Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm still following this thread and enjoying it. I hope it gets seen through to the end. There's some interesting stuff to come, from the sublime to the terrible!

I haven't been contributing as much as there have been a lot of albums I don't have, compilation albums and covers albums recently.

I liked Heavy Traffic a lot and the first time I saw Quo was on the XS All Areas tour. They were fantastic! It was a real rocker of a show and one of the best times I saw them. With that tour, the compilation CD and the Heavy Traffic album Quo became a credible rock band again and I remember them getting their first good reviews in years. A really good era for Quo. Tracks I like include Blues and Rhythm, Solid Gold and You'll Come Round, but there's more.

I haven't played The Party Ain't Over Yet since it was new but remember enjoying it. The DVD was excellent along with The One and Only Status Quo DVD. It was great to get the 1970 Doin' Our Thing TV show released.

Keep up the good work JulesRules! This is a great thread even if it's appeal is becoming more selective!

Almost Simon and JulesRules like this.
  3. JulesRules

2007: In Search of the Fourth Chord
    [​IMG]

2007-2008: In Search of the Fourth Chord and It’s Christmas Time

1. Beginning of the End (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 L
    2. Alright (Parfitt/Wayne Morris) 4:12
    3. Pennsylvania Blues Tonight (Rossi/Young) 3:41
    4. I Don’t Wanna Hurt You Anymore (Rossi/Young) 3:59
    5. Electric Arena (Rossi/Young) 5:22
    6. Gravy Train (Edwards) 3:23 L
    7. Figure of Eight (Bown) 4:07
    8. You’re the One for Me (Letley) 3:31
    9. My Little Heartbreaker (Rossi/Young) 3:50
    10. Hold Me (Parfitt/Morris/Simon Climie) 4:35
    11. Saddling Up (Rossi/Bown) 3:41
    12. Bad News (Edwards) 5:05
    13. Tongue Tied (Rossi/Young) 4:24

Bonus Track:

14. One By One (Parfitt/Young) 4:13 [European release]
    14. I Ain’t Wasting My Time (Rossi/Young) 3:35 [UK release]

[​IMG]

“Still in search of the fourth chord – Tour Edition” CD 2:

1. Caroline [Live]
    2. Beginning of the End [Live]
    3. In the Army Now [Live]
    4. Down Down [Live]
    5. Whatever You Want [Live]
    6. Rockin' All Over the World [Live]
    7. Beginning of the End [Video]

Missing bonus tracks:

1. It’s Christmas Time (recorded during “Fourth Chord” sessions, released later)
    2. It's Christmas Time (Quo-eoke Mix)
    3. I Don’t Wanna Hurt You Anymore (Rossi/Young demo)
    4. Let’s Change the World (Rossi/Young demo)
    5. Bad News (Rhino / Woodedz demo)
    In Search of the Fourth Chord – Early Mixes
    6. Beginning of the End
    7. Alright
    8. Pennsylvania Blues Tonight
    9. I Don’t Wanna Hurt You Anymore
    10. Electric Arena
    11. Figure of Eight

Additional personnel:

Pip Williams – Additional Guitars
    Bob Young – Harmonica on “Pennsylvania Blues Tonight”, “My Little Heartbreaker”, “I Ain’t Wasting My Time”
    Kevin McAlea – Piano on “I Don’t Want to Hurt You Anymore”
    Freddie Edwards – 2nd and 3rd guitar solo on “Bad News”
    Daniel Jackman – second bass on “Tongue Tied”
    Laura Macara – Choir on “Tongue Tied”
    Chloë du Pré – Choir on “Tongue Tied”, Cello on “One by One”
    Gregg Jackman – Logic Programming

2007 was a very good year for Status Quo. After several attempts to score hit singles with songs by outside writers, Francis finally decided he didn't want to record any more covers. This Quo album would be the first one with exclusively self-penned material since 1989’s “Perfect Remedy”! This decision was tied in with Quo finally “doing their (own) thing” by starting up their own label, Fourth Chord Records. Quo also aimed for getting something closer to their live sound this time, influenced by their live performances of older material (such as on “Just Doin’ It”). While there was some disagreement over album title and cover (apparently Francis favoured the title “Electric Arena”), I think the result isn’t just convincing, it’s all-around stunning! I really get the impression they were going for a complete package (complete with fold-out “treasure map” booklet including drawings that refer to various songs), an artistic statement – something Quo possibly had done last in (gasp) 1979! Speaking of which, somebody once suggested that “Whatever You Want” and “In Search of the Fourth Chord” are ‘twin albums’. I never thought about it like that but there are similarities, not just because the two are the most guitar-oriented productions Pip Williams did with Quo.

