Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Yay! Rock Til You Drop. Never need an excuse to play this one, just wish i had the cassette/cd version for extra tracks, only have the vinyl. Nevermind.

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  2. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

1991: Rock ‘Til You Drop
    [​IMG]

1991: Rock ‘Til You Drop

1. Like A Zombie (Rossi/Frost) 5:03 L
    2. All We Really Wanna Do (Polly) (Rossi/Frost) 3:47
    3. Fakin' The Blues (Rossi/Frost) 4:29 L
    4. One Man Band (Parfitt/Williams) 4:31 L
    5. Rock 'Til You Drop (Bown) 3:21 L
    6. Can't Give You More (Rossi/Young) [new version] 4:27 (L)
    7. Warning Shot (Bown/Edwards) 3:58
    8. Let's Work Together (Wilbert Harrison) 3:41 L
    9. Bring It On Home (Sam Cooke) 3:10
    10. No Problems (Rossi/Parfitt) 4:51

Only on CD version, not LP:

11. Good Sign (Parfitt/Williams) 4:15
    12. Tommy (Rossi/Frost) 3:50 [new version]
    13. Nothing Comes Easy (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 5:46
    14. Fame Or Money (Rossi/Bown) 4:06
    15. Price Of Love (Everly/Everly) [new version] 3:39 (L)
    16. Forty Five Hundred Times (Rossi/Parfitt) [new version] 12:56 L

Missing bonus tracks:

1. Dead in the Water (Rossi/Bown) 3:47 [B-Side of “Can’t Give You More”]
    2. Mysteries from the Ball (Rossi/Parfitt) 3:46 [B-Side of “Can’t Give You More” 12”]
    3. Better Times (Rossi/Frost) 3:25 [“Fakin’ the Blues” CD single]
    4. Heavy Daze (Parfitt/Williams) 4:12 [“Fakin’ the Blues” CD single]
    5. Brit Awards Medley 3:52 [B-Side of “Rock ‘Til You Drop”]
    a. Caroline (Rossi/Young)
    b. Down Down (Rossi/Young)
    c. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown)
    d. Rockin' All Over the World (Fogerty)

After the non-event of “Perfect Remedy”, Quo decided to change direction. “Back to the roots” it was. For the first time, Francis took on the role as producer, and the LP was deliberately recorded live as a band, on a stage via mobile studio – pretty much like the classic FF albums. What makes it different is two things: David Walker wanted Quo to do a covers album (not surprising after the success of “Anniversary Waltz”), in the end “Rock ‘Til You Drop” ended up being a compromise with ten new songs, two new covers (“Let’s Work Together” already being part of “Anniversary Waltz”) and four re-recorded Quo songs (one of them a cover in itself, the Everly Brothers song “Price of Love”). Those numbers are only valid for the CD version – which was the longest Quo album to date. The LP simply omitted tracks 11-16. Even the CD doesn’t include all the tracks recorded during the sessions, as four more songs plus a medley of the old classics were only released on b-sides (the “Fakin' the Blues” CD single wasn’t even properly released back then) and the 2006 remaster (which also included the typo “Forty-Five Thousand Times”) didn't include ANY bonus tracks.

It’s also interesting to look at the writing credits: Despite being dropped as a producer after three albums in a row, Pip Williams co-wrote two album tracks (plus one b-side) with Rick. “No Problems” marked one of the last Rossi/Parfitt collaborations and “Nothing Comes Easy” is one of only four songs credited to the entire 1985-2000 line-up. And the title track – which is a ballad in the “Rock ‘n’ Roll” vein – was written by Andy Bown!

The other, possibly more important, influence of the management was the promotion stunt that helped to make the album successful. In keeping with the album title, Status Quo decided to perform four concerts in one day, flying from one venue to another by helicopter. Those gigs were a bit shorter than the usual Quo setlist but still full-blown live concerts, and Quo earned themselves an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records. A VHS made up of excerpts from all four gigs was later released.

