Stones---only 11 titles are coming Tuesday

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Larry Geller, Aug 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic Thread Starter

I'll be getting them tonight, but the distributor already has them & it turns out that only half of them are coming out this week:
    Out Of Our Heads UK
    Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)
    Aftermath US
    Aftermath UK
    Between The Buttons UK
    Their Satanic Majesties Request
    Beggars Banquet
    Let It Bleed
    "Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out!"
    Hot Rocks 1964-1971
    Metamorphosis

In other words, mostly the ones without the Stereo vs. Mono questions (like Now or December's Children), where the masters were in 1 place instead of scattered throughout Chicago, LA, London, etc.

BTW--What's with the huge "Button" title on Between The Buttons? They're on the far left & right bottom of the cover, like the current US CD, instead of on Charlie's jacket, where they have been erased---so much for "Painstakingly replicated...capturing the look and feel of the original LPs!" Why not just have a sticker, like on Banquet, Satanic & Hot Rocks and give us the REAL cover?

BTW BTW--Anybody who gets the US Aftermath or US Buttons (with the exception of total completists) should have their head examined.

2. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Well, has anyone actually seen the digipack of this one yet? I know it has the big logos in the promo shots, but then again, Beggar's has the modified cover in the promo shots, but the "real" cover on the digipak itself. Could it be the actual digipak has the correct cover?

Damn. I was looking forward to getting More Hot Rocks. I guess I'll just get Beggar's for now.

3. Larry Geller

My friend has it in his hands & it's exactly as I described it--it sucks!

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Ratskiwatski! I was only planning on picking up the singles collection. Oh well, more time to save for it.

Regards,

5. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. It doesn't look exactly like the image on the cover of the press packet, as it doesn't say "BETWEEN THE BUTTONS UK" in big letters on the front. However, the text that used to appear IN the buttons on the record is large and on each side of the front...

6. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Please explain the pros and cons of purchasing "Big Hits" and "Through the Past Darkly". In other words, why or why not should I buy these?

7. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Christ, delays delays delays.

Well, getting Buttons and Aftermath, we can at least inspect the potential fold-downs.

-D

8. jkerr

jkerr Senior Member

Mainly if you don't want to get Hot Rocks/More Hot Rocks.

9. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Well, the two "buttons" on the Between the Buttons UK version are printed on the digipak (vs. a plastic sticker). But they aren't all that big to my eye.

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Re: Re: Stones---only 11 titles are coming Tuesday

Well, the point is, the original graphics were actually *in* Charlie's buttons, which looked really neat. What's on the new CD IS big compared to how they were there originally (besides not being in the right spot).

11. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Larry, do you know when the rest are due? The following week perhaps?

12. emilsjr

emilsjr New Member

Yep, the rest are coming September 4.

13. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

At the mo, these're completely disposable (although--interestingly enough--had they given us the UK editions, things like December's Children would suddenly have been slightly less necessary).

-D

14. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Picky Picky Picky !

Hardly a reason(s), not to pick up this music !

15. Larry Geller

OK--I now have 9 of the 11 discs (all but High Tide & the US Aftermath), and , on the whole, they sound amazing! Aftermath has a solidity to it that I've never heard before, even on my UK vinyl. It also seems to be the only place we're going to see Mother's Little Helper in stereo (unless it's also on Flowers), since it's STILL mono on Hot Rocks (even though it was stereo on the original UK CDs).
    Out Of Our Heads UK is ALL MONO---even Heart Of Stone (which IS in stereo on Hot Rocks---if you thought these releases would end the confusion--guess again!). Now, if the US Out Of Our Heads & December's Children CDs have stereo content, then this will be OK, but if they won't, then this just sucks. She Said Yeah STILL sounds as if it was recorded in Andrew Oldham's bathroom.
    Satanic absolutely sparkles---great separation & interesting silvered cover---not 3D, but nice nonetheless.
    Packaging, however, in no way has the feel of the LPs--unlike the perfectly done Virgin special editions. And what's with the dual quarter-moon tops & bottoms of the back covers that totally obscure much of the artwork? Beggar's Banquet is especially bad in this aspect--the old CD showed more of the legendary bathroom cover & had more correct color.
    Also, anybody who is buying all 22 to get the entire Satanic puzzle---forget it! I got THREE Walk Through The Sleepy Citys, TWO The Last Times, and TWO The Lanterns in my nine discs---they just seem to be randomly thrown in there (& since there's nowhere to hold them in, they just fly out of the CDs anyway--very poor planning).
    Metamorphosis is just a straight transfer of the UK LP---all weird reprocessed stuff is still that way---still good to finally have it on CD!
    On Hot Rocks, why the hell is Play With Fire still mono, when a perfectly good (and not strange like Satisfaction) stereo mix was on the old UK CD? It still looks like stereo is being begrudgingly let out as little as they could get away with.
    Last & certainly least, EVERY CD has the following nightmarish credit: "Additional Analog to Digital Transfer: Jon Astley & Pascal Byrne"
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Ahh...so it *IS* in stereo there. Surprising. Narrowed down?

Well, they do mention that Look What You've Done will be in stereo, so that's at least ONE stereo track on December's Children.

I see. So Don't Lie To Me is still very narrowed down (and not wide stereo like the rest of the Chess tracks)?

Yeah, I don't get it. ABKCO gives us all of the Chess tracks in WIDE stereo, yet feels the need to narrow down other tracks or issue them in mono. Why? Those Chess recordings are some of the widest ones in the catalog - why leave those wide but not other stuff?

Still waiting to get my hands on More Hot Rocks...

BTW, somebody over on ICE mentioned that they got another message from Best Buy, saying the singles box and More Hot Rocks WOULD be available on the 27th (after getting one from them saying they were back ordered).

17. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Oh, I hope so!

18. Larry Geller

Don't hold your breath. Why would anybody believe ANYTHING from Best Buy? They won't even honor their own ads!

19. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That is odd considering I just got an email from Best Buy today informing me that all of the SACD's I ordered are still scheduled for release on August 27th, December's Children being one of the discs I pre-ordered. I hope they're not yanking my chain.:eek:

20. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

That "somebody" is me. I don't know what to make of it, though. The guessing game continues!

Jay

21. Larry Geller

They are totally yanking your chain!

NP-Between The Buttons UK

22. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

That sucks.:realmad: :sigh:

23. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

My local record guy reports he'll get 18 of the 22 on Monday, so there's still hope we'll see more than 11 this tuesday.

24. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Hmm. I'm starting to think that ABKCO is going to be able to fill only certain retailers' orders for ALL titles this week. Best Buy may be among the group that gets most or all titles this week, while others may have to wait for additional production on certain titles. Here's hoping that J&R is also among that group that gets them all!

Jay

25. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

Stones Titles (11 coming out Tuesday)

As someone who plans on buying only the CDs needed to have every released Abkco Stones song, can someone tell me (based on the info that only half of the discs will be available this week) which titles I need to pick up? Thanks in Advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.