And speaking of production, there is a vast quality difference between Mike Paxman’s mud of the previous releases and Pip’s sparkling clear, heavy and well-balanced sound (it’s one of the few records on which you can actually hear and feel Rhino’s bass playing), which was unfortunately compromised somewhat by a very compressed mastering job (supposedly the vinyl LP is much better in that regard). On to the songs, and I won’t even try to write in an objective style… (and yes, you can find some rather unusual/surprising chords somewhere in several of the songs. The title isn’t just a self-deprecating joke.)

Beginning of the End: “Now, let’s listen to the music and try to identify the chord!” Great! This intriguing opening is then followed by one guitar, soon joined by another one, then – blam! Quo could write singles again! Although, it has to be said, this song does have the same Achilles’ heel as several other Quo songs to come: it is too wordy, and thus could never really be reproduced adequately live. Despite this deficiency, it has never left the set since 2007. But yeah, I don’t think they ever managed to improve upon the studio version, which just rocks like mad. And Francis’ solo is short but good! Obviously he needs someone to challenge him – and Pip (himself a good guitar player) did exactly that.

Alright: Alright. Here we go. Rick would later speak not so fondly of this album, and maybe that is because he didn't write a lot for it (but still more than for “Thirsty Work”!). While “Alright” doesn’t quite knock me off my socks like “Beginning of the End” does, it is nevertheless a very competent rock song with several good riffs, a memorable chorus and a band that really sounds like they’re enjoying playing. Good!

Pennsylvania Blues Tonight: Nice to have a change of pace after two heavy tracks. This is an unusual type of Quo song, dark, atmospheric and brooding (with co-writer Bob’s blues harp in the background) before it explodes into a wonderful minor chorus, which includes nods to Francis’ heroes “Jeffrey Lynne and George H.” – overall a very convincing song, IMO.

I Don't Wanna Hurt You Anymore: This is the type of Rossi song I'm always a bit wary of. To me it’s too obvious, too sing-a-long-y, too much of a forced sounding melody. But it’s the relentless energy of the performance (including a great guitar solo in the outro), and also the production (listen to the intro!), that saves it for me. Four songs in and not a really weak track so far…

Electric Arena: Omigosh! STATUS QUO DO A SLOW BLUES BALLAD OH GOD I CAN’T BELIEVE IT… I think those were some of my initial thoughts when I first heard this. And, by golly gosh, it’s delightful. Francis’ guitar playing, the descending left-hand piano notes, the wistful lyrics… wonderful stuff. Can this get any better?

Gravy Train: A loud and resounding YES! Rhino steps out of the shadow and delivers his first Quo song as a sole writer. It’s sung by Rick though, which isn’t a bad choice considering he didn't write too much for the album. Rhino’s punk roots are clearly audible in this short but relentless onslaught of aggressive energy. Basically, this is one of the heaviest tracks Quo have ever done, and yet there is a typical shuffle rhythm at the heart of it – and a Doors-style organ playing against the guitar riff! This track was tried out live, but dropped rather quickly, which meant that this album was seriously underrepresented live.

Figure of Eight: This song, written solely by Andy, takes the energy down a notch but keeps up the songwriting quality. The main riff / chorus is very catchy (something also noted by John Eden, who said he couldn’t get it out of his head – it was the first Quo album he heard since the 80s), the verses have lovely descending chord sequences and funny lyrics. Then there’s a “spherical” part which leads into a guitar solo. Great stuff!

You’re the One for Me: It goes to show that the band was really inspired when even the drummer can write a song that doesn’t sound out of place! Matt actually was the first Quo drummer to have written a Quo song on his own (and it wasn’t his last one), and surprisingly it is driven along by a very fine guitar riff. The main vocal melody does sound a bit more ordinary, as do the lyrics. But the instrumental parts with ominous droning slide guitars and bleeping keyboards are quite noteworthy.

