Status Quo album-by-album thread (50 Years of Quo)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JulesRules, Jul 25, 2017.

1. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug Thread Starter

It'll definitely be better than LNOTE! But we're jumping ahead. Maybe this should be discussed on a separate thread? (Or maybe I should just get through this thing quicker :p )

2. JulesRules

2013: Bula Quo! Live World Tour 2013/2014
    [​IMG]

2013: 3) Bula Quo! Live World Tour

CD 1:

1. Opening/Caroline
    2. Paper Plane
    3. Hold You Back
    4. Rain
    5. Looking Out for Caroline
    6. GoGoGo
    7. Rock’n’Roll & You
    8. Beginning of the End
    9. Proposin’ Medley:
    1. What You're Proposing
    2. Down The Dustpipe
    3. Wild Side of Life
    4. Railroad
    5. Again and Again
    6. Big Fat Mama​
    10. The Oriental
    11. Creepin’ Up on You

CD 2:

1. In the Army Now
    2. The Caveman (Drum Solo) (Leon Cave)/Roll Over Lay Down
    3. Down Down
    4. Whatever You Want
    5. Rockin’ All Over the World
    6. Junior’s Wailing
    7. Rock and Roll Music/Bye Bye Johnny

· Francis Rossi – Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar
    · Rick Parfitt – Lead Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
    · Andy Bown – Keyboards, Guitars, Harmonica, Backing Vocals
    · John ‘Rhino’ Edwards – Bass, Backing Vocals
    · Leon Cave – Drums, Percussion & Backing Vocals

Recorded live in Hamburg, Germany, 2013

This doesn’t seem to be an official album, but since it’s in my collection (and I saw the tour), I’m throwing this into the mix. As Matt had left the band after the recording of the album (but shortly returned for a few more live dates), this was the debut of Leon Cave, who’d already played on Francis’ solo album. It was also the debut of two songs from Bula Quo – which weren’t badly received, but had to go nonetheless, never to be seen again, as always! Though it has to be said that the songs didn't work that well live: “Looking Out for Caroline” suffers from badly sung harmony vocals, and while “GoGoGo” has a wonderful intro (transitioning between the two songs!) and Francis does a great job with the guitar solo, his delivery of the verses really leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder how Rick as the writer felt about that? Also, the driving synth isn’t high enough in the mix (!)…

The only other novelty on this tour was the intro tape containing the “Bula Bula Quo” chants and drums aside from the usual sound effects.

Other than that, a typical (non-FF) Quo gig. Rick’s voice sounded far better than it did with the FF, which pleasantly surprised me. Leon Cave plays OK, but I remember when I first saw him behind the drum kit I had the distinct feeling of “HE DOESN’T FIT IN” – he just seemed like a different type of musician, and he was also somewhat struggling with the tempo on songs like “Down Down”.

The CD has some sloppy cuts, but as it’s really an “official bootleg” type, I can somewhat forgive that. Although it’s weird as hell when you want to make a playlist and “Rain” starts in the middle of the first verse… and slapping the drum solo and ROLD together as one track also doesn’t seem like the best of ideas.

3. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

My little review of Bula Quo -

One thing I hated at the time was the venomous reaction of some people to the title track. I think as soon as some people heard the "bula bula quo, a bula bula quo" intro they just decided to hate it and basically the album as a whole didn't get a fare shake.

CD 1: The new studio album

1. Looking Out For Caroline (Rossi/Young) 4:00 I really like this one. I think it has a nice little groove to it and is a pretty decent start to the album
    2. GoGoGo (Parfitt/Morris) 4:16 L Fantastic. One of the best things Quo have ever done. Even the Rockin All Over the World outro doesn't detract from how good this is and when Parfitt put his mind to it he could still come up with a great song
    3. Run and Hide (The Gun Song) (Edwards/Stuart St Paul) 4:12 Firstly I do like Rhino's vocals on the songs he has sung and this is no different
    4. Running Inside My Head (Letley) 3:42 Well if you're going to leave the band leave them with a great little tune. Love this one.
    5. Mystery Island (Parfitt/Morris) 4:22 Awful. This is so bad it makes you wonder how they came up with GoGoGo
    6. All That Money (Parfitt/Morris) 3:13 This sounds like a bit of an 80's left over, but on listening again it's actually ok
    7. Never Leave a Friend Behind (Bown/St Paul) 2:51 Like this one too. Very good indeed
    8. Fiji Time (Edwards) 3:15 Here is a turn up, Quo go ska and for me this is 2nd only to GoGoGo on the album. If they had been brave and released this as a summer single I think Radio 2 would have been all over it.
    9. Bula Bula Quo (Kua Ni Lega) (Rossi/Young) 3:50 When I first heard this I did think WTF!! but over time it has grown on me. Not so horrendous but maybe not the wisest choice of lead off single.

