Stealers Wheel audiophile LPs coming out!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bhazen, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

$34.95 at Elusive Disc. It seems quite right for that price considering the care that has gone into it - all analog, superb tape, top remastering , quiet pressings, and laminated jackets.

IR Shane and Tom Campbell like this.
  2. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thanks for that, yes, Elusive, Acoustic Sounds and Music Direct all have these records at the correct retail price. The inflated prices at Amazon are due to the fact that unbeknownst to me two distributors bought these records at retail, and marked them up and put them on Amazon. Because they created the listings they kind of "own" them on Amazon. I have a work around, but it's taking a longer time than I"d hoped. While I am hopeful they will post to Amazon at the correct prices, I encourage any and all of you to shop with my preferred vendors listed above. They provide better service and knowledge than Amazon, they're simply great people to work with!

vonwegen and Simon A like this.
  3. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

vonwegen, FashionBoy and Simon A like this.
  4. Dok

Dok Senior Member

"If Intervention Records can maintain this standard (and the test pressings I’ve heard of those upcoming releases definitely suggest they can), then their records will quickly become automatic purchases for those in the audiophile community who care for and about real music. I can see an album’s presence on this label becoming a recommendation in itself, whether you’ve heard of the band or not, and that’s a pretty good place for a reissue label to be."

Great review! So, when do we get the SACD? ;)

IR Shane likes this.
  5. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thanks! Hybrid CD/SACDs are in the works. I am confident it will happen, but there is no timetable yet.

vonwegen, varitone, Tullman and 6 others like this.
  6. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Would live to find a copy of that album. I love it.

7. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

Oooh, that sounds good. I've got nothing against vinyl, but I will take a well done SACD any day!

art likes this.
  8. Alexandre

Alexandre Senior Member

Me too!

9. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I appreciate that, just be aware that I don't know exactly when that day will come ... where the vinyl can be ordered today.

Simon A likes this.
  10. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Shane have you a UK distributor for these albums? Postage from any of the US audiophile vendors is prohibitive.

Looks like Diverse Vinyl are getting stock in at £36 retail.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  11. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

I have US rights only.

12. arob71

arob71 Capitol JAX

vonwegen and IR Shane like this.
  13. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

14. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Hi, FWIW, a carton of LPs arrived at Amazon Monday and is being "processed." Hopefully all will go well and they will be up for sale on Amazon soon. I'll keep you posted here. I still recommend Elusive Disc or Acoustic Sounds as I'm more confident in their service and shipping, but if Amazon is what ya gotta do hopefully we're close.

vonwegen likes this.
  15. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Shane, one thing we have learned over time with releases such as yours is we have to accept that these things take time but they are always worth waiting for. Kudos for the hard work on this labour of love and congrats on your great reviews! I wish Intervention Records all the best!

I'll be ordering the SACDs once they're announced.

I cannot wait to hear the Kevin Gray mastered Late Again. My favourite song of theirs!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
    art, Joti Cover and IR Shane like this.
  16. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Late Again

Simon, I've always loved Late Again, but aside from the content itself that song will always have a special place in my heart related to this entire business. This is indeed a labour of love, and it was almost two full years from contacting the record companies to getting tapes to the mastering suite. After chasing this dream for that long, finally there was a box of tapes at Kevin Gray's but we had no idea of their quality, or whether they'd even be usable. The first thing we spun up and played was indeed Late Again, and it just melted me hearing Gerry's voice and then Egan chiming in. I knew at that moment I had at least one record for which I could produce the definitive vinyl version I was hoping for!

I love your enthusiasm, I guess I just wish you guys liked vinyl more! Nevertheless, I know I'll deliver you some great sounding SACDs with beautiful artwork.

art, Dok, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  17. I didn't know that they ever did another record than the 45 "Stuck In The Middle". My stereo/mono promo copy is the only Stealers Wheel that I've ever seen. At least nothing else was ever sent to me when I was a radio station music director back then.

Joti Cover and IR Shane like this.
  18. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

This entire record is tremendous, as is its follow-up Ferguslie Park, which I'll have released right around the first of the year. These two records are forgotten gems, and it's my fondest hope to reintroduce these entire records to fans who know Gerry Rafferty's solo work and Stealers' hit tunes but don't know there were three terrific records from these guys!

Michael Fremer reviewed a Test Pressing of Ferguslie too:

http://www.analogplanet.com/content...abel-intervention-records#A7T6e5wDd7g4E4Ek.97

Simon A and Joti Cover like this.
  19. Joti Cover

Joti Cover Forum Resident

Hello Shane,
    Congratulations for all the due praise! I don't have a turntable and am currently listening my lps at a friend's joint on the weekends (but that will change).
    I ordered both lps and got the self titled one the other day from Acoustic Sounds (this company and Soundstage Direct package it all so well).
    Well, it's stunning (right par with the my copy of Quality Pressing's Surfer Girl which is the highest standard I know). The cover art (!) is a knockout - printing and colors are vivid + rich, package very durable and the disc flat, perfect without blemish. Elegant.
    I also love the hype sticker with all the details - great you added that. Cannot wait to give it a spin...and will report back in after listening (although w Kevin Gray at the control and all I have read I'm very confident this will go well!) Thank you for such a fine product! Will be certinaly looking avidly for more of your work next year.

IR Shane and Simon A like this.
  20. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Super cool! You'll love it! And seriously, thank YOU!

Joti Cover likes this.
  21. pigman

pigman Forum Resident

All of Independents releases are still $70+ on amazon.ca,whoever is distributing these should get cut out of your supply chain.That might give Canadians a chance at being able to purchase these titles for a reasonable price.
    Aaron

BlueJay likes this.
  22. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Thanks, I'm encouraged by this. Hopefully the Amazon.ca price will drop before the release date (coincidentally the Amazon.ca price for the new Bob Dylan Cutting Edge 6 cd set just dropped from a ridiculous $256 to a more reasonable $161, so there's hope). Buying from US retailers for shipment to Canada can be problematic. There can be hefty shipping/handling charges, unpredictable customs charges, and long delays. It's nearly always better to buy domestically if possible.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I played "Stealers Wheel" last night. The vinyl was dead quiet and the sound/mastering is great. Glorious analog!

24. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Aaron, I can't provide more detail in public but I have taken steps and I hope this is not something that happens again. Also, I hope that Amazon will soon have Stealers 1 up at the correct retail. And my hope for the future releases is that on street date or very close to it they will be on Amazon at the real retail price.

pigman and Simon A like this.
  25. IR Shane

IR Shane Forum Resident

Thanks! If you check the review thread at Analog Planet, I replied to a comment with more information on the mastering and choices we made. You might find it interesting!

Simon A likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.