Steve - question about your mastering experiences...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Holy Zoo, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

I'm curious what the "typical" (I know, no such thing!) EQ work on a mastering job is like?

Do you normally do it song-by-song? Or is it more typical to just "let it rip" once you've found "the sweet spot"?

Thanks!

jeff

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Jeff, it totally depends on the project, as any mastering engineer would tell you.

If an album (jazz usually) was recorded in one place, by one engineer and mixed all in the same place, I usually find the bulls eye, tonality wise and level wise and let it rip.

On the other hand, with a project like the Beach Boys "Endless Summer" or "Spirit Of America", each song was different and had to be tweaked by itself. In some songs on there there were many EQ moves for each song. I have pages of notes on this type of thing. It would make the world's most boring book! :)

I ALWAYS stop short of going overboard in mastering so I don't make each song on a compilation sound tone wise like the other songs on the disc. I always respect the sonic signature of the original mixes, and only do a little tweaking to enhance the good stuff. A rule of thumb for me for EQ is:

1. Listen and get to know the song flat.

2. Twiddle the knobs until it sounds perfect to me.

3. Back everything off BY HALF.

4. Lay it down.

See?

3. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-) Thread Starter

Steve, thanks!

Interesting about the "back off half-way" thing - I do that in photoshop when adjusting brightness/contrast!

A follow-on question: would you mind sharing the trickiest EQ mastering job you've done on a non-compilation record, in terms of different adjustments required per song?

4. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

That's like your secret recipe book isn't it.

When you make the EQ changes during a song do you turn the knobs on the fly or do you make an edit? I know you don't use a DAW... and I guess I just answered my own question. Never mind.:)

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Steve,

When you "lay it down," what is it laid to?

6. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam

Steve,

I had read in one of your interviews that you generally subtract versus add when completing EQ work. Are there exceptions to that general rule and if so, is there a specific type of track where you would add versus subtract?

I ask because I find when I re-master that a lot of vintage Top 40 tracks need "just a tad" of additional low end in order to have that right circa vintage feel - like their 7" inch 45rpm counterpart. Of course, I am not working with master tapes, either!

Thanks!

Bob:)

7. Steve Hoffman

Jamie,

If it's REALLY complicated I'll edit for digital or do a 30 IPS 1/2 analog dub for LP. But usually I do the moves "live". More fun that way, seat of your pants and all that...

8. Steve Hoffman

For digital, the digital master, usually X-O-Bite :) or whatever the factory that we are using needs.

For analog, 30 IPS non-dolby 1/2 inch BASF on an Ampex ATR-100.

Of course, when cutting an LP, the moves FOR THE ENTIRE SIDE have to be done live, just like the old days. It gets the juices flowing!

9. Steve Hoffman

Always exceptions to the rule, Bob. I try not to give away too many of my little secrets.

Bob Seger "Night Moves" ADD EQ

Bob Seger "Fire Down Below" SUBTRACT EQ

And so on...

10. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Thanks!

None of us here would ever try to coax any trade secrets out of you, right folks?;)

We trust your ears!

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I assume this is another "there are always exceptions" thing? Like the Mamas & Papas disc?

How about the recently mentioned Slow Down stereo mix - would you "pump up" the bottom, or just leave it as-is (somewhat lacking in bass)?

12. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Well...upon further thought - since you mentioned these tracks in particular, would you be willing to you share your EQ moves?:angel:

Thanks!

13. Steve Hoffman

Ah, the Mamas & Papas. Some of those songs I worked on had EQ like:

-12db@3400, +6@40 cycles, +6@125 cycles, +4@250 cycles and so on for just one song (like "I Saw Her Again" I think). Boy some of that stuff sounded bad flat. Worst I've ever heard.

Slow Down in stereo. Such a bad mix, like "Hand" and "Can't Buy Me Love" in stereo; the crucial rhythm track not loud enough.

Would I pump up the bottom? Well, it's been awhile since I played the stereo version, but I would try various bass enhancement techniques to see if the bottom end is better, totally screwed up, thuddy or whatever. I'd have to hear it again. I'm used to the splattered version these days..

14. Steve Hoffman

Sure Bob:

Bob Seger "Night Moves" ADD EQ

Bob Seger "Fire Down Below" SUBTRACT EQ

If you have the DCC Gold CD of Night Moves handy, put those two songs on. Now, if you have the old Capitol silver CD version, try those two songs. OOPS! See what I mean? Noght Moves: Too soft sounding. Fire Down Below: Too hard sounding.

On the DCC version of "Night Moves", I (going from memory) ADDED a db at 3k, 6k and 8k for the body of the song, slipping it in on a drumbeat, but left the intro's and middle quiet section flat as to not add hiss to the thing.

On the DCC version of "Fire Down Below" I SUBTRACTED (going from memory) 3 db around 3400 which brought everything else into focus without having to add bass or top end.

Those songs were mixed at different times at different studios.

How's that?
    :)

TongueDruid likes this.
  15. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Just so ya know, Steve...I'm eating this stuff up alive! Love it!

16. Bob Lovely

Hey Steve,

Thanks and very educational! Unfortunately, I cannot do the A/B test, as you suggest, as I only have the version mastered by you these days but, very insightful!

17. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

You and me both:p ...wish this sort of thread happened more often...:)

ED:cool:

18. Steve Hoffman

Hi Rob,

Always glad to see you here!

How are things at the Hit Factory Mastering in cold New York?

OG Dreadful likes this.
  19. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

20. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I want that book Steve's gonna write!;)

21. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair Forum Resident

Sadly, in the pop/rock world, if all of Steve's secrets got out, it wouldn't affect many albums on the shelves for the next few years. His methods do not fit current commercial trends and desires.

22. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

Hi'ya Steve!

Great to be here! I just got in after a long day (what else is new...)

It sure is cold here, my man...I'd give anything to be in (presumably) sunny California right now...I need some Beach Boys surfer tunes to fool me into thinking that it's not 30 degrees outside!!

TongueDruid likes this.
  23. Angel

Angel New Member

I printed this out and taped it over the mastering desk here. Good words.

24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'm buyin one...

25. dwmann

dwmann Well-Known Member

I don't know. Personally, I'd like to coax all of Steve's trade secrets out of him. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.