Steven Wilson to remix ELP s/t and Tarkus -- Official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by vkamicht, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The Tarkus 5.1 remix is odd in one way. The synth sounds are weaker to my ears (tinny I guess) than what I am used to. They sound meatier in the original stereo mix.

2. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have it and love it, as well!

3. Claus

Claus Senior Member

We don't know what happened btw Steven Wilson and the record company. Why he mastered the first two albums? Makes no sense for me... I believe Steven had troubles with ...

4. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Steven Wilson in his Innerviews interview also reveals that Jakko Jakszyk has taken over the surround sound and new stereo mixes for ELP's Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery. Long-term site visitors will also recall that Jakszyk is also working on the 5.1 mix of Thrak although no date has yet been set for its release.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Sloppy seconds. :p

marke and Lownote30 like this.
  6. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

Would anyone who owns the MFSL Tarkus be kind enough to post DR values?

I have the chance to buy a used MFSL for $40. Kind of on the fence about it since I know it's not most peoples' favorite version. Does the 2012 Deluxe Edition's original mix smoke the MFSL?

For the 2012 release, I'm curious if most people prefer the original mix or the Steve Wilson stereo remix. (I don't currently have a 5.1 setup.) Thanks!

7. rxcory

Asked another way: does the 2012 DE make the MFSL less relevant?

8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

There you go:

So apparently the remix is more dynamic than the MoFi.
    Note: there is a mastered version of the remix on the CD and non-mastered version of that same remix on the DVD in Hi-Res. The non-mastered is even more dynamic but sounds a bit clinical, there is so much clarity to everything.

I haven't compared the 2012 remaster of the original mix to the MFSL, but most have commented that the MFSL has goosed bass. You might like it or not depending on your system.

albertop and rxcory like this.
  9. rxcory

Thanks!!! And also thanks for adding the MFSL to the DR database if that was you.

10. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

You're welcome! :)

11. rxcory

Just picked up the 2012 DE Tarkus at my friendly neigborhood record store and......wow! Can't remember the last time a reissue/remaster sounded this spectacular (aside from releases from audiophile labels).

12. old school

old school Senior Member

I don't want to read 31 pages lazy I like Stevens work so what I'm asking are the first two ELP Deluxe Editions on Sony UK winners on this forum? If so I want to pull the trigger and get them.

13. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I think that the music of Gentle Giant will work magically through 5.1 if done right.

DonnyMe likes this.
  14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I agree. There were some rumors that SW might eventually work on Gentle Giant, but I'm guessing that Yes and Xtc will be taking precedence for the time being.

15. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

It's not unanimous. My personal feeling is that they're good, not a clear step-up on the past, and the 5.1 is not a revelation. That may sound tough but I found it less convincing than some of SW's other work. My impression is that other forumites have been generally approving but I've heard little enthusiasm.

16. CrimsonPiper

CrimsonPiper Forum Resident

I can only imagine how all these counter parts (vocals & instruments) can sound in 5.1 if done with a good taste...

17. old school

old school Senior Member

Thank You. The 5.1 not being a clear revelation tells me all I needed to know.

18. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

The only thing I ever have to adjust is the subwoofer volume level and at that I only adjust one of them. The other one I leave on a static setting.

I am enjoying the 5.1 on the ELP discs.

19. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

The ELP-Sony editions are very nice, decided to get them via Amazon UK instead of the the domestic
    US editions. And yes, to my ears, Tarkus DE sounds so much more spacious vs the MFSL edition,
    which from what I remember is very close to the Victory Tarkus issued in Nov / Dec of 1993 when
    the Return Of The Manticore was issued...

20. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I love them.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The ELP stereo remixes sound reat, especially in Hi-Res. I haven't had the time to spend much time with the 5.1, but be warned that for a couple of tracks the multitracks could not be found and they were upmixed.

22. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Has anyone identified the mastering source for the original mixes on these sets? Are they identical to any previous versions of completely new?

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

IIRC, they are new masterings.

24. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

Thanks. I think I remember somebody saying they were identical to the 2011 Sony remasters, but then again I also remember someone saying the Sony remasters were identical to the SF, so my memory is likely faulty.

25. smiley69

smiley69 Forum Resident

Wow, straight from the ELPD facebook page :
    "Apparently "Steven Wilson won’t remix any more Emerson, Lake and Palmer albums – because he doesn’t feel as strongly drawn to their music as he does to others."

Could it also be due to the fact that he hasn't been asked after screwing up and including a track that wasn't even Emerson, Lake & Palmer on the remixed Tarkus ?"

https://www.facebook.com/elp.digest?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

Seems a bit rude, doesn't it ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.