"Stranger Things" on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by davidshirt, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

I liked the show a lot. Very interesting. Solid writing, and the acting, especially from the girl that played 11, was superb.

RickH likes this.
  2. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I agree. Millie Bobby Brown's performance was worthy of an Emmy nomination imo. Unlikely she would win but I'd like to see her get the recognition.

[​IMG]

3. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Just finished the show. One of the best dramas I have seen in years.

4. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

That one finally made me put him on Ignore.

5. phish

phish Jack Your Body

6. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

I can not remember what happened to Nancy's friend Barb, the monster dragged her into the pool but I do not recall if they ever mentioned her at the end of the season. Does anyone know?

7. bartels76

Yes you saw her body twice after that. The second time was in the last episode and she was clearly a goner by that point. Barb is gone unless they somehow resurrect her in Season 2. I know the producers liked her as it was her first acting experience. She was nicknamed "Poor Barb".

8. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Wasn't she decomposing on the other side?

9. bartels76

Yes

phish likes this.
  10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Maybe Barb comes back as the monster in the "sequel". :laugh:

Vidiot likes this.
  11. bartels76

In that upside down universe anything is possible. We barely know what the heck goes on in there.

BluesOvertookMe and GodShifter like this.
  12. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Just finished this up with my two nine year old girls, girlfriend and her 14 year old son. A good time was had by all.

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  13. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Thank you, "Poor Barb" she was one of the good ones... ;^)

14. Well if humans can't die there, there's not a heck of a lot to worry about then is there? :)

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There's a lingering shot of her dead body with a long worm coming out of her mouth in the final hour of the show.

The producers have admitted that Barb is really and truly dead. But nobody has said for a fact who will come back, or if anybody will come back for Season 2.

phish likes this.
  16. PhilJol

PhilJol Forum Resident

Nancy never mentioned her in the final episode which was a bit of a surprise to me

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was a failing of the final episode, where they should have mentioned her and the cop should have told her friend that Barb wasn't gonna come back. The showrunners have said they felt they couldn't have made it any clearer than the shot of Barb's dead body with the slimy snake crawling out of her mouth, but I think it merited one line of dialogue: "Barb's not gonna come back."

I see a lot of movies out there that have plot issues that could be solved with one throwaway line of dialogue. The problem is convincing the director that the line is really needed.

GodShifter and Bender Rodriguez like this.
  18. phish

phish Jack Your Body

When you factor in the fact that Will is spitting out live stuff, it does seem Barb deserved an actual mention.

19. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

Finn Wolfhand, who played Mike Wheeler, will play Richie Tozier in Stephen King's It coming out September 2017.

Silken likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Watched this series this week. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Immediately reminded me of the feel of "The Goonies" (which isnt a bad thing. Loved that movie as a kid). It also reminded me of the movie "Super 8" (a terrific horror/sci-fi/goonies-like movie also). The creature from the upside down growls even sounded the same as the creature from Super 8.

I was really looking forward to this because I saw Winona Ryders name as a cast member. She kind of put me off in the first episode. Her acting was not to her usual standard that I recall. But as the series progressed she improved a lot.

The whole series was a lot of fun. Seems they got the 80s period look down also very well. Since Breaking Bad I always try and look for easter evgs now in these series. Tons of them of course in this series. Which adds to the nostalgia feel in a good way.

I dont know if I want a second season. This seemed like a great ending. Felt finished. But the cliff hangers were tasteful and Ill watch season 2 for sure.

All in all Id give it a strong B+. Fun entertainment.

GentleSenator and turnersmemo like this.
  21. bartels76

There were a couple shots of Nancy being sad/thinking about Barb but that was about it. I don't think the cops and families talked much about Barb though. She was an afterthought.

22. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

The opening titles for Cronenberg's adaptation of THE DEAD ZONE did both a super slow build with keyed-in image using the font from the paperback like that:

Vidiot likes this.
  23. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Great piece about the Stranger Things titles here:

MikeInFla, Vidiot and mpayan like this.
  24. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

The one anachronistic turn of phrase that got to me was "chill," as repeatedly used by Nancy, Barb and the A-listers to mean, "hang out." In 1983, when I was their age, we would have said...well..."hang out." "Chill," at the time, apart from its traditional temperature-related meaning, would be barked at someone who was unnecessarily excited about something. The current connotation has its roots in hip-hop culture and didn't enter wide usage until the early 1990's.

Loved the series in spite of its anachronisms, though I admit some teeth-gritting through the Bangles (1987) and Moby (1995!!!).

Finally, for the much earlier concern about the flash on the camera not going off...in the era of 35mm film cameras, the flash was a separate component with its own battery, and could be turned on and off at will. Pictures taken at a distance at night could be "lit" using longer film exposure and/or wider F-stop.

BluesOvertookMe and Vidiot like this.
  25. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds