Steely Dan compilations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AudioEnz, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

I think if you listen to Katy Lied in context with the other remasters, Katy lied seems kind of harsh. Of course Becker and Fagen were (are) perfectionists in the studio. They had some difficulty with recording tape and equipment. I read somewhere that Becker and Fagen can't listen to that album because it sounds so terrible to them. Personally I don't think it sounds terrible, just not as good as some of the others (Aja in particular).

2. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Oh, I think that Nightfly is fabulous, right on par with the rest of Steely Dan's albums (not a clunker in the entire catalog). According to the biography simply titled "Steely Dan" Stevie Wonder complained about the sound quality of The Nightfly on cd. Roger Nichols did some investigation and was quite upset when he found out the label was using 2nd and 3rd generation masters for the album.

Interesting story (if it's accurate) although I would think that an artist like Mr. Fagen would have more control over a situation like that.

3. Kym

Kym Former Resident

Can anyone confirm that the current Nightfly CD on shelves right now was "quietly remastered"?

4. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Sckott,

Thanks for the comments on the Reelin' in the Years compilation.

All,

I agree with the notion of getting any Steely Dan disc available. I don't have them all yet, but I'm working on it. I still need to get a copy of Nightfly.

As for Decade of Steely Dan, I have an old version (Columbia House version with a DIDY number and no barcode on back insert) and the standard remastered version. I have not compared them, but I should. (There are a lot of discs I need to compare!) Anyway, I am still curious to hear how the gold CD compares to the standard remaster. Is there a difference in sound or is the gold disc simply slick marketing? From what I have read here, there is a difference between the sound of the MCA gold version of Who's Next and that of the standard remaster.

5. KeithH

6. ybe

ybe The Lawnmower Man

7. peterC

peterC Aussie Addict

......and I agree with him. The LP sounded so good.

8. John

John Senior Member

Yeah, Ive noticed the sound from the Nightfly is decent digital sound. I think this was done on the 3M system, but I cant find my copy right now. Is this correct?

9. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Yes.

10. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

For that kinda money, I think that's crazy.

The Nightfly is an incredible album, but that Japan gold CD is probably just "gold plated", and probably not any different soundwise.

Anyone ever heard one?

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

this has most certainly beeen covered before, but, in a nutshell, could some tell me the difference between and MFSL UD1 and a UDII?

thanks ahead of time,

renny

12. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I think Mr. Hoffman hates it when I say this, but like Malc S, I really enjoy the gold disc of this album. As I stated on another thread, I prefer Steely Dan the oddball Top 40 band to the album artistes, and the juiced remastering on the gold disc (which I find brighter, but not "bright and irritating") pops out of the speakers like a good single should.

13. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Posted by Kym:
    I grabbed my copy two or three months ago for like $7 @Borders, and gives no indication of remastering. My DVD-A does though :).

14. Kym

Kym Former Resident

John, does it say "RE-1" in the inner circle of the CD? Thanks!

15. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Going slightly off-topic, if you have a DVD player, get the DTS CD of "Gaucho," which has an incredible 5.1 surround mix by Elliot Scheiner. Keep in mind that your DVD player has to have DTS capability, otherwise it's unplayable.

Scheiner also remixed Donald Fagen's "Nightfly" in 5.1 surround for DVD-A, which contains both Dolby Digital and DTS versions. There's not much difference between the two versions, so you luck out if your DVD player doesn't have DTS capability.

Finally, Scheiner also did the 5.1 surround mix for the concert DVD "Two Against Nature." The DTS track blows away the Dolby Digital version...easy!

:thumbsup:

16. KeithH

ACK! said:

Not true. CD players can pass the bitstream through the digital output to a 5.1 receiver or pre-pro with a DTS decoder.

17. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

I stand corrected! Gladly so!

:D

18. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

the newest single disc compilation called The Definitive Collection has songs from all 9 studio albums in chrono order, FM is the classic 4:50 original with guitar outro.

ACK! likes this.
  19. ACK!

ACK! Senior Member

Both versions are great, but I prefer the guitar outro.

20. I just listened to my MF half-speed master LP that I bought in the 1970's. I think it sounds really good.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

steely dan is very close, if not already there, to doors territory

22. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The classic first 7 albums are a must-have for anyone taking pop music seriously. As for a compilation, I'd go with the Greatest Hits remastered by Ludwig ( I think!). The sound is really good and the tracklist is cleverly done. Imo, of course

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.