My Little Heartbreaker: Finally, we have arrived at a rather average song. I do like the opening riff and the verses, but it is let down by the stomping chorus which always makes me think of beer tents. It just sounds cheap. The song is saved by the wonderfully melodic guitar solos and Rhino’s tritones in the fade.

Hold Me: Ooh, suspenseful intro… where could that lead us? We’re in Rick’s second songwriting contribution and it is quite different from the previous tracks. Apparently he started working on this song with Simon Climie (of Climie Fisher fame, also famous/notorious for being Eric Clapton’s favourite producer in the late 90s and early 2000s), but only later finished it with his new songwriting partner Wayne Morris (who had been a support act for Quo on tour). To me, this is a song that harkens back to Quo’s 80s work and Rick’s songs from that period (think “End of the Line”), but at the same time it also sounds very modern and up-to-date, particularly at the beginning and the end. I like it – Quo should be allowed to do dark and dramatic every now and then.

Saddling Up: Oh, I just love this one. The fun country influence, Matt’s hi-hat, Francis singing very low (and sounding very cool doing so), Andy’s blues harp in the background; the funny lyrics (“shouldn’t have called me cactus face”). The negative aspects: The recycled intro (and it’s not the last time Quo would use it!) and the guitar solo appearing a bit too early.

Bad News: There were two 5+ minute songs on TPAOY, there are two 5+ minute songs on ISOTFC. But this is in a different category altogether. The second Quo song written purely by Rhino is also sung by him, and it’s an epic! We didn't have Quo songs like this for a long time. A heavy guitar riff starts it off, the rest of the band joins and we’re in for the ride. While Rhino is obviously not the world’s best singer, I find his voice to be well suited to the track with its bluesy verses and the faux-“tough” lyrics. Also, a lot of time is taken up by those fantastic instrumental passages – no less than three guitar solos! The first one is played by Francis, the second and third (separated by a badass unison passage) were done by Rhino’s son, Freddie Edwards. And there are two pauses in the song, the first one culminating in a wonderful crescendo that leads into the second solo. A final reprise of the chorus gives way to the stomping finale with hammering guitars and growling organ. Phew! What a track! Does it rip off “Roll Over Lay Down”? Maybe. I don't care. It’s good enough to stand up on its own. It would be a great live track (and actually is part of the live set when Rhino goes on tour with Rhino’s Revenge). It’s a great way to end a great album. Oh, wait…

Tongue Tied: Yeah, so Quo really undermine the great impression that “Bad News” left with this ballad. I know Francis is very fond of it, but to me it just sounds like a wannabe “Imagine” (complete with Beatlesque broken piano chords), and Francis’ voice breaking on the high notes isn’t something I particularly enjoy hearing.

Despite the voice asking whether one has managed to find “it”, it’s not fully over yet, as most versions of the album include at least one bonus track (“One by One” on my version)…

One by One: You may remember this track from the ‘78/’79 period (there are two demos on the “If You Can’t Stand the Heat” deluxe edition). It was a Parfitt/Young song that had fallen into oblivion, but was rediscovered by Bob Young and swiftly recorded as a proper studio version. While the original version was more of a dramatic Pink Floyd style track, the re-recording reminds me of Gary Moore’s beautiful but sad ballads – somewhat more fitting when you consider the lyrics, which also sound far more poignant with Rick’s aged voice. Overall, I think it’s one of the best things Rick has ever written, but it does sound slightly out of place after a mostly up-tempo album that was already finished by a reflective ballad.

I Ain’t Wasting My Time: Now this is something very different! And in a way, I'm angry that we here in Germany didn't get this song too (although it was later included on the “In the Army Now 2010” EP). A heavy and upbeat blues shuffle, much more in line with the ISOTFC sound than “One by One”, it even features Bob playing a full-blown blues harp solo! Some fans think this is the best song Quo did after the end of the original line-up, but I think that’s a bit much. It’s definitely excellent though. The reason the song ends so soon is due to the fact that Francis’ solo “broke off” midway through and he was reluctant to do another one… ah, the good ole’ days…

Now while I have mixed feelings about “Tongue Tied” and both bonus tracks (because they don't seem to fit all that well into the album itself), I'm still very fond of this record. It has lots of excellent tracks, features a band at the top of their game, inventive arrangements and great production. The middle group of tracks also impresses because of its great ‘flow’, like back in the days of LP. Also, consider this: Even if I were to edit out the songs I'm not so crazy about, it would still be a longer album than Piledriver or Hello! And I think that can’t be a bad thing. The band’s ability to bounce back from artistic failure had already become somewhat legendary by now, but Status Quo’s 2007 album is (IMO) nothing less than an artistic triumph. It’s energetic and diverse. It stands up to the best of their catalogue. It’s the final proof that this band could still pull it off. Thank you. :righton:

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Wow! High praise indeed! I'll have to give this one a listen. I like The Beginning of the End. It sounds great and has a strong chorus. Sadly I don't like the lyrics in the verses.

