"Steve Perry Did Come Back In 1996"--TRIAL BY FIRE--Journey POLL:

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Jan 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

Generations is IMO the worse cd they have EVER released!! I find it amazing when a band has a great singer but everyone else in the band has to sing...why oh why!?!?!

2. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I prefer Trial By Fire to Raised On Radio (which is my least favourite Journey album by some distance) but I don't rate it particularly highly. Too much soul & not enough rock.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

It’s not that bad. Schon and Castronovo have good voices. Castronovo’s is actually quite good. Valory and Cain, not so much. Still, some quality songs on the album.

4. Wild Horse

Wild Horse Forum Resident

I have zero interest in their uptempo songs, but this band could always do a killer ballad.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Definitely.

6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Generations a solid effort. Voices were great on this rocker.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Talisman954

Talisman954 Forum Resident

Half his voice???
    Did you not hear his vocal performance on When You Love A Woman? he closes that song out with his trademark soaring vocals.
    Truly one of his finest ever vocal performances.
    I really don’t get this half a voice stuff!!! Who else could sing that song like him?

8. LittlePearl

LittlePearl Well-Known Member

Thank you! Does Peter Cetera have "half his voice"? Does Jon Bon Jovi? Lou Gramm? Coverdale? Why is Steve Perry alone held to this ridiculous standard where he's expected to sound like he did 40 effing years ago or otherwise his voice is shot?

Just about everyone from his cohort is significantly downtuning, using considerable amounts of technical assistance and in many cases still sounding pretty rough but they get a pass.

Perry IMO sounds fantastic on this album, pure soul and the grit in his voice perfectly suits the introspective rock and soul vibe of the album. Judging by his minimally-rehearsed, first time in 20 years performances with Eels he can still sing the socks off Cetera or JBJ etc, and maybe he would be if the fans allowed him to be a 69 year old guy who's more than made up for what he's lost at the top end of his range with his sensitivity of interpretation, tone, emotional expression and just pure damn soul.

Rant over.

9. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

If He Should Break Your Heart shoulda been a big hit....sounds so much like Journey in their prime!

10. Talisman954

Perfect rant IMO.
    All so very true

11. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Amen. Steve Perry sounds amazing on this album and FTLOSM. Hope he puts out an album before it's too late.

This album's main flaw is being too long. Cut about 4 or 5 songs and trim the length on songs like "Castles Burning" and it would be much more palatable.

12. Talisman954

Yeah I always skip castles burning. Can’t tame the lion. Colors of the spirit baby I’m leaving you and that awful bonus track from Japan.
    This could have been a classic 11 or 12 track album.
    But anyone saying Steve didn’t sing well on this album are just deluded.
    I listen to FTLOSM constantly. I am. Title track. Missing you. Such great vocal performances
    Also while I think of it. Still she cries and when I think of you from TBF are also superb performances from Steve.
    If you listen to any journey album since they kicked him out,the quality of the songwriting and the vocals are severely lacking.
    Steve was clearly the main writer/ quality control / unmatched vocalist.

13. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

I was entrenched in a nice Journey phase a few years ago, but never embraced this album. My opinion is much like that of the band’s (potentially biased) former manager, Herbie Herbert. The songs generally feel a bit monotone and just don’t ever really lift off.

14. The Beave

The Beave My Wife Is My Life! And don’t I forget it!

I lost interest in Journey on the Frontier s album. Up until then they were 'Street', with elements of Santana, Jazz, Blues, hippie rock. But something happened to them after Departure, they lost their charm for me and when Cain came into the fold that was it. Formula adult contemporary music. Yes, it served them well as they went to incredible heights, but it killed the Street cred the band originally had with the early fans like me. They're music turned from a Positive hippie type vibe into what I call 'Drama' pop, again, it served them well, but I'd rather remember happy songs like 'Majestic', 'Lovin, Touchin, Squeezing' then Drama Pop songs about families breaking up and downer **** like that.
    For me:
    Infinity
    Evolution
    Departure,
    After r that, corporate schlock to the max.
    But to each his or her own.
    Beave

15. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I know I played it a few times on release and formed the view that it did lacked the consistency of classic Journey. It is definitely too long. I'm moved to give it another spin before I vote though.

16. artfromtex

Later on I am gonna come up with my 10 track version of TBF. I may have to leave off a ballad or two that I like just so there is sufficient variety.

17. artfromtex

I agree, with the exception of the first album with Arnel, "Revelation". I think there are some great songs on that album that have the trademark sound of soaring energy. I think Arnel brought a ton of enthusiasm to the rest of the guys and that translated into some inspired songwriting.

18. Psychedelic Good Trip

Over 75 minutes could be torture but I like the opener Message Of Love.

19. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Kevin Shirley and John Kaldoner try to turn every record they're involved with into Aerosmith.

20. LittlePearl

LittlePearl Well-Known Member

Well I can listen to this one from start to finish. I could live without Baby I'm A-leavin' You and Forever in Blue, but I don't strongly object to them.

I love the neurotic freneticism of Castles Burning - perfect ugly breakup song! Love Can't Tame the Lion, all the more for knowing it's an ode to the fans. Leaving I Can See It In Your Eyes off the US version is up there with leaving Ask the Lonely off Frontiers in the list of Bad Journey Decisions. Although I do prefer Guff's punkier cover (with a surprise guest on backing vocals).

If I have to pick 4, it's got to be: Don't Be Down on Me Baby - pure soul that Otis Redding would be proud of, Trial By Fire - just for that first line, It's Just the Rain and When You Love a Woman - when in doubt, go for the power ballad.

21. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

My CD has just the 14 tracks ending at Trial By Fire. I picked Message Of Love, One More, If It Should Break Your Heart and Still She Cries. I just "re-listened" for the first time for a few years and think I did under-rate it. If only they had edited it back to 10 songs or so - it would be much more accessible IMHO. Too many power ballads extending the listing - less is more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.