DCC Archive Steve, Do you think the Cloud has been left in?.....

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Back To Mono, Oct 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Back To Mono

Back To Mono New Member Thread Starter

Hi Steve,

I was listening to Warren Zevon's "A quiet normal life- the best of" CD and in particular "Werewolves of London"..... I don't know if your familiar with that track, but if so I would be interested to know in your opinion if the cloud has been pretty well left untouched? I notice the CD mastering credit is Barry Diament - Atlantic Studios.

Thanks, Steve M

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, I'd *hope* Steve's familiar with that track - he mastered it for Rock Of The 70s Vol 2!

3. Back To Mono

Thanks Luke, ...I was unaware of that,.... haven't seen that compilation here in Australia

4. Back To Mono

Steve, Taking into account Luke's comments above, I was wondering then what recollections you may have as to the tonality of the Master Tape of Werewolves of London

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Steve-o,
    Hop off the fence. Do you like the sound of the disc, or do you think it stinks? Let us know.

I haven't heard the new version, and I can't remember the way the song sounds, tone wise.

All I remember, is that the tape wouldn't play without being baked and I wasn't ever happy with the sound of the mix..... :mad:

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

6. Back To Mono

Steve, I wasn't sitting on the fence if I understand you correctly. The CD I have was released 1986, "Werewolves" has to my ears a fat but not clean bottom end and lower midrange,... similar to the original Australian vinyl release of "Excitable Boy" Lets forget about the sound of the vocal......I was endeavouring to get a handle on something you may have heard and/or mastered where the cloud has not been removed. From your comments though about the condition of the master tape the Asylum release may not have been sourced from the masters.....FYI unfortunately the DCC releases are not readily available in Australia.... Do you have an Australian Distributor?

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve,

Your description tallies with what I hear on my old LP. I'm sure the master was used on the old CD, but I never liked the sound of it.

A "Cloud" has nothing to do with the sound on this---This is bad mixing...

Think of the cloud when you hear The Doors "Break On Through", DCC version. That's what I mean. A nice warmth to the keyboard bass. Listen to how lean and "de-clouded" the old Elektra version is. Ecch.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Steve Hoffman ]

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Really? What do you find wrong with it? I guess I'm not noticing anything that bothers me.

9. Steve Hoffman

Luke, I fixed the DCC version as best as I could....It should sound damn good. :)

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, that must be my "problem"... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.