Over all I think it's a good 7 out of 10 (or is that 9) album. Plenty of good songs but ignored possibly because of the hardcore (or knobheads as I call them) backlash over the title track.

4. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Bula Quo The Movie - I went to the cinema in Camberley to see this and there were at least 20 of us in there which is more people than I've seen in some big blockbuster showings I've been to.

You kind of have to take it with a pinch of salt. I think the director Stuart St Paul contributed to the hint of cheesiness in it as the fight scenes in general were fairly poorly done in that it was obvious no-one was getting hit. The topic of the film was actually quite dark and if the director and backers had have been braver they could have had a really good thriller on their hands with a bit of light heartedness thrown in. But instead they went for the Quo cheeky chappy approach.
    Both Francis and Rick aren't actors but both showed some decent ability but surely both were pissed off with the naffness of some of the script. Also the rest of the band could have been better used.

I've always thought if the first part of the film was as good as the last 20 minutes then it could have done a lot better.

It was never going to change the world and it is far from being one of the worst films ever. 6 out of 10

Man at C&A and Almost Simon like this.
  5. JulesRules

@Johns44 Your feelings about the movie are similar to what I wrote upthread.

Any other commenters? :faint:

Almost Simon and Johns44 like this.
  6. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

Was hoping there would be a few more people commenting. Is it because the site is a US one and UK/European people aren't aware of it? Just a thought.

Almost Simon and JulesRules like this.
  7. JulesRules

Quite possible. I never made any comments about this thread on the Quo forums, simply because I didn't want the thread to go off the rails too much, but some more participants wouldn't be bad...

8. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The film is naff as can be, but I enjoyed it. I went to see it at the only showing in the area I live. There were only around 10 people there.

It's OK, a bit of light hearted fun, but I felt that it was exactly the wrong move for them after the Frantic Four reunion. It blew any credibility as a rock band they had regained almost instantly. Things were never the same after this. The fans knew the Frantic Four could still do it and deliver live, so they weren't accepting of the current line up. It became more obvious Rossi and Parfitt weren't agreeing about where Quo were going and then Rick's health declined. Then Aquostic...

9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm glad some of the nutters on that forum aren't here.

Johns44 and JulesRules like this.
  10. JulesRules

That was my thought process, yes. (Although there are two forums and one of them is actually pretty peaceful...)

Man at C&A likes this.
  11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

This forum has it's share too. Have a look at the Buffalo Springfield recent box set thread. There's a heated argument / debate over a couple of slight flaws in it that has gone on for about a week and is around 20 pages long! It's ridiculous.

JulesRules likes this.
  12. JulesRules

I guess I'd rather not. :yikes:

Man at C&A likes this.
  13. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Been a Quo fan since I got my first LP's for Xmas '85.( 12 Gold Bars I+II!) Saw this film advertised and didn't fancy it at all. Looked like the sort of thing Morecombe & Wise would have been in in the 70's. Not heard the soundtrack either. Maybe I'll take a look and see.

JulesRules likes this.
  14. JulesRules

Do check the soundtrack out - there are some good tracks on it.

KAJ1971 likes this.
  15. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Pretty sure Johns44 did me a USB with a copy of Bula Quo soundtrack but sadly i dont have it saved. I will (as per other albums i dont own,) give it a go on youtube and post my views. Aiming for tomorrow. What is up next out of interest?

JulesRules likes this.
  16. JulesRules

The Frantic Four's Final Fling, which I will post tomorrow (too late to do it now).