The 'happy days are here again, it's official from number 10' lyric always reminds me of when they bought David Cameron a bottle of wine when he became Prime Minister. I don't want to go into politics but personally, I hate the Conservative party and all who support them. I don't usually put an IMO on messages, it should go without saying, but one belongs here.

ajsmith and JulesRules like this.
  5. JulesRules

"All change on the roundabout"... I think the lyrics are quite ambiguous. "See the picture in the Sun." Now that's sarcastic.

Here's the video, by the way:

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Have to admit I was expecting you to go negative. I've always liked this one, sure, it has been a while since I listened to it in full but I've got the MP3's here and loading up for a listen. Good album. Lets see if its as good as I remember.

JulesRules likes this.
  7. Almost Simon

Great single, another crumby video. Apologies but really dislike these Quo grin-fest video's. Yours Grumpy-Almost Simon :rolleyes:

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The lyrics are ambiguous, but buying Cameron a present made me cringe. To be fair, it will have been a crass publicity stunt, something we've had many of from the Quo over the years. I still love 'em though.

JulesRules likes this.
  9. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Don't remember whether I've even heard this. Have to find a copy.

Not the kind of thing you like to hear. One reason I stay away from biographies mostly.

Anyone heard the vinyl re-issue of this? Any cop?

10. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

While I pretty much know all the songs without thinking about it, I'll give the album a proper listen tonight. However ahead of that I will say I've always loved Electric Arena, Saddlin' Up (I know some Quo fans hate it but it is so damn catchy) and the bet song on the album by far is Bad News - brilliant, fantastic and I must be one of the few who like Rhino's singing.

JulesRules likes this.
  11. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Didn't get round to listening to it so this is from memory (at least what's left of it)

2007-2008: In Search of the Fourth Chord and It’s Christmas Time

1. Beginning of the End (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 L Fantastic single and I'm pretty sure the lyrics are meant with a hint of sarcasm. great opener
    2. Alright (Parfitt/Wayne Morris) 4:12 I have a love/hate relationship with this one. However at this moment in time I like it
    3. Pennsylvania Blues Tonight (Rossi/Young) 3:41 Love this one. Different for Quo, but excellent
    4. I Don’t Wanna Hurt You Anymore (Rossi/Young) 3:59 Good album track
    5. Electric Arena (Rossi/Young) 5:22 Love this one too. They should do more like this
    6. Gravy Train (Edwards) 3:23 L I heard Rhino's version in the lead up to the album verrsion and it's much better. Bit messy on here
    7. Figure of Eight (Bown) 4:07 Very very catchy and none the worse for it
    8. You’re the One for Me (Letley) 3:31 Hey a drummer writes a decent tune. Very good
    9. My Little Heartbreaker (Rossi/Young) 3:50 this one is ok
    10. Hold Me (Parfitt/Morris/Simon Climie) 4:35 decent but not special
    11. Saddling Up (Rossi/Bown) 3:41 Love it. I know some fans will hate it because it has that country feel, but what the hell it is great
    12. Bad News (Edwards) 5:05 Best song on the album by a mile. Heavy and rocks big time
    13. Tongue Tied (Rossi/Young) 4:24 Apparently Francis wanted to do the vocal again but everyone said leave it. Kind of fragile. People are raving about Rick's fragile vocal on "Without You" from his solo album but I remember Frame getting slagged off for this one. out of the 2 I prefer Tongue Tied

Bonus Track:

14. One By One (Parfitt/Young) 4:13 [European release] Absolutely awful
    14. I Ain’t Wasting My Time (Rossi/Young) 3:35 [UK release] this is ok

It's Christmas Time - Should have been huge at Christmas as it is a brilliant festive tune. Trouble is Quo's management but all their eggs in the Woolworth basket and they went bust just before Christmas!!

12. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Well, I haven't heard this album but you lot have certainly sold it to me. I shall pick it up the next time I'm in town & let you know what I think!

13. Almost Simon

Its a cracking album, I really like Alright. I should make time to post my full review.

Its Christmas Time is superb, deserves to be included on every Christmas cd collection. I play it each year. Not right now though.

JulesRules, Johns44 and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Must be time for Quid Pro Quo now;)

JulesRules and Almost Simon like this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I recall liking the Beginning of the End but I don't recall much else about this one. I think I still have it somewhere.

JulesRules and Man at C&A like this.
  16. JulesRules

Not quite. There was a long break between those two albums, so you'll first see some other stuff. Also, we still need @Almost Simon's review :righton:

I saw Francis with "Rock Meets Classic" last week, by the way.

Almost Simon likes this.
  17. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Okay doke Jules.

Yeah Simon needs to get his finger out and give us a review.

Have In Search....in the car today. Definitely liking Alright better than I remembered. Also made me remember that Hold Me is very similar to a Chris Rea song (Auberge I think).

Hope you had a great time at Rock Meets Classics. From what I've seen online Francis seems to be doing a great job.

Almost Simon and JulesRules like this.
  18. JulesRules

That's what it says in the allmusic review, but I'm not sure I hear it :shh: Love both songs though.
    Francis was in a very good mood, talking a lot and singing and playing well. The orchestra was somewhat superfluous on the Quo tracks (but did have some good moments earlier in the show - which also featured Michael Sadler from Saga, Eric Bazilian from The Hooters, John Helliwell & Jesse Siebenberg from Supertramp and two guys from Gotthard - I didn't only go because of Francis!) but the band were playing tight and the atmosphere was really great. Everybody was bouncing around to "Burning Bridges" :goodie::goodie::goodie:

melstapler likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

In Search of the Fourth Chord

1. Beginning of the End (Rossi/Edwards) 4:29 L Great single, listening again without the aid of that video on the London eye. Superb.
    2. Alright (Parfitt/Wayne Morris) 4:12 I really like this, best Rick song in quite a while. Good pre-chorus, chorus is pretty good too.
    3. Pennsylvania Blues Tonight (Rossi/Young) 3:41 Would prefer a rockier production, sounds almost like a drum machine, very good chorus, best part of the song.
    4. I Don’t Wanna Hurt You Anymore (Rossi/Young) 3:59 Not bad, 4 tracks in, very good.
    5. Electric Arena (Rossi/Young) 5:22 More bluesy, like this, this is the type of song where i wish Rossi didnt play a Telecaster, too thin sounding for solo's, needs a heavier guitar and this would rival those more renowned lead players.
    6. Gravy Train (Edwards) 3:23 L Not bad, vocals let it down a bit, holding back too much vocally, would've been better sung more flat out.
    7. Figure of Eight (Bown) 4:07 Aha, keyboards, i hadnt really noticed them so far but i guess on a tune written by Andy they would be prominent. Okay album track, weakest track so far, not a fan of that keyboard sound.
    8. You’re the One for Me (Letley) 3:31 Not bad at all.
    9. My Little Heartbreaker (Rossi/Young) 3:50 Again i do wish they played fatter sounding guitars. Telecaster is not the best lead instrument. Chorus is pretty good.
    10. Hold Me (Parfitt/Morris/Simon Climie) 4:35 okay, not a fan of Simon Climie for some of his writing and production with Eric Clapton, if his name is on an album I tend to tread carefully.
    11. Saddling Up (Rossi/Bown) 3:41 No, not really for me, doesnt sound like it fits on this album, B-side at best.
    12. Bad News (Edwards) 5:05 Not too bad, decent track.
    13. Tongue Tied (Rossi/Young) 4:24 Quite nice, a chilled one, like it.

Bonus Track:

14. One By One (Parfitt/Young) 4:13 [European release] A B-side at best.
    14. I Ain’t Wasting My Time (Rossi/Young) 3:35 [UK release] I'd have put this on the album instead of Saddling Up. Different, the album does lack something like this.

Great album, a solid 8/10, very little weakness.

melstapler and JulesRules like this.
  20. Almost Simon

All done. Agreed on similarities with Auberge, similar tempo/feel for sure.

