Streamers: Which one or none?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Bubbamike, Dec 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

2. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

...and that is a conclusion that is, effectively, an error!

The Pi is a tool aimed at encouraging uptake in programming and coding. The fact it has the potential for other use shouldn't be ignored. Many projects out there exist in other ways to use the Pi, audio being only one.

morris_minor likes this.
  3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Does the BDP-2 have a built-in DAC? It looks like it requires the use of an external DAC.

4. ServingTheMusic

ServingTheMusic Forum Resident

No DAC. The is the MUCH better way to go. Outputs AES/EBU, BNC, and USB. This is not a toy streamer..I hope that does not sound snotty.

5. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

Also the pi is just the networking part of this. You can use just the pi alone but the DAC is awful. You can choose almost any DAC you want with it (USB or i2s) I doubr Naim or Cambridge or Linn or whatever company have anything more sophisticated for the networking part.

It's just one options among many.

Brother_Rael and morris_minor like this.
  6. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

Have you got a dealer who can demonstrate an all in renderer Naim / Linn, whatever against a top DAC? Everyone will give you different advice, a good dealer will be able to demonstrate the differences and it is your money and ears.

The only thing I will say, is that there is more to good sound than implementing the latest chips.

Kyhl and Bubbamike like this.
  7. Ham Sandwich

I was reading the info about it on the Bryston web site and got confused a little about its features. One part on the Bryston site talks about it being able to support 24/96, but to do 24/192 would require an external DAC. I was trying to figure out how it was doing 24/96 without a DAC? I assume the 24/96 must be supported by an optional module or something.

It is dedicated audio computer kit. Custom Intel Atom motherboard. Linear power supply. Looks to be fanless. And other tweaks that are going to be beyond what could really be done in a custom build PC for audio.

Dream kit would be a BDP-2 and a Yggy DAC connected by AES/EBU. :D

8. ServingTheMusic

Yes,,that was probably incorrectly edited web marketing material. It passes every know format including DSD256.. No DAC of any kind on board. Not only does it blow away any custom PC, but they now use an in house designed and built Soundcard.

Funny you say that...thr BDP-2 and Yggy are a dream match up for me!!! Would love to try it.

9. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Well I finally got fed up of my overheating Samsung NC20 Netbook, running Spotify & using my AV USB DAC. Partly due to this thread and its my usual 1month upgrade window (1st tax payment due 31/01) I went and picked up a Cambridge CXN to consolidate my digital sources, streaming, and music files. Great jump in dynamics. Lovely to also have a normal remote to grab to pause or mute immediately the phone rings.

10. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the Naim has a top dac, I'm not sure what chips are in it or the Cambridge. I have my own DAC and no one has thought it needs replacement, PS Audio NuWave.

Oggy likes this.
  11. Ham Sandwich

I'm using a Windows laptop running JRiver Media Center. And sometimes running Foobar. I want to try out Roon at some point. Running a Windows laptop for audio gives me those options. It's flexible in being able to handle a variety of playback software. And also is able to handle a variety of VST plug-ins that I like. Switching to a dedicated media player/streamer would mean losing that flexibility and losing the VST plug-ins.

The Windows laptop is causing issues. It has DPC latency problems. Windows 10 has problems which forced me to roll it back to Windows 8.1. The laptop solution isn't ideal for audio. I'll likely be looking at something like an Intel NUC computer running Linux. JRiver and Roon will be able to run on Linux. I'll have to investigate if the VST plug-ins I use have versions that will work in Linux. I'll be investigating options. Because the Windows laptop solution I currently have isn't ideal.

12. msinderson

msinderson Forum Resident

The Pi is much, much more than a toy. Configured the way I discussed in my last post I would put the sound quality of the Raspberry Pi up against dedicated audiophile streamers costing 10-20X as much, especially when those streamers don't have a DAC.

Well said! I use the optical digital output from the Pi and feed it to my outboard DAC and from there to the amp. As a network streaming device it is an amazing solution with a very minimal cost. I don't know why anyone would pay more for any other streaming device.

morris_minor likes this.
  13. Oggy

Oggy Forum Resident

It strikes me that you have got a really good grip of things. The market has moved so quickly from the likes of Logitech and Linn being niche products, to most audio companies offering a digital solution.

