Stipe: "REM will never play together again"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Technocentral, Dec 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. George P

George P Notable Member

Thanks for the link.

What is that in his nose?

And God, retirement has aged him quickly.

voicebug, Mr Hankey and hi_watt like this.
  3. conjotter

conjotter Forum Resident

Thanks for posting the interview clip.

They had a great run of albums and have nothing to apologize for or to justify.

Murmur -- their first LP -- is the one I seem to play the most. It was just so fresh at the time.

SteveM, vonwegen, willied and 8 others like this.
  4. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

uh, didn't he say as much when they broke up?

Jack o' the Shadows, JLGB and jsayers like this.
  5. Golden Richards

Golden Richards Forum Rodent

I totally respect R.E.M. for their decision and sticking to their guns. But...there is a part of me that thinks what a waste that the chemistry that these four guys had together will never be utilized again.

6. Technocentral

He does look shockingly old alright, I know when bands split up they say never again, but thats usually when they are young when it happens, I think he knows that they have done at all and is VERY adamant that it will never happen, I do miss them a lot and have great memories of their Dublin Olympia "live rehearsals" in 2007, a very unique musical experience.
    I know that of course but lots say that initially, but as I said he seems very, very adamant.

7. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Give it a decade or so. If Connery came back as Bond so can R.E.M. Why not just say nothing instead of these grand definitive statements.

8. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Didn't REM break up on good terms? I don't see why Stipe would say never. Not even at a charity show?

9. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

They are one of my all-time favorite bands, ever since buying Murmur as a $6.98 "developing artist" new release. I've followed and loved them since then, appreciatively attending multiple shows over the years. They always did it right* - from the fan club to its ability to secure incredible seats for me as a member.

I hope they stick to their guns. I did my mourning once, don't want to have to do it again.

*Gotta admit, the reissue campaign hasn't been stellar... I hope there's more in the works collecting all of that missing material.

DJ LX and Remurmur like this.
  10. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

I feel sorry for Michael as he seems to me to be the most affected by the band's decision.

Mike has had The Baseball Project albums and tours to keep him involved in music and of course Peter is just as busy as he's always been, with musical contributions both studio and live with The Minus 5, Robyn Hitchcock, Tired Pony, Tuatara, and his own solo work.

Michael just seems to have his visual art and photography work as well as overseeing movie production through his production company which I'm sure is fulfilling to him but after that many years of being on a stage performing, surely there has to be some part of him that misses it.

I don't see them ever reforming, (not the "R.E.M. way" ) but this long long time fan wishes them all the best regardless...:)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

There was no interview on the page I clicked, however, I did find this one from 2014:

And I don't think he looks bad at all.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

REM was never on my playlists growing up but for some reason I seem to be interested in their music more lately.I enjoyed the REMTV special.

Laibach and ian christopher like this.
  13. Remurmur

I think he looks kind of scholarly here, kind of like a noted physicist about to give a presentation on the latest findings in String Theory...;)

14. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

He looks a little like Ian Anderson now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Technocentral

The link is at the bottom of article.

trusso likes this.
  16. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It's the sign of a 54 year old man trying to appear 'with it'.

Efus, Buda, Black Widow and 3 others like this.
  17. Remurmur

Agree and agree...

JimC likes this.
  18. He seems to be morphing into Bill Murray.

Gavinyl, highway chile, marke and 7 others like this.
  19. bobfrombob

bobfrombob Forum Resident

Have always loved this band. He got asked the question and answered "never". If you don't want to hear what artists have to say, don't look at interviews. Why question his motives or his resolve?

I believe him.

cungar and ian christopher like this.
  20. I think its the ill kept beard (all gray) and letting his remaining hair grow back that ages him the most (as it is all gray as well) in combination plus the nose piercing does him no favors IMHO.

21. George P

George P Notable Member

The interview is buried halfway down the page and rather small. I missed it the first time, too. Here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

He's a bear now.

23. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Never say never. At least one of them will get married again. They miss it at some point. I think Bill will be back as well.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

My first thought was Papa Smurf.

25. Remurmur

I agree with everything you said here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.