Steve, would you talk about your Tannoys briefly?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by audio, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audio

audio New Member Thread Starter

This is a question for Steve, but I would also be interested in hearing the impressions of others as well.

Steve, you currently have Tannoy Monitor Gold 15"s but you used to have a pair of Tannoy Berkeley, I assume with HPD 15" drivers in them. Could you describe what you perceive to be the difference sonically between the LSU and HPD series 15" units? I would very much like to know what you have to say.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

No, I had a pair of Tannoy Windsors, fully horn-loaded. I sold them to a guy in Korea for more money than my parents originally bought their house for. The Windsors were a GRF design and the reason I sold them over the Lancasters I still have is that the Lancasters are in a bass reflex cabinet and (to me) have a better overall sound.

So, can't help you, sorry. Both were Gold 15" dual concentric designs, the Windsors were built in like 1972 and my Lancasters are from 1968 or so. Both designs die at around 13k....

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Anyone know which model of the Tannoy Golds were discontinued about 10 years ago? I had no idea there were different models.

4. audio

Thanks for your reply Steve, but I'm puzzled. Didn't you have a pair of Tannoy Berkeley in your office at DCC for a time? Weren't those the pair that you gave away here a while back?

5. Steve Hoffman

The gray pair? Those are modern DMT-12's, still in print in any studio equipment store...

6. audio

Okay, I must have been confusing my memory of the speakers in this photo (which are JBLs, right?) with a pair of Tannoys:

http://www.web-house.net/musik/stevehoffman/steve32.html

So the DMT-12s were the pair you mastered "Hotel California" on?

7. Steve Hoffman

Look at the two pictures in the FAQ section under "Some old photos from DCC" or whatever it's called. I had the JBL's in my office first, then the Tannoy DMT-12's.

8. Ctiger2

Ctiger2 Senior Member

With all the talk of the Tannoy, I had been keeping a lookout for a pair in my neck of the woods. Can you beleive a pair of 15" Monitor Golds in Lancaster cab's became for sale in Iowa? Iowa of all places. Well, needless to say, I now own them since last Sat. Talking to the kid that got them. He informed me that he purchased them along with a Thorens TD124 MKII, and a MAC 240 at an estate sale. I guess they were owned by an older college professor who recently passed. The kid sold the MAC & Thorens already. The professor had good taste. They are in excellent overall condition. I have only had about 2 hours to listen but, my initial impressions are very good. They are not as "bright & detailed" as the Klipsch Cornwalls/La Scala's. They seem to have a "smoother & thicker" sound to them. I need more listening time for a real opinion. They are definitely keepers though. Bye Bye Cornwalls. The BASS....wow! More to come...

9. Steve Hoffman

You lucked out, bro! Good going!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.