Apart from the convenience of a streamer / renderer, it surely comes down to sound quality / cost. For some, a computer / DAC is convenient and gives them the sound quality they are happy with.

A colleague recently chopped in an integrated renderer and now uses a NAS / highly respected DAC. As the supplied and available software improves, the lost convenience may return. I think he was expecting a big improvement in sound quality - this hasn't happened.

Having spoken (at length!) to some dealer friends and my colleagues experience, all I can really suggest if you fancy a change, or upgrade, is to have a dem for yourself.

I worked in the trade for 12 years, and was frequently amazed that folks were happy to spend several hundreds on sideway moves. I always recommended they either stick with what they got (and buy some more music!), or save up for what they really wanted. That is where a good dealer comes in. There is so much conflicting advice and mediocre equipment available - play something that bliws them away.

If I spend money, I want a worthwhile sonic improvement, or at the minimum, a large gain in convenience.

Trust your ears and enjoy your music!

Oggy

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
    CARPEYOLO likes this.
  14. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

+1 to this. I have both the Bluesound and a Naim NDX. The sound quality of the Bluesound is almost equal to the NDX, but at a fraction of the price.

sheffandy likes this.
  15. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I looked at Bluesound (node2) sound and price was fine. However, I wasn't looking for a multi-room solution but did need DLNA/UPnP.

16. ServingTheMusic

I just purchased an OLIVE One with their 50% off offer. Cost me $300 and change. i was looking for a one box wireless solution for my bedroom. I have a pair of little Spendors I have not used for a few years. The only wire will be speaker cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Seems most people and reviewers seem to jump over the I phone (or IPad) apps ,this is very important and not something to jump over . No matter how good the thing sounds ,if the app doesn't work well why bother
    I went through all "Whats Hi Fi "reviews ,few if any had pictures of the apps and how they work,what can be added ect a real problem picking a Streamer,

18. ServingTheMusic

Linn Kazzoo is one of the best FREE apps out there. I use it with all my devices that support Open Home/DLNA.

19. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

thanks but I don't have I pad yet

20. ServingTheMusic

Lots of Android apps too.

21. Ham Sandwich

A problem with many of the DLNA/UPnP based streaming solutions is lack of proper gapless playback. Some can do gapless playback, but most don't. Lack of gapless playback is a deal killer for me. Especially with classical music. The Beatles fans here will also want gapless support for Sgt. Pepper.

22. ServingTheMusic

I have not encountered that problem for about 7 years....basically non existent now.

Chooke likes this.
  23. theodore paul

theodore paul New Member

I bought my Cambridge Audion CXN last month as a Christmas present for myself. This is the first piece of gear that I bought new, got a great price paid $900 delivered. I really love it. The sound is great. Although the app it has only streams Spotify, that works for me. I can stream Tidal by either connecting it to my laptop or going through my bluetooth connection. I use it to stream internet radio. It will play any digital audio file but don't use it for that, I am mostly a vinyl guy.
    In summary I would say that I am really happy with this purchase. I'm sure that there are other players that may do a better job but they cost a lot more money. Cambridge has built a great piece of gear that dollar for dollar delivers great sound.

Bubbamike likes this.
  24. Phil4

Phil4 Active Member

Hi all,

I wasn't that interested in streaming however I just started researching the Raspberry Pi and I'm shocked at what it is capable of for that price so I'm planning on getting one soon. I am a little uncertain on a few things that I will need but this is what I've come up with:

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
    Pi Dac+
    IQ Audio case
    USB Hub
    SD Card (with Rune Audio?)

I intend on plugging in an external HDD to the Pi/hub and then connecting the dac to my pre amp. I'm not entirely sure which USB hub to get as some have issues with the Pi and it needs to have a power adapter. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  25. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

I have an old USB hub I found at work in a box. The thing is duct taped together but works. No USB HDD for me though.

As for the OS. Check out rune, volumio and moode. They all look similar. Volumio 2 is gonna come out soon and apparently will be much different. I couldn't get rune to work but the other two yes. Some people can get rune to work and not the others.

Phil4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.