Steelbooks ?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, but if you take it off, you've destroyed part of the packaging. Ugh.

alexpop likes this.
  2. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

Not in the cases of Steelbooks I have, Like E.T., Battleship or Star Trek 2009, this rear covers are pieces of papers with the specs and some synopsis, and are intended to be removed or peeled off, as you prefer, out of the Steelbook.

3. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Yeah, I guess I could always just stick them into the case itself.

4. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Thanks Eddie for the power positive post!

5. alexpop

Yeah.. But like obi's, i keep them.

6. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

You're welcome. For me, the combination of a Steelbook, with a good design (most of them look better than their blue BD cases counterparts) and of course, of a good movie or at least an entertaining one, is something I really appreciate and make me spend my money without hesitation. And beware, I bought my Star Trek 2009 Steelbook three weeks ago, and I'm unemployed (though I get unemployment subside, but not much money), but is somethink I really like and I know I'll collect and keep with me forever, just as some CDs and vinyl.
    I only own three Steelbooks, Star Trek 2009 that as I told before it was first sold in the UK when it was first released and they run out of stock very fast, it was re-released by Paramount Spain a month or so ago and it's exactly the same Steelbook and disc (European release), this one looks very minimalist and classy, the E.T. Steelbook, which I think the same, very stylish with the blue Moon, Elliott and E.T. on the byke and the two hands like in the original poster with the E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Logos in blue, the foreground is aluminium.
    The Battleship Steelbook from the UK looks very very cool, it's hard, blue mate painting (not easy to scratch) with the Battleship logo embossed and one of the alien ships with the US vessel (don't remember the name of the ship) on the front.
    None of the designs I've seen for Steelbooks for Star Trek Into The Darkness are my cup of tea, they need to get a better design.

alexpop likes this.
  7. Claude

Claude Senior Member

Looks like a sure way to become rich, as now almost every top movie is being released as a "limited edition" steelbook in addition to the plastic case version. ;)

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Year yer right...some of the Designs suck. Sometimes to Minimalist.

9. alexpop

Weekend bump! Keep it Real -Keep it Steel !!!

10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I know - I hate to throw it away because it lots of info on it, so I trim it down with scissors and fold it in half and put it inside the steelbook. Those digi-books are the same way. Normally I'd just toss them but all that info is nowhere else in the <skimpy> packaging. :realmad:

I've got a few steelbooks that were cheap when they came out, but I don't collect them and like others stated, prefer either the normal br packaging or digi-books :

Matrix
    Django <Target exclusive>

11. alexpop

2 recent titles Predators and AvP 2.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  12. alexpop

Steelbooks got your attention recently ?

13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I have about 41 of the old DVD steelbooks... there are actually still a few more I wouldn't mind picking up if I could ever find them.

14. alexpop

Blu- Rays steelbooks are popular in Europe, not sure about the USA. When they have great cover art.. It's hard not to resist.

15. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

When Jaws came out on Blu-ray I got the Best Buy digibook and was quite impressed. For some reason when E.T. came out I chose the Target steelbook. Ended up wishing I'd gotten the digibook. Aside from looking cool, it's just a thin metal case. I would have enjoyed photos and essays much more. I won't be buying any more of those.

16. alexpop

Thats a pity, i hate digibooks / digi CDs as well. With steelbooks my criteria is good artwork, would be neat if they also inclosed a booklet, but I'm not really bothered to be honest. Are Steelbooks popular in the USA ?

17. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

From what I've seen, they are popular only as a way for a certain store to advertise an 'exclusive' version of a title. I haven't seen a lot of them. But I don't buy movies very much anymore :)

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

19. alexpop

20. alexpop

21. alexpop

22. alexpop

Digibook. :) image.jpg

23. Jeffrey_T

Jeffrey_T Active Member

Here's my Jaws & E.T.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

alexpop likes this.
  24. alexpop

Kick Ass 2 steelbook embossed came today.

25. alexpop

Pants on fire...:) image.jpg

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.