Steve Wilson Yes Deluxe Treatment: Why Not Fragile Before Relayer?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluerondo, Sep 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluerondo

bluerondo Forum Resident Thread Starter

I see where the Yes album set to most recently get the Steve Wilson deluxe edition treatment and set for release in November 2014 is Relayer. I'll buy this one when it comes out, though I never actually heard this one much at all, but I'll have to admit I was disappointed and perplexed as to why he didn't do Fragile next instead. To me, that would have been the logical choice. It's the best of all the Yes albums IMHO, and although it has been released as a 24K gold CD through MOFI as well as a DVD-A, which I failed to buy when it was in print, I believe a Steve Wilson release of this one is highly anticipated and would be most welcomed. Anyone know of the back story on why he chose Relayer, and whether Fragile is even on the horizon for his magic touch and a future release. Woulda made a REAL NICE Christmas present. :-(

2. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Perhaps because there already is a DVD-A version of Fragile (albeit out of print). But that would cut into the market for a new one, especially as the existing one is highly acclaimed.

jsayers, gillcup and Scooter59 like this.
  3. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

The SACD is still in print.

4. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's the title that'll get an "immersion box!" :laugh:

I'm more disappointed that there's no deluxe edition of Tales From Topographic Oceans before Relayer.

5. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I'm sure they'll get to it eventually. Since it's their most popular album they may actually be holding off and planning to release it last, to go out with a bang.

6. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

For the time being, the 96/24 HDTracks version of Tales is pretty tasty. I don't have very many HDTracks titles, and I'm not sure of the source, but my ears have not heard a better version. I also have a grey-market 'Bartz remaster' (Jim Bartz) that's quite good.

Agent57 and dkmonroe like this.
  7. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Because Wilson tends to do albums regarded as prog masterworks rather than commercial successes.

wavethatflag and MoonPool like this.
  8. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

I believe that Relayer is the last Yes album that Steven Wilson is to remaster. Only three were up for remastering by SW and as we know The Yes Album and Close To The Edge were the other two.

Hope I`m wrong.

9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

No, I'm pretty sure that he will tackle Fragile and Tales as well. I'm guessing Fragile got passed over this because there's already a 5.1 version, but I'm sure Wilson can do a better job with it. Maybe Relayer is just a personal favorite of his.

10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I hope we get Fragile and Tales after Relayer. That's all I need.

qtrules likes this.
  11. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

My favorite Yes album!

jon9091 and rburly like this.
  12. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm glad he's doing something other than "Fragile". I don't need another "Fragile". Several good options already. That's not the case with "Relayer".

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

I'd rather have Trent Reznor do the 5.1 mix of Fragile.

14. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

You are wrong. Steven Wilson doesn't remaster. He remixes.

MoonPool and qtrules like this.
  15. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I've heard so many versions of Fragile, I can wait another 6 months.

Relayer is the way to go! I'm really looking forward to it!

MoonPool, agentalbert and Zephead2112 like this.
  16. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Maybe he thought Relayer was the most in need of a remix. I kinda think it is.

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Relayer is a awesome album and probably Steven's favorite to remix. A challenge so to speak! Then Tales and Fragile last is what Steven will do.

18. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I suspect the same, although it's still surprising given the popularity of Fragile.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  19. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Relayer has one of my favorite pieces of music of all time. Needless to say I am excited about this one.

MoonPool and old school like this.
  20. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

OK, I think you know what I was trying to get across and I do stick by what I said about just three Steven Wilson remixes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Say It Right likes this.
  21. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Whats wrong with having Relayer next? I'm not complaining.

22. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Well, I think you'll be proven wrong about that too. I don't see why they would pass on reissuing one of their most successful albums in this series.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Neither am I, as it is underrepresented in my collection compared to Fragile.

24. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Quit complaining. The third title was originally rumored to be Big Generator.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  25. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I'm not sure if logic ever played a part in any reissue program. Why should this be an exception?

If it had been up to me, Relayer would have been the first release in this series.

Frippwire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.