JulesRules likes this.
  21. Almost Simon

What is up next then I wonder??

JulesRules likes this.
  22. JulesRules

2008: Pictures
    2008-2009: Pictures – 40 Years of Hits & Pictures Live at Montreux

[​IMG]

Pictures – 40 Years of Hits

1. Pictures Of Matchstick Men
    2. Ice In The Sun
    3. Down The Dustpipe
    4. In My Chair
    5. Paper Plane
    6. Mean Girl
    7. Caroline
    8. Break The Rules
    9. Down Down
    10. Roll Over Lay Down (live) [from “Status Quo Live!” EP]
    11. Rain
    12. Mystery Song
    13. Wild Side Of Life
    14. Rockin' All Over The World
    15. Again And Again
    16. Whatever You Want
    17. Living On An Island
    18. What You're Proposing
    19. Lies
    20. Don't Drive My Car

1. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like
    2. Rock 'N' Roll
    3. Dear John
    4. Ol' Rag Blues
    5. A Mess Of The Blues
    6. Marguerita Time
    7. The Wanderer
    8. Rollin' Home
    9. Red Sky
    10. In The Army Now
    11. Ain't Complaining
    12. Burning Bridges
    13. The Anniversary Waltz (Part 1)
    14. I Didn't Mean It
    15. Fun Fun Fun (feat. The Beach Boys)
    16. Jam Side Down
    17. You'll Come Round
    18. The Party Ain't Over Yet
    19. Beginning Of the End
    20. It's Christmas Time [new track]

[​IMG]

Deluxe Edition bonus DVD:

1 Interview With Francis Rossi 28:04
    2 Interview With Rick Parfitt 24:10
    3 Running All Over The World 3:35
    4 Can't Give You More 3:43
    5 Sherri Don't Fail Me Now 2:50
    6 Restless 4:10
    7 I Didn't Mean It 3:24
    8 The Way It Goes 3:18
    9 Jam Side Down 3:31
    10 You'll Come 'Round 3:22
    11 Thinking Of You 3:37
    12 The Party Ain't Over Yet 4:21
    13 Beginning Of The End 3:19
    14 Jump That Rock (Whatever You Want) Featuring Scooter 3:25

Another Quo compilation, this time for the 40th anniversary. At least it contained the then-new “It’s Christmas Time” (which we already covered in this thread at the appropriate season), otherwise there isn’t much new to see here. It’s worth noting though that unlike previous compilations, this includes the 1975 live version of “Roll Over Lay Down”.

The EarBook version is more interesting:

[​IMG]
    Pictures – 40 Years of Hits (4 CD EarBook)

1. Pictures Of Matchstick Men
    2. Black Veils of Melancholy
    3. Ice In The Sun
    4. Make Me Stay a Little Bit Longer
    5. Are You Growing Tired of My Love
    6. The Price of Love
    7. Down The Dustpipe
    8. In My Chair
    9. Tune to the Music
    10. Paper Plane
    11. Mean Girl
    12. Gerdundula
    13. Caroline
    14. Break The Rules
    15. Down Down
    16. Roll Over Lay Down (live) [from “Status Quo Live!” EP]
    17. Rain
    18. Mystery Song
    19. Wild Side Of Life

1. Rockin' All Over The World
    2. Again And Again
    3. Accident Prone
    4. Whatever You Want
    5. Living On An Island
    6. What You're Proposing
    7. Lies
    8. Don't Drive My Car
    9. Something 'Bout You Baby I Like
    10. Rock 'N' Roll
    11. Dear John
    12. She Don't Fool Me
    13. Caroline (Live at the N.E.C.)
    14. Ol' Rag Blues
    15. A Mess Of The Blues
    16. Marguerita Time
    17. Going Down Town Tonight (single re-recording)
    18. The Wanderer
    19. Rollin' Home

1. Red Sky
    2. In The Army Now
    3. Dreamin’
    4. Ain't Complaining
    5. Who Gets the Love
    6. Running All Over the World
    7. Burning Bridges
    8. Not at All
    9. Little Dreamer
    10. The Anniversary Waltz (Part 1)
    11. The Anniversary Waltz (Part 2)
    12. Can’t Give You More
    13. Rock ‘Til You Drop
    14. Roadhouse Medley (Anniversary Waltz Part 25) [single edit]
    15. Fakin’ the Blues
    16. I Didn't Mean It
    17. Sherri Don't Fail Me Now
    18. Restless

