Steve's DCC vs. Hi-Rez 24/96: shootout!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SamS, Aug 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SamS

SamS Forum Legend Thread Starter

Today I decided for a detailed comparision of the DCC version of Queensryche "Empire" mastered by our-man-Steve vs. the newly released EMI DVD-A version which has a 24/96 MLP track on it.

If you look at my profile, you'll see I have a pretty good way to do an A/B with an all-analog Sony ES preamp that allows me to switch via remote.

After syncing up several tracks, what did I find? Well Steve's version was the best CD version I'd heard of this old fav. Very smooth and nicely balanced. The DVD-A version was at least 4db louder, so I constantly had to compensate for that. It was also much brighter, with a more EQ'd top end. Vocals kinda "jumped out" of the music, not feeling as though they were cohesive with the mix.

To an untrained ear, the 24/96 tracks might be the better pick for their liveliness and a little more seperation between instruments. I like the DCC for it's top-end smoothness and coherance that I'm sure we can thank Steve for.

I don't think the differences I heard between the two were related to 16/44 vs 24/96, I think it was more of mastering. The DVD-A was mastered by Robert Vosgien @ Capitol Studios.

The winner is....

DCC of course! I like the surround mix on the DVD-A for fun, but I'll take Steve's stereo version anyday.

2. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Interesting but I think we would have to hear the identical track mastered in 24/96 by Steve to make a meaningful comparison.

3. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Yes, that would be a more fair comparison of the formats involved (redboook ~ gold and DVD-A), but it's interesting to note that ~ once again ~ the mastering is the most significant factor!

4. Khorn

Khorn Dynagrunt Obversarian

Mastering rules but the is ultimately contained within the format.

BTW Gary, I just picked up the SACD of Blood, Sweat & Tears. I also have the last CD mastering so maybe we could compare them on Saturday.

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Sounds good!

(oh.... pun alert, pun alert!!!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.