Steve Wilson -- Insurgentes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by townsend, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Instead of short samples on Amazon, I listed to the full album on youtube and really enjoyed it. In fact, I am thinking seriously about purchasing it.

However, trying to figure out the discography is a pain.

1) 2009 -- originally released as a CD+DVD-A. I assume maybe just a CD alone release as well?

2) 2016 -- Steve Wilson remastered it. At least one-CD release, may be 2-CD as well?

In one of the only two other threads on Insurgentes (both closed to replies), some posters rejoiced at the remaster because the original was brickwalled. Fair enough.

So is the 2016 SW master the way to go? Was this also released as a 2-CD set, which I guess would have some bonus tracks? Is it a digipak?

I looked on eBay at the listings, which are confusing as . . .

2. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

He doesn't remaster. He remixes.

3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It was confusing in 2009, when I bought my CD/DVD-A/DVD-V 2 disc.

4. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Insurgents was indeed a remaster (not remix) for the latest cd release - Steven felt the original issue was a little too compressed. He’s done the same with the latest BFII cd issue

Bill Mac likes this.
  5. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

6. DaverJ

DaverJ Forum Resident

My understanding is the currently available version is the single CD digipack (KSCOPE375), remastered in 2016 - although my version has a 2009 copyright and no mention of a re-mastering.

I also have the 2-disc CD/DVD version - the DVD is the same album in high resolution and surround.

Looking as discogs, it looks like originally there was a version with a five song bonus CD at one point, but this one is rare and will cost you. If you do surround DVDs, that would be set to get. If not, the current digipack is great, and well worth the modest price.

7. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

This is nothing t all to do with his classic rock remixing work.

8. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

9. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I bought the original CD/DVD-A two-fer years back, and am pretty happy with it. Now granted, I haven't had it out for years, and haven't heard the new (de-compressed) version. I thought the original album sounded fine at the time.

drum_cas likes this.
  10. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

With the Porcupine Tree catalog he did do some remasters. If I recall Hand.Cannot.Erase was not mastered at all, it was manufactured directly from his final mixes (with fantastic results). I was actually surprised to see a mastering credit on “To The Bone.”

11. Tyler

Tyler Senior Member

Haven’t heard the remaster, but the original vinyl and CD releases do not sound bad by any stretch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.