Stupid Gryphon question

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrancisLScurvy, Mar 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrancisLScurvy

FrancisLScurvy New Member Thread Starter

I recently picked up the collection "About As Curious As It Can Be," which I absolutely love. The mastering, to my ears, is outstanding for a live performance.

But I was reading its entry on the All Music Guide, which claims that it features liner notes from Graeme Taylor. Which puzzled me, because my copy lacks said commentary, opting instead for a collage of Gryphon rock-sheet features.

Can anyone shed light on this?

2. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Well, I have that disc and it does indeed have liner notes by Taylor. This is the British pressing on Hux. It has an 8 page booklet. The center-spread is the collage. I don't know why your copy would not be identical to mine. :confused:

Cheers,
    Chris

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Just a guess--maybe the Gryphon is a reissue? A lot of reissues don't have the extras the original releases did. I have one Gryphon in my collection--a reissue of a Cal Tjader LP that originally appeared on the Skye label. Skye's albums were all gatefolds. This one was a cheap single sleeve...and it had terrible mastering to boot, almost sounding like they "electronically rechanneled" a stereo recording. Fortunately DCC Jazz reissued the Skye recordings...good stuff!

4. Rudy. I'm confused. :confused: Are you talking about a label called Gryphon Records?

These guys are talking about the U.K. prog rock band from the 1970s and CD on Hux Records. The CD in question is two previously unreleased BBC concerts, recorded in 1974 & 1975.

Attached Files:

5. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

Well, that's what I *thought* it was about, in my post-midnight barely awake haze.... :( Aaaah well, sorry....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.