Rock ‘Til You Drop – The Live Event (1991)

1. Sheffield Medley
    a. Mystery Song
    b. Railroad
    c. Most of the Time
    d. Wild Side of Life
    e. Rollin’ Home
    f. Again and Again
    g. Slow Train
    Glasgow
    2. Down Down
    3. Roll Over Lay Down
    Birmingham
    4. Little Lady
    5. Whatever You Want
    Wembley
    6. Rockin’ All Over the World
    7. Burning Bridges
    8. Bye Bye Johnny

Almost Simon likes this.
  3. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Rock Til You Drop was a huge step up from the last 2 dogs.
    Could live without the re-recordings of old Quo tracks, but the rest was solid.

Almost Simon and JulesRules like this.
  4. Almost Simon

Went to the 4th show of 4 on the Rock til you Drop tour in one day - along with Johns44 - my first Quo show. Bloody superb. Raw show and they were late on stage but a wonderful atmosphere.

As for the album, there surely can't be too many naysayers, it is very good in my opinion. Favourite track off the top of my head - One Man Band. Need to give the vinyl a play tomorrow. Also need to get the cd version with extra tracks. Probably cheap online.

Man at C&A and JulesRules like this.
  5. Almost Simon

The whole of the documentary is on youtube. Just posting the end, which might be annoying for some but as i went to the show its good to be reminded.

melstapler likes this.
  6. Almost Simon

Great track

melstapler likes this.
  7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Haven't heard this one. Looking forward to reading people's opinions.

8. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

1. Like A Zombie (Rossi/Frost) 5:03 Great start. Seem to remember this being played live for a while.
    2. All We Really Wanna Do (Polly) (Rossi/Frost) 3:47 Rossi loves this and it is as catchy as can be. Can't help but like it
    3. Fakin' The Blues (Rossi/Frost) 4:29 Not a big fan of this one and could never understand why the record company thought it would be a good single. It's ok but that's it
    4. One Man Band (Parfitt/Williams) 4:31 Brilliant. Great song and very singalong too. Think was also done live.
    5. Rock 'Til You Drop (Bown) 3:21 Really like this as it is as far away from the actual title as you can get. However Should never have been a single.
    6. Can't Give You More (Rossi/Young) [new version] 4:27 Bit of a pointless remake, but they did it for a link up to Perrier water I believe, but that deal didn't come off (explains the Eau, eau, eau, eau bit instead of woh, oh, oh, oh)
    7. Warning Shot (Bown/Edwards) 3:58 Now I love this and it should have been a single. Brilliant
    8. Let's Work Together (Wilbert Harrison) 3:41 Like this too
    9. Bring It On Home (Sam Cooke) 3:10 this one is ok but not essential listening
    10. No Problems (Rossi/Parfitt) 4:51 Excellent.

Only on CD version, not LP:

11. Good Sign (Parfitt/Williams) 4:15 Excellent
    12. Tommy (Rossi/Frost) 3:50 [new version] Still rubbish
    13. Nothing Comes Easy (Rossi/Parfitt/Bown/Edwards/Rich) 5:46 Came out of a jam I think . Really like it and it sounds a bit different
    14. Fame Or Money (Rossi/Bown) 4:06 like this one too
    15. Price Of Love (Everly/Everly) [new version] 3:39 Like their original cover and I like this one too
    16. Forty Five Hundred Times (Rossi/Parfitt) [new version] 12:56 Now I will be lynched by some, but I think this is better than the Hello version. One of my favourite ever Quo songs no matter which version

Missing bonus tracks:
    Really should have gone on the album instead of the covers as every single one of these is excellent.
    1. Dead in the Water (Rossi/Bown) 3:47 [B-Side of “Can’t Give You More”]
    2. Mysteries from the Ball (Rossi/Parfitt) 3:46 [B-Side of “Can’t Give You More” 12”]
    3. Better Times (Rossi/Frost) 3:25 [“Fakin’ the Blues” CD single]
    4. Heavy Daze (Parfitt/Williams) 4:12 [“Fakin’ the Blues” CD single]

Can't really say too many bad words about the album. Still sounds great even today. Gives some of the 70's albums a run for their money.

