Steely Dan... What Do You Think???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I like Steely Dan but the only ones that pushed me to purchase were:

Can't Buy A Thrill
    Countdown To Ecstasy
    Pretzel Logic
    The Royal Scam

2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Almost too clever for their own good, but only almost!! Class music and wry lyrics make for a great combination. Some Dan or Fagen solo is never far from my ears.....

3. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Countdown is my fave album :righton:... followed by Katy

They started to lose me with Aja -- love the title track, but the rest of the album felt like it was too much of a push for commercial success, IMHO.

She loved the million dollar words I say
    She loved the candy and the flowers that I bought her
    She said she loved me and was on her way
    Singing voulez voulez voulez vous...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Bill Mac likes this.
  4. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

A Top 5 band for me: I only hold The Beatles in higher regard.

I discovered them Christmas 1973, when my girlfriend's brother bought her Countdown To Ecstasy, in the sure knowledge that she wouldn't like it, and so he could claim it back. What he wasn't counting on, was that I would. That album started a life long love, that has lasted as long as my 40 year marriage to the same girl. When my brother-in-law died unexpectedly at the age of 50, I read a eulogy, and I took that same album along, explaining about our shared love of music, and what a bond we'd had because of it. Whenever I play that album, or something by my brother-in-laws real love, Bob Dylan, I always imagine he's sitting there beside me. I obviously have the chair with the sweet spot.

Drotz1, pscreed, Mooserfan and 8 others like this.
  5. favorite songs..
    Any Major Dude Will Tell You
    Razor Boy
    Aja
    Gaucho

favourite albums
    Countdown To Ecstasy
    Pretzel Logic
    Katy Lied

tours
    1996 and 2000. Saw both.

favorite solo album from the guys
    The Nightfly
    11 Tracks Of Whack

drumzNspace and spindly like this.
  6. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

In the seventies, I don't appreciate them at all.
    Didn't like the vocals, songs didn't grab me.
    In the last few years I have become I huge fan.
    Aja, Royal Scam and Gaucho are my favorites.
    Love the Becker and Fagen solo stuff as well
    Circus Money is one of the best recorded CDs I have ever heard.
    Glen

Blue Note likes this.
  7. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I love the band but the cost for tickets on the last tour that came through was more than I could reason. For two, it was over $500 all in. I decided to stay home, just listen to five SD albums and pay much less for beers.

I think they are more of a studio band anyway.

8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Interesting- you'd think the push for "commercial success" started with their very first album...if "Dirty Work" and "Reelin' In The Years" ain't commercial, I don't know what is! After years of slogging it, busting their keisters trying to "make it" in the music business -and not just as songwriters or anonymous sidemen for the likes of Jay and the Americans- I think Becker and Fagen went for it from the get go as soon as they got their ABC contract and assembled the band. It was make or break time. After all, Countdown To Ecstacy -an album much loved by Danfans- was initially considered unsuccessful because it lacked a "Do It Again" or "Reelin' In The Years" kind of hit. Countdown To Ecstacy almost seems like the anti-Can't Buy A Thrill in retrospect.

Actually with Aja Becker and Fagen were a bit concerned that they might have gone a bit too far in pursuing a more esoteric sound- "Too ambitious for our own good" was how I believe Walter Becker put it (in the aforementioned Reelin' In The Years bio.) They had no idea the Aja album was going to be as huge a success as it was. Now, with Gaucho, there I think they were trying a little too hard to put a more 'commercial' slant on the Aja sound/style.

I think nowadays the problem with Aja is that people associate it too much with "Peg" and "Josie". "Peg", admittedly, is very overplayed. IMO, they're the 'worst' (for lack of a better term) songs on the album!

ODShowtime and Fender Relic like this.
  9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

Where Cousin Dupree is concerned, that's definitely a good thing that he doesn't understand! :)

10. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Not heard everything after their initial 1972-80 run, but I like Everything Must Go and I like The Nightfly.

They can't do much wrong in my book.

11. ohnothimagen

Where a lot of their songs are concerned, it's a good thing he doesn't understand. Like I've said before, it'll be interesting when he's a teenager and realizes that this music he loved as a kid was predominantly about sex and drugs and low friends in high places and whatnot...

(for that matter, it's a good thing my wife doesn't really realize what they're singing about most of the time, either!)

ailgin, Dave's SG2k and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  12. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I've always wanted to get into Steely Dan, where should I start. Do they have a good compilation or should I just start with their albums.

13. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

I play Katy Lied the most , in fact I was playing it before I saw the thread!

Joti Cover likes this.
  14. ohnothimagen

You might as well start with the albums or something like the Citizen Steely Dan box set. There's only one compilation out of their many compilations that encompasses their whole career (i.e. including songs from the two 2000's 'reunion' albums)

pudgym likes this.
  15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I would start with Can't Buy A Thrill and Pretzel Logic, but that's because they're my 2 faves. Hard for me to say which one is better but they're both stone cold brilliant.

Fender Relic and Joti Cover like this.
  16. G L Tirebiter

G L Tirebiter Forum Resident

I saw them in Pittsburgh, on what I think was their only tour, when they opened for the Beach Boys, back in '74, I guess it was. I was already a big fan at the time. It was a cool story to tell people about it, until the started touring again in the 90s.

'I was smoking with the boys upstairs, when I heard about the whole affair."

17. Veovis

Veovis Forum Resident

Love The Dan!

Love all albums up to and including Gaucho with possibly the exception of Pretzel Logic which has some weak moments imo. But on the other hand the title song and Any Major Dude are among my favorite Dan songs.

18. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

If you think Pretzel Logic has weak moments than I would love to see your record collection...perfect LP in my book!

Etherpitch65, Graham, Goggen and 4 others like this.
  19. Bullis

Bullis Forum Resident

Liked all their cd's up to gaucho. Great sounding group of high quality musicians.

20. ohnothimagen

Sorry, Bibijeebies, but Veovis and I are in exact agreement as far as Pretzel Logic goes. Personally I think it's their weakest album (including the two 'reunion' albums), other than "Pretzel Logic", "Rikki" and "Major Dude". I suppose "Night By Night" is alright as well, but I have no use for the rest. But what the hell...if our musical tastes were completely identical then this would be one boring music discussion forum, wouldn't it?

Veovis likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

in my top ten all-time.

Joti Cover and oldsurferdude like this.
  22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

Oddly, I'm thinking about "Showbiz Kids" right now.

Joti Cover likes this.
  23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Always not far from my car cd player

footprintsinthesand likes this.
  24. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Start at the very beginning.

It's a very good place to start.

Then, what riches you'll have in store.

Joti Cover likes this.
  25. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Pretzel Logic is the one I always come back to. It has everything -- dark, funny, pretty, ugly -- and some jazz references I didn't get for a long time. Like the way "Parker's Band" concludes with a lick straight out of Bird's "Bongo Beep"...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.