Steely Dan CDs Different Masterings: Pretzel Logic

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mdekoning, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Doh, yes, I have it now. On mine, they seem to have filled the space with straight lines but it still goes pop:

pop.PNG

You know, I really used to enjoy listening to this record until you came along! Now, I'll just be listening for the clicks and pops every time! :D

2. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

So mastering 4 is indeed the desired mastering?

3. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Make sure your version has the Rikki glitch. Ideally, you'll have the Major Dude pop, but that's not essential. I love the pop, but I could live without it.

The Rikki glitch, though, you have to have.

Keep your eyes on the prize.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  4. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

I have a MCAD-31165 which matches Mastering 1:

Spine: MCAD-31165
    Booklet back cover; mainly pink with Compact Disc/Compact Price logo
    Back insert: Plaid
    CD: "Made in U.S.A. for MCA Records, Inc."
    Matrix: MCAD-31165-1 1C 23 MFD BY JVC [Note: the "23" is pressed, and the 3 is hard to make out]

This copy looks like a 1980s CD, so I do not understand why it's matching the 1999 mastering.

5. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

I was listening to this album last night and had a thought - it would be easy for those of us with software to repair Major Dude if only we had a pop-free patch. Is there anyone with a rare, pop-free version of Mastering 3 or 4 who could post the first second or two of the track in redbook CD resolution? That's all we need - literally, just a second or two.

It's no big deal but it would be such an easy fix it seems a shame not to try.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer Forum Resident

I apologize if this bump is inappropriate, but I too wonder whether there is a way to patch the right channel glitch in "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" and/or the glitch at the beginning of "Any Major Dude." I have the mastering with the "Rikki" glitch and it would be nice to fix it if possible.

7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

I bought the 1999 remaster and the Flapamba intro to Rikki is intact.

8. Bytor Snowdog

Bytor Snowdog Forum Resident

A sound question regarding Pretzel Logic. I have listened to a rip of the ABC and Jap vinyl as well as the mca CD, and the SACD, to my ears each and every sounds kinda dead and lifeless. Of these, the ABC seemed the best, the SACD the worst. Is it me, or is it the recording?

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for this, Paul!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.