Steely Dan "Aja" which CD versions are good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Feb 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I acquired a JVC Japan pressing of Steely Dan's "Aja" on US MCA. Is this mastered by SH? Which versions sound best? Mine sounds great! Enquiring minds wish to know! Thanks!

Kent Teffeteller, CPBE!

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Oh no! Not again!

Kent, please do a search. This has discussed seemingly hundreds of times.

4. Leppo

Leppo Forum Librarian

5. JJ3810

JJ3810 Senior Member

Don't search for this info unless you have LOTS of free time. I have no less than 9 of the original issues. As far as I can tell they all sound the same. Japanese, BMG, Columbia House, etc., doesn't matter, I can't hear any difference. I thought I could differentiate from the time signatures as some would start the song at 0:00 while the others start at 0:01 but they all sound the same. At least I can't hear any appreciable difference. Sound is great though so I really don't see why everyone's being so insanely crazy about solving this mystery.

6. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

Kent,

Save your energy. No one seems to know for sure.

Stay way from the remasters

Stick with the version you have or pick up the MFSL Gold. You can't go wrong either way.

7. kstuart

kstuart New Member

You want someone to read a 16 page thread ?

Wouldn't this be a good place for a "summary of what we know" ?

8. KeithH

Do you know how many times we have summarized what we know? If someone wants to summarize it here, more power to them. I don't want to go through it again. I've done it several times!

9. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

For the record:

Any original MCA pressing is fine, the Japanese is the best I have heard. I think personally the MFSL is overrated; you don't need it. The remasters are cut bleeding hot. I don't think they sound as bad as some people here, but if you don't have it, stick with what you have.

Evan

10. KeithH

The '91 and '99 remasters are way too bright and loud. The MFSL UDI is not nearly as bad, but it is still too bright. The original Japanese MCA pressing is great. My opinion, of course. :)

11. peter

peter Senior Member

And I completely agree, though I want to clarify that my JPN. Aja CD is a US release with just the disc pressed in JPN. Still, it is different to and better than my US 1985 MCA Aja CD, with a US made disc.

12. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Steve says MFSL Aja is fine to his ears. I think its good also.

13. KeithH

I think a lot of people here have found the same thing. I have a U.S. DADC pressing of Aja and have still not listened to it critically. I spent so much time listening to Japanese pressings awhile back, that I have sort of forgotten about Aja. I'll be in the mood to listen to it again one of these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.