Starting My Vinyl Collection

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarvius, Jul 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

Vinyl is cool, but it's a hipster thing now, so you'll spend $25 for a used album I bought for $1 to $5 in the 90s. They scratch if you look at them wrong, and even if you don't, they will suck dust out of every room in your house while you sleep. Oh, and if you buy new albums in vinyl, they're not going to sound as warm because they're still recorded with cold digital equipment. And changing sides after 12 minutes of music kinda sucks.

But, vinyl is cool, and you'll love the whole thing about browsing record stores and getting them home and looking at them, even before you play them.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

You can't go wrong starting your collection off with the complete LZ catalogue. All good. Enjoy!

Henryflowr and benzo like this.
  3. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Dennis0675 likes this.
  4. shinedaddy

shinedaddy Forum Resident

do i see a whole shelf of nothing but Zeppelin LPS???

5. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

Vinyl for the same price as the CD? I'm going to have to come to your neighborhood to shop! I don't want to discourage you, but now's a much better time to be collecting used CDs... you can get them for pennies on the dollar. I got into vinyl for a little while but it's so trendy now that it's way too expensive for me. I started buying CDs again about a year ago and am loving it. But as long as you're digging it and you have the cash, have a ball!... it's a lot of fun!

Jarvius likes this.
  6. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Where in OS are you finding vinyls?

7. Jarvius

Jarvius Forum Resident Thread Starter

Actually, the store I went to, has all the forum favorites for $6-$25. Used & sealed. I seen The Wall for $8. Marvin Gaye's Live at The Palladium for $11.

8. Jarvius

Maynard's. It's on Government RD. right across from the high school.

phish likes this.
  9. Jarvius

Thanks man. I just get a feel from holding vinyls, that I don't get from CDs.

Mr Bass and agaraffa like this.
  10. Jack Flash

I'd check the condition on The Wall, seems too good to be true. In California they're uber expensive. My vinyl collection from the 90s and 00s has probably quadrupled in value from what I paid for it.

Jarvius likes this.
  11. David67

David67 Forum Resident

12. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

As long as I could get the album on and off the table and the needle on and off the album without damage I would.

13. Jack Flash

CDs are like office supplies. Total boring plastic, soul-less junk really. Can't understand why we all went so gaga for them in the 80s. Probably because it was something new and you didn't have to change the sides, and could play them in your car. I hate CDs, though. Got rid of all of mine. Vinyl and Spotify are all I need.

Scott222C likes this.
  14. Jarvius

Oh I checked it. The cover is dingy. The record itself is in good condition.

15. Jarvius

I honestly use CDs because you can take them on the go during road trips. If known what I know now, I would've started my vinyl collection instead of CDs.

16. agaraffa

agaraffa Senior Member

I completely agree... I like vinyl too, it's just too damn expensive for me now. The record shop that I go to used to be all CD's in the main room and they had a couple of shelves in the back with used vinyl... that was several years ago. Now it's the exact opposite. For me nothing has changed... I'm still shopping on those shelves in the back room. :laugh:

Jarvius likes this.
  17. Jack Flash

Yeah, I hear you, I wish I still had all the albums I sold for like $20 in the 80s to buy my first couple CDs. Actually, I ended up buying most of them back.

Before CDs, I used to record my albums on cassettes for the car. Now you can just record your vinyl albums onto MP3s for the car. Or, just use Spotify, you can play it in the car. CDs are passe and unnecessary now.

Jarvius likes this.
  18. If vinyl is expensive in California, hit the thrift shops even more diligently!

You'll learn to beat the hipsters to it. When you notice movements of stock about to hit the floor, a polite inquiry to the floor clerk ("Any new vinyl coming up today?") may get you a long way! Sometimes they are more than happy to even let you help them unload their wheel cart since you asked!

19. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

I was born in 1990, so CD's (and the tail-end of cassettes) was the norm for me. Having loved Queen from infancy my uncle gave me his Queen records when I was a nipper, and my neighbour gave me her old record player. By the time I was about 16, I had everything Queen ever did on LP (except Made In Heaven which is rare on vinyl), a large amount of their British 45's... plus plenty of other stuff. Ended up with some really old shellac stuff from my grandma, plenty of Motown 45's from her too, so you could say I've been collecting from an early age. My entire music collection, barring a couple of CD's, were stolen during a house move and I never recovered them. Nothing really worth that much, but that was a childhood worth of stuff.

So I've had to start again, starting last September. It's been fun to start again, but it's a pain in the **** that vinyl are going for as much as they are right now.

Where do you people get the majority of your stuff nowadays? Record shops? Bargain bins? Discogs/eBay? And what's the general view on reissues?

20. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm confused. Are you saying you are buying records, you don't have a record player and you are going to buy one for $30 at some point?

21. Jarvius

What? Lol

1. I'm starting a record collection on Friday.
    2. I'm buying a record player on Friday, for $30.
    3. I'm buying records on Friday.

I should've been more detailish.

22. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I don't mean to come across poorly but I don't think there is any sense is starting a record collection if you can't spend more than $30 on a table.

23. Jarvius

All I need is something to play a record. Nothing more, nothing less.

24. Jack Flash

What?

Maybe that's all he can afford right now? :doh:

He can enjoy music on a $30 turntable just as easily as he could on a $3000 turntable.

What do you think people played all those early Beatles and Stones albums on?

25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

your needs are certainly your business and you have been around here long enough that you don't need me to explain anything. Good luck and enjoy the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.