Took time off work to get it signed at HMV in Oxford Street.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Glad I found this thread! One of my favorite bands! Saw them in St. Louis back in the 70s on back to back nights and they opened up for and blew Wishbone Ash off the stage (both nights)! And I love classic Wishbone Ash!

My question, anyone going after the Music On Vinyl 2 LP Collected set on limited purple vinyl, coming at the end of the month? Kind of an odd collection, but still looks good though.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great! Up to Rock Til' You Drop. I have only ever played this once and have been waiting for this thread to get here to give it a spin.

I only have the vinyl so will only hear the first 10 tracks. But that's OK. I prefer albums to be around 40 minutes anyway.

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Now I see what this is, just an edited down collection of the CD version with less songs and the gimmick of colored vinyl.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

OK. Started Rock Til You Drop...

Thoughts as it plays:

1. Like A Zombie - great opener. Sounds like proper Quo.

2. All We Really Want To Do - another great sounding track. I like the production on this album. Nice soloing and guitar sounds from Francis. It got the head moving as all classic Quo should!

3. Fakin' The Blues - Good track but almost a single? What were they thinking?! I like this one too.

4. One Man Band - Yes! Great riff and Parfitt singing well. This is a bloody good album... the heads moving again! I've always slagged off Jeff Rich but he's good here.

5. Rock Til' You Drop - Always liked this one. Reminds me of Rock 'n' Roll, which I've always liked too.

End of side one - the best album side from Quo since Whatever You Want.

6. Can't Give You More - Really like this song. Prefer the original, but the John Eden remix from the 2015 Rockin' All Over The World deluxe sounds better. This is good and doesn't ruin the album. Don't like the keyboards and extra backing vocals though.

7. Warning Shot - Not what I expected to hear! I think I like it! Unusual for certain. Some nice guitar sounds on this album. Not my favourite track but fine.

8. Let's Work Together - It's Quo doing Let's Work Together and that's all. Good song covered by good band. Fine, but I'm thinking Quo were inspired and thinking along the right lines on this album, so it's a shame they compromised it with re-recordings and covers. Enjoyable, but totally nonessential.

9. Bring It On Home To Me - Don't like this. We have the sublime Sam Cooke and Animals versions so this is totally pointless. Francis can't hit the notes and it doesn't suit his voice. The backing sounds like a pub covers band. I wish they'd missed this off the vinyl. Crap, but the first crap one.

10 - No Problems - Yes! Great intro - the heads moving again!

This has been a very enjoyable listen and a pleasant surprise. To think I almost sold this record! That's not happening now!

I wish they'd have made the edited vinyl all Quo originals. It could have been a hidden Quo classic for us vinyl fans. The production is excellent and it's aged well. They've got their sound right again here. The sleeve is appalling and the covers compromise it, but it's a fine record and has made me realise the Jeff Rich & Rhino line up could get a good studio sound.

Nice record. Sounds great on vinyl too. As does all Quo.

JulesRules likes this.
  13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Hello. Been away for a while so just catching up on the mid 70's! Just like to throw in 83's 'To Be Or Not To Be'. Had the cassette in '85. Other than '12 Gold Bars I + II' that was all I had then. Loved that tape. Picked up the LP not so long ago and it's still one of my favourite compilations.

Listening to 'Rock 'Til You Drop' now. Used to have the CD back when it came out. I was losing interest in their new stuff around the time, listening to the early 70's LP's. I used to put it on only for '4500 Times'. Listening to it now, quietly, since my girlfriend's in bed on nights! '4500 Times' is just as good as I remember. The rest of the LP isn't too bad, the odd duffer. The bonus tracks haven't added much, but the LP is better than I remember.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

And next up?

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thirsty Work next?

16. JulesRules

No, Live Alive Quo which will be up in a few minutes, and Thirsty Work will follow swiftly.