1. When You Walk in the Room
    2. Fun Fun Fun (feat. The Beach Boys)
    3. Don't Stop
    4. All Around My Hat
    5. The Way It Goes
    6. Little White Lies
    7. Twenty Wild Horses
    8. Mony Mony
    9. Old Time Rock and Roll
    10. Jam Side Down
    11. All Stand Up (Never Say Never)
    12. You'll Come Round
    13. Thinking of You
    14. The Party Ain't Over Yet
    15. All That Counts is Love
    16. Beginning Of the End
    17. It's Christmas Time [new track]
    18. Come On You Reds [featuring Manchester United Football Squad] (Rossi/Bown)
    19. We’re Gonna Do It Again [featuring Manchester United Football Squad] (Parfitt/Bown/Lynton)
    20. Jump That Rock (Whatever You Want) [featuring Scooter] (Parfitt/Bown/Baxxter/Thele/Simon/Jordan)

At least this includes pretty much all UK singles and some rarer tracks, though how interesting that is, is up for question. There was a charity connected to this under the "Pictures" banner where people made pictures related to Quo, which then went on auction in order to raise money for various charitable causes.

Pictures – Live at Montreux [CD; * only DVD/BD] (2009)

[​IMG]

1. Opening
    2. Caroline 6:20
    3. The Wanderer 2:42
    4. Rain 4:49
    5. Don’t Drive My Car 3:57
    6. Medley:
    1. Mean Girl 1:56
    2. Softer Ride 3:52​
    7. Beginning of the End 4:17
    8. Is There a Better Way 3:41
    9. Proposin' Medley [*]:
    1. What You're Proposing
    2. Down The Dustpipe
    3. Little Lady
    4. Red Sky
    5. Dear John
    6. Big Fat Mama​
    10. Medley:
    1. Pictures of Matchstick Men 2:28
    2. Ice in the Sun 2:06​
    11. The Oriental 5:01
    12. Creepin’ Up On You 4:49
    13. In My Chair [*]
    14. Living On an Island 2:46 ~
    15. In The Army Now [*] ~
    16. Drum Solo: The Killer [*](Letley)
    17. Roll Over Lay Down 5:55
    18. Down Down 5:55
    19. Whatever You Want 5:03
    20. Rockin’ All Over the World 4:35
    21. Junior's Wailing [*]
    22. Medley [*]:
    1. Rock'n'Roll Music
    2. Bye Bye Johnny
    DVD/Blu-Ray Bonus Features (not on CD/1DVD digipack edition)
    Quo In Montreux
    Rossi Cam:
    Down Down
    Roll Over Lay Down
    Parfitt Cam:
    Whatever You Want
    Rain

Disc 2: Pictures: The Story Of 40 Years Of Hits
    1. Introducing Legends
    2. Coming Together
    3. A New Beginning
    4. That's The Single
    5. Stories From The Road
    6. Rockin' All Over The World
    7. Disharmony
    8. Back In The Ranks
    9. New Sound
    10. The Pub Tour
    11. The Party Ain't Over Yet
    12. Pictures Of Now
    13. Bonus Feature: Pictures Auction

Quo went on another tour to celebrate this release, and the setlist was completely revamped (for the last time!). The concert at the Montreux Jazz Festival was recorded and released in various formats. Many Quo fans are of the opinion that while the band performed well, the atmosphere was mediocre at best – understandable, since Quo weren’t playing to a crowd that was exclusively there for Quo. What makes this such a worthwhile release for me is the video and audio quality – even on the DVD you can see how well this was recorded, and the CD version has a really great mix with well-defined bass (one of the few releases where you can actually hear and feel Rhino’s playing), aggressive guitars and fair dynamics (at least compared to many other releases from this century!).

Rick sings “Is There a Better Way” (introduced with Francis talking about certain substances that made them play faster). Francis’ voice sounds deep and mean in “Mean Girl” – I prefer that to the vocal in the original version! “Big Fat Mama” is the full version (except the intro of course). Bundling up “Pictures of Matchstick Men” and “Ice in the Sun” was a stroke of genius. After the first crazy bit in "The Oriental", Rhino sneaks in some bass chords played against the beat... not bad! Also, what is going on during the track? Francis sings “off the stage!” twice! The video is edited in a way that you can’t see the reason, but somebody must have invaded the stage…

melstapler likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Happens at 3:38.

