Stuttering sound from Jotunheim/DAC

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tommy B, Dec 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy B

Tommy B New Member Thread Starter

I just purchased a Jotunheim amp with DAC (Schiit). I have an IMAC (2012) desktop and a MacBook Pro laptop (2016), running the latest version of Sierra. Using the computers' USB port connected to the DAC, the sound output (Sennheiser 800 s headphones) for both computer is choppy/stuttering.

Is this an Audio MIDI issue? Any suggestions for correcting this severe distortion problem? Thanks

2. Spica

Spica Easy like Sunday morning

This is honestly a real,shot in the dark, but I have come across faulty TDA 1541 DAC chips that have stuttered. Possible it cold be a chip fault, but I really don't know the architecture of the Schiit, so I may be totally wrong.

Can you try the DAC with something else?

3. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Make sure the firmware is up to date, if it's updatable. If you bought new, call Schiit. If you bought used, call the seller.

4. Davey

Davey NP: Broadcast ~ The Noise Made by People (2000 LP)

You still have to optimize the computer and whatever player you are using to avoid dropouts, it's not really plug and play. There are latency issues and all manner of buffer settings that need to be explored. Is anything else actively running on the computer at the time? Sometimes you have to shut down specific background processes. Agree with above, Schitt should have recommendations.

patient_ot likes this.
  5. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

I have a Jot connected to my 2015 iMac and used it with Sierra & High Sierra without any issues. You may have a conflict in your setup. Check in Sound in Preferences to ensure you have Jot selected. If you are using software like JRiver Media Center, make sure in the options you are using Jot too.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.