17. JulesRules

1993: Live Alive Quo
    [​IMG]

1993: Live Alive Quo

1. Whatever You Want (Parfitt/Bown) 4:26
    2. In The Army Now (Bolland/Bolland) 4:15
    3. Burning Bridges (Rossi/Bown) 3:51
    4. Rockin' All Over The World (Fogerty) 3:36
    5. Roadhouse Medley 20:19
    a. Roadhouse Blues (Doors) 6:52
    b. The Wanderer (Ernie Maresca)
    c. Marguerita Time (Rossi/Frost)
    d. Living on an Island (Parfitt/Young)
    e. Break the Rules (Rossi/Young/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan)
    f. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like (Supa)
    g. Price of Love (Everly/Everly)
    h. Roadhouse Blues (Doors)​
    6. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 3:59
    7. Don't Drive My Car (Parfitt/Bown) 4:04
    8. Hold You Back (Rossi/Parfitt/Young) 4:31
    9. Little Lady (Parfitt) 3:25

2006 Bonus Track:

10. Roadhouse Medley [Radio Edit] 4:40 [A-Side]
    Birmingham, Sutton Park 30.8.1992 (Tracks 1-6)

Wembley Arena, London, December 1990 (Tracks 7-9)

Other versions

1. Roadhouse Medley [Extended Version] 7:34 [B-Side]
    g. Price of Love (Everly/Everly)
    h. Roadhouse Blues (Doors) [Excerpt]​
    2. Roadhouse Mix 13:27 [“Roadhouse Medley” CD single]
    a. The Wanderer (Ernie Maresca)
    b. Marguerita Time (Rossi/Frost)
    c. Living on an Island (Parfitt/Young)
    d. Break the Rules (Rossi/Young/Parfitt/Lancaster/Coghlan)
    e. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like (Supa)
    f. Price of Love (Everly/Everly)
    g. Roadhouse Blues (Doors) [Full]​

Roughly ten years after the last concert release, Status Quo recorded another live album. And like “Live at the N.E.C.” it was another rather short affair compared to usual Quo setlists of the era, but in this case it isn’t due to edits but because the main part of the live album was recorded at a festival, “Party in the Park” – also broadcast via BBC (the radio recording was later released on the “Live at the BBC” set and doesn’t feature any overdubs, whereas some solos were redone on the original live album). Three more tracks recorded a full two years earlier help to make this album a bit longer than a typical LP length, but it’s still nowhere a proper live album or even a full CD. And like the ’82 album, it’s quite a pity because there would have been lots of songs that hadn’t been available in live versions yet. There are some new songs here (“In the Army Now”, “Burning Bridges”, and a couple of tracks in the medley), but we also get the 3rd official live versions of “Caroline” and “Little Lady”.

The single edit of “Roadhouse Medley” was released with the subtitle “Anniversary Waltz, Pt. 25”.

18. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Live Alive Quo - well what can you say? It's ok but not a patch on "the Live" album. Some songs are played too fast. Not one I listen to that much. Great cover though.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

I honestly can't remember this one. I know from this era they were a great live band but I don't think I'd want to sit down and listen to a live album, if you get what I mean. You really needed to be at the show to enjoy it. With Live at Glasgow it doesn't matter one bit whether you were there or not, its a bloody great album. Same goes for Tokyo Quo, to a lesser degree, but I'm sure you get my point.

20. Almost Simon

20 minutes of medley on a live album:shake: I have nothing more to say until the next studio album comes along :)

21. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I think because the BBC show was one of those short sets that they had to fill out to make an album out of it. I definitely think Quo were much better live actually being there than "live" on record.

Man at C&A and Almost Simon like this.
  22. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Found a copy of 'Rock Til You Drop' on LP today, so I picked it up. Fiver.

Almost Simon likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Up soon though, surely? Has been a long time since i listened to this one.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's one of the few I've never heard. At this point I'd completely lost interest in Quo and wasn't listening to them at all. A few years later I was at a friends and he put 12 Gold Bars on. That was it, I was back into Quo. He played me Ma Kelly's, which I hadn't heard then. I picked up just about all Quo's albums and liked them more than ever!

Me and another friend had another light hearted challenge going on for a year or two around this time. It was too see who could get a full Quo collection from Dog of Two Head onwards, without paying more than £1 for any of them! We both ended up with a lot of Quo albums...

25. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

I don't own Thirsty Work either, I have some of the later albums but not the ones in this sort of "mid period" Quo.