Steely Dan's Aja: which pressing?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Grant, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me! Thread Starter

OK, in the past, I have said that the most recent CD remaster of this title sounds exactly like the original LP. Some have said that I do not have an original pressing, or that the newest CD is too bright, and Steve's CD is the more accurate.

I finally found my ABC Records LP copy. Here are the numbers/letters in the dead wax:

AA AB (AB scratched out) 1006 (RE-3) -A

It was mastered by Bernie Grundman at A&M Mastering.

What do I have? The LP is clean and clear-sounding.

2. Grant

No takers, eh? Tom Port? Anyone?

3. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Sounds like the one I have, U.S. ABC. I'll check the details tonight. Mine sounds great. I find Bernie Grundmans LP masterings often have a trademark bit of a bite to the upper midrange which gives impression of openness, clarity. Others might prefer a warmer sound.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I own an ABC pressing that wasn't that hot, but this LP went through MANY laquers.

5. Grant

Re: Re: Steely Dan's Aja: which pressing?

That's what i'm trying to get at. The most recent Roger Nichols CD master sounds exactly like this pressing, but some of the guys here are saying no.

At first, when I got the CD, I thought it was too bright as well. But when I did a direct A/B comparison, they both matched in every way, in tonality! Even the frequency response matched. I was using a pretty smooth-sounding Shure cart.

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Try and find a first press ABC LP that was cut from the master tape. It's a lot smoother and doesn't have that Bernie trademark strident upper midrange.

7. Grant

Are you saying that the latest CD is not from the master tape? Why would my LP have a treble spike? Were all LPs remastered by Grundman?

This is a mess!

8. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

AJA was cut a zillion times for LP. I just have a first press which was cut at ABC mastering. I also have a red vinyl British ABC press which sounds pretty close. These match my AJA CD version (Japanese) and the early American CD versions. Quite smooth, no strident bite.

9. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Grant, I'll check to see if I still have a Canadian GRT/ABC copy. GRT Canada usually got things OK tonally, even if their pressings were a bit shoddy at times. If not, I'll pick up a used one and compare to my US copy.

10. Beagle

Beagle Senior Member

Grant, my dead wax info is identical to yours. I didn't find a Canadian copy. But no matter...

I gave the U.S. press a refresher listen last night and I do like the sound of it. Quite clean and transparent. Great definition and clarity on pretty much everything. Cymbals are very crisp, transients very natural. I don't think I'd want to really change anything. I think in this case we cannot mistake clarity for brightness.

You can spot a Grundman mastering just by looking at the record. The grooves have a consistency and there is a black hue or shadow around the 'divider' area between tracks. This separation is also consistently the same size between all tracks. The grooves also look smaller, flatter, less upraised so to speak. I notice this on all his A&M stuff and Jackson Browne's "The Pretender", for example.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.