Almost Simon likes this.
  17. JulesRules

2014: The Frantic Four’s Final Fling
    [​IMG]

2014: 1) The Frantic Four’s Final Fling

Live at Dublin O2 Arena 12th April, 2014

1. Intro/Junior's Wailing
    2. Backwater ~
    3. Just Take Me
    4. Is There a Better Way
    5. In My Chair
    6. Blue Eyed Lady
    7. Little Lady ~
    8. Most of the Time
    9. Rain
    10. (April) Spring, Summer and Wednesdays
    11. Railroad
    12. Oh Baby
    13. Forty-Five Hundred Times ~
    14. Gotta Go Home
    15. Big Fat Mama
    16. Down Down
    17. Roadhouse Blues
    18. Caroline
    19. Bye Bye Johnny

Bonus Feature on DVD and Blu-Ray:

20. Documentary: The Final Fling?

Bonus CD from DVD and Blu-Ray release:

Hammersmith 31/3
    1. Intro/Junior's Wailing (White/Pugh) 4:38
    Hammersmith 29/3
    2. Backwater 4:26
    3. Just Take Me (Parfitt/Lancaster) 3:34
    4. Is There a Better Way (Lancaster/Rossi) 3:44
    [In My Chair/Blue-Eyed Lady]
    5. Little Lady (Parfitt) 3:12
    6. Most of the Time (Rossi/Young) 3:20
    Dublin 12/4
    7. Rain (Parfitt) 5:05
    Hammersmith 29/3
    8. (April) Spring, Summer and Wednesdays (Rossi/Young) 4:09
    9. Railroad (Rossi/Young) 5:44
    Hammersmith 28/3
    10. Oh Baby (Rossi/Parfitt) 4:09
    Hammersmith 29/3
    11. Forty-Five Hundred Times (Rossi/Parfitt) 6:22
    Hammersmith 31/3
    12. Gotta Go Home (Lancaster) 1:27
    [Big Fat Mama/Down Down]
    13. Roadhouse Blues (Doors) 6:56
    14. Caroline (Rossi/Young) 4:17
    [Bye Bye Johnny]

(All recording dates per fans’ analysis based on the CD recordings, no guarantees they’re all correct!)

· Francis Rossi – Lead Vocals, Lead Guitar
    · Rick Parfitt – Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Rhythm Guitar
    · Alan Lancaster – Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Bass Guitar
    · John Coghlan – Drums & Percussion

Bob Young – Harmonica on “Railroad” and “Roadhouse Blues”

So, while Francis’ comments about the first reunion tour may have not appealed to a lot of seasoned Quo fans, he did have a point: The band had been under-rehearsed. And being the perfectionist that he is, he gave the green light to another attempt, this time also including a few non-UK gigs. But he also made it clear that he did not want any further reunions, which probably ruined his relationship with Rick for good.

I can’t imagine that Rhino was too pleased about Rick calling the regular lineup “Quo lite” either, but the whole band history gets tangled and almost impenetrable at this point. Example: Francis quoted the old differences with Alan as a reason to not continue with the FF, yet they had even been working on new songs – which were commented by Rick (!) as “stuck in the past”! Then there’s the health issues; Alan himself said he wasn’t satisfied with his performance on the second tour (and a fellow fan told me that when he lost his plectrum during the Stuttgart gig, he was unable to pick it up and appeared to be not very well in general), but later it became clear that the tour had been also endangering Rick, who apparently fell back into his old habits of partying and drinking despite his alarming health history. So, the more benign fans actually interpreted the end of the FF as a means of protecting Rick from too much stress (also, since they didn’t have a keyboard player, Rick had to pour a lot more energy into the playing – which he actually enjoyed, but might not have been so healthy given his weak heart), but it’s not clear whether that’s really the case. If so, Rick certainly didn’t honor it.

Although there were repeated rumours that there might be another tour with Andy joining the FF (underlined by the nebulous hype sticker), this never materialized.

So what about this performance? The bad news first; the setlist had barely changed. This issue had been plaguing the Quo for years already, but given the once-in-a-lifetime occasion, it just makes me sad that they couldn’t revive a few more songs – and it makes me mad to know that they actually did think about playing songs such as “Don't Think It Matters” and “Slow Train”‼

At least they did swap out “Don’t Waste My Time” for “Caroline” and stopped the CQ-ism of castrating “Forty-Five Hundred Times”, instead allowing it to segue into “Gotta Go Home” (even if this eight minute version still isn’t anywhere near the amazing 15-20 minutes versions of the 70s and 80s).

The band certainly sounds better as a unity; John’s playing is far better than on the previous tour, and Francis sounds more like a proper guitarist although he doesn’t entirely stop the soulless noodling. But you do get the impression that he gives more than usual, clearly aware of the special occasion. On the other hand, Rick’s vocals are even worse than first time around – I don't really know why he sounded so bad on both tours when he sounded acceptable with the other band, maybe the intense playing caused him to be so tense that his vocal cords became constrained? No idea really. As mentioned above, Alan said he had been playing better on the first tour, but since the mixing on the 2013 CD is so ****ty I can’t comment on that (the 2014 CD still sounds muddy, but you can actually hear that there’s a bass player…). Speaking of Alan, he tried to initiate “The Jig” during “Roadhouse Blues” but Francis didn’t want to do it…

As for the release, it’s a bit puzzling. Unlike the 2013 CD/DVD or CD/BD combo, the bonus CD doesn’t feature the same gig as the video, instead being a “best-of” culled from various recordings of the tour. While I’m not averse to the idea, the execution is rather sloppy. The CD only runs for 61 minutes because five songs were cut entirely [marked in brackets above], and the fade-ins and fade-outs and omitted announcements really make it hard to ignore that you’re listening to a compilation. The DVD is similar quality-wise to the 2013 one – from a visual standpoint, “Pictures” from 2009 is completely in another galaxy.

All in all, this is a better celebration of the most legendary Status Quo incarnation than the 2013 release, though it’s far from flawless.

(…speaking of which, I don’t mean that Quo should be aiming for “flawless”. They weren’t flawless in the 70s either. But they had such energy, inspiration, drive to play, that it simply didn’t matter. Once you lose that frantic element, it becomes easier to pick a performance apart. The “other” Quo had developed into a well-oiled machine that replaced the youthful fire with professionalism, but somehow I feel the reunited FF lacked both aspects, although the “Final Fling” certainly shows that they could have improved even more by staying together.)

For quite a few fans “Status Quo” ended at this point. Not for us though, since this thread hasn’t quite reached its end just yet…

Also, 2014 marked the beginning of the deluxe editions series. Since we covered all the albums (reissued so far) in this thread already, it’s probably not that much of a talking point. But it’s interesting to note that when “Piledriver” was reissued in 2014, few people would have predicted that all the classic Vertigo albums (aside from the already announced “Live!” and “Rockin’ All Over the World”) would get their deluxe editions – it just seemed like a nice tribute to the FF…

Almost Simon likes this.
  18. Almost Simon

I don't own this one but a few questions....

Did Rick really say "Quo-lite?" I can't imagine he would do that. Did things really get that messy? Was Rick up for a permanent FF reuinion?

And never understood why they didnt call the tour FF and still get Andy in on keys. I don't think many would care, or maybe the fact of Andy coming in would suggest they'd start to play the post '77-84 material. And also the fact that would leave Rhino firmly on the side line. I guess things did get complicated.

I can only say I went to both tours, enjoyed both, perhaps the first one more but agreed they sounded better on the second tour. I have some MP3s of various shows but none that really bear much re-listening. I just feel you had to be at the shows to really get the atmosphere. The fans being so pumped up for the reunion. Listening as audio only is perhaps a bit of a disappointment.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Hope to get some advice so I do not have to go through every post here, all though the ones I have read so far are very cool...

Favorite album by them along with Quo and Hello is Ma Kelly's...have a few CD versions but need this on vinyl. Was looking at the 2015 Sanctuary (Optimal pressing) version of this. Is this a good choice or...thanks in advance.

20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

An old mid 70s Pye pressing would probably be better. They can easily be found cheap and use the same stampers as well as have exactly the same sleeves as the first pressings. They sound superb. I can't imagine a new pressing bettering them. Of course these are all analogue too if you are interested in that kind of thing.