Seen the show a few times on Sky Arts channel and the lack of audience enthusiasm does mean the show seems a bit flat.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Pictures is one of the best Quo compilations, but I foud the Montreux DVD lacked atmosphere, but that could be the venue as other concert recordings I've seen from there seem to suffer in the same way. Are the Swiss generally so reserved?

JulesRules likes this.
  25. JulesRules

Francis Rossi: One Step at a Time (2010)

[​IMG]

1. Sleeping on the Job (Rossi/Young) 3:23
    2. Tallulah’s Waiting (Rossi/Young) 3:41
    3. Crazy for You (Rossi/Young) 3:41
    4. One Step at a Time (Rossi/Guy Johnson) 3:50
    5. Here I Go (Rossi/Johnson) 3:09
    6. Faded Memory (Rossi/Young) 2:59
    7. Strike Like Lightning (Rossi/Young) 3:13
    8. Rolling Down the Road (Francis Rossi/Nicholas Rossi) 3:12
    9. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 4:04
    10. If You Believe (Rossi/Young) 3:47

Bonus 7” Single:

11. I Can See Clearly Now (Johnny Nash)
    12. Francis Rossi Interview

Francis Rossi – Vocals, Guitar
    Bob Young – Harmonica
    Kevin McAlea – Piano, Harpsichord
    Andy Bown – Piano
    Guy Johnson – Piano, Backing Vocals
    John “Rhino” Edwards – Bass
    Nicholas Rossi – Bass
    Leon Cave – Drums
    Amy Smith – Backing Vocals

Finally, over ten years after his first attempt, Francis recorded another solo album. He stated that most of the songs were written for Quo but ended up outside the Quo mould – but with Bob co-writing most of the songs and both Rhino and Andy collaborating, you could be forgiven for asking “what is the difference?” – well, apart from the obvious (and logical) lack of Rick. And of course, the drummer is now a member of Status Quo…

Francis Rossi: Live at St. Luke’s London (2011)

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1. Caroline (Shuffle Version)
    2. Claudie
    3. All We Really Wanna Do
    4. You’ll Come Round
    5. Crazy For You
    6. Strike Like Lightning
    7. Tallulah’s Waiting
    8. Tongue Tied
    9. Blessed are the Meek
    10. My Little Heartbreaker
    11. Electric Arena
    12. One Step at a Time
    13. Marguerita Time
    14. Rolling Down the Road
    15. Diggin’ Burt Bacharach
    16. Sleeping on the Job
    17. Twenty Wild Horses
    18. Can’t Give You More
    19. Don’t Waste My Time (not on Blu-Ray?)
    Bonus Features (not on DVD?)
    20. Behind the Scenes
    21. My Faded Memory (Video)

Francis Rossi – Vocals & Guitar
    Freddie Edwards & Nicholas Rossi – Guitars & Backing Vocals
    Paul Hirsch – Keyboards, Guitar, Harmonica & Backing Vocals
    Gary Twigg – Bass
    Leon Cave – Drums
    Amber Zakatek, Amy Smith & Emily Barton – Backing Vocals

Francis obviously thought highly of his solo project, but the general public didn't seem to care so much. I guess it’s an old problem – like when Roger Waters left Pink Floyd but couldn’t manage to build up a really high profile until it became clear that Pink Floyd had played their last tour. In other words: Many people probably thought, “Why should I go see one member of Status Quo when I can see the whole band year in, year out?”. The album (and the single) wasn’t as successful as expected and the tour was cancelled halfway through. But at least one of the gigs was recorded and it shows so many ways Quo could change their live act; freed from the confines of having to play all the greatest hits, Francis not only does many tracks from OSAAT but also delves deeply into Quo’s back catalogue and plays songs the band hadn’t played for years (“Claudie”, “Marguerita Time”, “Twenty Wild Horses”) or never at all (“All We Really Wanna Do”, “You’ll Come Round”, “Tongue Tied”, “Blessed Are the Meek”, “My Little Heartbreaker”, “Electric Arena”, “Diggin’ Burt Bacharach”, “Can’t Give You More”).

Maybe. Let's not forget this is nominally a Jazz festival :)

melstapler likes this.