Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic" LP - need pressing confirmation, and comments on sound!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by apesmu, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peter

peter Senior Member

Picked up one of these as well a week or so ago. Except after the A2 on sides 1 and 2, mine says 1A and 1B, respectively.

I A-B's to my JPN. VIM vinyl. Guess which won. US one and not by a little bit.

Can I spell Humble Pie?

Randy, you sure were right. I'm going to find that thread and post there too about this.

2. apesmu

apesmu Forum Resident Thread Starter

hi peter,

glad to hear you scored one! it does sounds fantastic.

wonder why my copy is missing the 1A and 1B after the Az on sides 1 and 2? :confused:

could it be an earlier / later pressing?

(i'll have to double check again to make sure the 1A and 1B isn't there, but i'm pretty sure it's not)

3. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

Peter, glad to have helped you out on this one after all the times you've pointed me toward better sounding pressings. :)

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I.I.N.M., pressings with "1A" and "1B" designations on the dead wax sound like they were pressed by Columbia's Santa Maria, CA plant. I think Terre Haute, IN pressings have "-1" or "-2" while Pitman, NJ, during this period, had an "X" written next to the etched matrix number information.

5. apesmu

hi W.B.,

thanx for the info.

so, i guess my copy of "Pretzel Logic" was pressed at a different plant than that of peter's (as per the posts above).

i don't believe that mine has an "X" etched anywhere in the deadwax, but i will check later.

if not, anyone here venture to guess what plant my copy may derive from?

thanx!

:righton:

6. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Well, I do know that in terms of stock copies, by the time of Pretzel Logic all ABC/Dunhill releases were being pressed by Columbia. I have to say, though, that some Pitman copies had an etched "X" while others didn't. It depends on what you get.

7. apesmu

hi W.B.,

thanx for the reply. i'll do a double check of the record when i get a chance and post back.

one thing's for sure, it does sound great.

:righton:

8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Inspired by this thread I pulled out my old ABC PL to compare to the JAP. VIM. My PL is not black label, but its got the Az in the dead wax. Its the multi-colored ABC label.

Before I start, I will say the my initial impressions of the PL VIM was that it sounded muted (closed down) on top compared to the others in the VIM series. I thought is was the worst of the lot and Katie Lied perhaps the best. Anyway after I compared these I preferred the VIM. Why? Well, for one there was less distortion in the upper mids and that's a big deal. It results in better imaging and less fatiguing sound. The ABC was perhaps better balanced with more open sound and was certainly louder. But when I cranked the title track and With a Gun, it was the VIM that held together better on my system.

The ABC is a fine sounding record and no doubt bests the MCA as I've heard some of the other MCA releases. But, I'll take the Japanese in this case.

9. Randy W

Randy W Original Member

OK, just to add another opinion - thought I'd sit down and listen to the few versions of Pretzel Logic on LP that I have on hand. I just gave them a listen on Side 2 (at 95 dB) and would rate them this way:

1. US Black label (same matrix as the black label mentioned): Side 1 - ABCD 808-A RE2 AZ (handwritten): you-are-there musicality and midrange, deep soundstage, great balance top to bottom, very involving (in a RL LZ II way), highs extended (could sound a bit too extended on a different system)
    2. US WLP ((same matrix as above): just a bit rolled off on top compared to black label (could be a good thing on another system)
    2. UK Probe (pink/tan label): Side 1 - SPBA 6282 A-1 (stamped), harmonically rich, rythmically driving, great imaging, musical and involving, but soundstage not as deep and it's just a bit ragged on top
    3. Japan VIM: Side 1 ABCD 808-A 12 (stamped), very detailed with best (tight and deep) bass, but midrange is less musical, and soundstage is flatter, highs a little confused, overall not as involving
    4. ABC Command Quadraphonic: Side 1 - CQD-40015-A 4 (handwritten), muddy bass, diffuse imaging, not good

Your results may vary..

10. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

My black label copy is similar to yours, but appears to be a recut -

side 1
    ABCD 808-A RE2-2 "Az"

side 2
    ABCD 808-B RE2-2 "Az"

I've no complaints with the sound, but would have liked to have picked it up for $1.99 like you did :D

11. apesmu

hi Randy W,

thanx very much for your input on those various versions!

seems like you really can't go wrong w/ either original pressings on ABC or WLP :righton:

12. apesmu

hi Ben Sinise,

glad to hear you scored a recut of the LP i have! (does it sound to you as the original US ABC pressing is listed in Randy W.'s post above?)

in i'm sure it's great, and i'm sure you didn't pay too much for it, either. :righton:

13. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

It sounds fine, although I'm surprised that it appears to be a from a different lacquer. It's the same black label & gatefold cover issue. Cost was $7.

14. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

great album!
    first press is black labels? and is the best sounding Pretzel out there?
    this: http://www.discogs.com/Steely-Dan-Pretzel-Logic/release/512366
    ???

by the way, NO Z on discogs, is a 2, is wrong?

Matrix / Runout (Center Label A): ABCD-808-A
    Matrix / Runout (Center Label B): ABCD-808-B
    Matrix / Runout (Runout A etching): ABCD 808-A RE2 A2
    Matrix / Runout (Runout B etching): ABCD 808-B RE2 A2

any way to identify this baby still sealed??? any only inditification in the back artwork or spine? or?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.