This is one example of the label design though there are a couple of others:

Status Quo - Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon

scotti likes this.
  21. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, will seek out an original. I love vinyl and will take AAA all day long...had the original of this on vinyl when it was released.

Maybe over in England, originals are still cheap, but where I live, getting a copy in the shape I would want it in will cost me between $40 - $60...what a great album though!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Man at C&A likes this.
  22. JulesRules

He did. They did. He was. :)

The comments in the Piledriver deluxe are from right around that time. Rick said (quoting from memory) "I was surprised by how heavy this line-up is. The other band is great, it rocks, but it isn't heavy. It's Quo Lite." (Not quoted 100% correctly, but more or less to that effect.)

And I'm sure this was the biggest problem that led to the steadily growing gulf between Rick and Francis. And lots of fans haven't forgiven Francis, because they say "If 3 out of 4 members want to continue, why can 1 block it?" Well, why Francis didn't want to continue, or make a new album with the FF lineup... is a tough question. Francis said the old arguments between him and Alan were resurfacing. Some fans say this is just a weak argument covering for the fact that Francis always wants to have it his way.

I can understand not getting Andy in. After all people have complained about his keys "ruining" many songs on stage for years. But you could argue that he could have done it like on the '76 live album: Play only on the songs that require keys.

Then again, I'm sort of glad they didn't use keys so there wasn't any temptation to do RAOTW ;)

Almost Simon likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

To be fair here, there is a lot of negativity around Rossi, i wont add to it but the later version (I wont say Lite,) he is clearly the boss of and has been for a long time. FF would be much more of a challenge to that leadership so if I were him I wouldve probably stuck with the later version. A lot less pain for him. An easier life.

JulesRules likes this.
  24. Johns44

Johns44 Forum Resident

I like the DVD but it's not greatly different from the previous reunion one.

To be honest the sound of the band in terms of heaviness is no different to the non-ff line up. The sound was just as clean and clear as it is for the non-ff line up. Rick's Quo-lite comment I think comes from something Alan said years ago. For me the thing that makes the performance special-ish is Rossi. The guy is just a great front man.

25. Almost Simon

Status Quo / Ain’t Complaining 3CD set | superdeluxeedition

Next month, Universal Music will issue a three-CD deluxe edition of Status Quo‘s 1988 album Ain’t Complaining.

The band’s 18th studio album delivered two UK top 40 hits – the title track and Who Gets The Love – and non-album charity single Running All Over The World reached number 17 shortly after.

This new triple-CD deluxe delivers a bonus disc of B-sides and extended versions (including the single and 12-inch version of Running All Over The World) and a CD of tracks performed Live at Wembley in July ’88.

All the discs have been remastered by Andy Pearce (“from original tapes where available”) and Dave Ling contributes sleeve notes (with band interviews).

Ain’t Complaining will be released on 28 September 2018.

[​IMG]

CD 1
    1 Ain’t Complaining
    2 Every time I Think of You
    3 One for The Money
    4 Another Shipwreck
    5 Don’t Mind If I Do
    6 I Know You’re Leaving
    7 Cross That Bridge
    8 Cream of The Crop
    9 The Loving Game
    10 Who Gets the Love?
    11 Burning Bridges
    12 Magic

CD 2
    1 That’s Alright – B-Side – 12″ version of Ain’t Complaining
    2 Lean Machine – B-Side – 12″ version of Ain’t Complaining
    3 Halloween – B-Side – 12″ version of Who Gets the Love?
    4 The Reason for Goodbye – B-Side – 12″ version of Who Gets the Love?
    5 The Greatest Fighter – Outtake
    6 Running All Over the World – Single
    7 Ain’t Complaining – Extended
    8 Who Gets the Love – Extended
    9 Rockin All Over the World – 1988 Re- Recording
    10 Burning Bridges – Extended
    11 Running All Over the World – Extended
    12 The Fighter – Stand Up and Fight remix
    13 The Fighter – Army Remix

CD 3 – WEMBLEY – 07/07/1988
    1 Whatever You Want
    2 Little Lady