Stylus spinning on the label for a few hours?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Clucking, Apr 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life Thread Starter

My life is crazy right now, 1 year old girl, 5 year old boy, new job, covid...I have been trying to juggle everything but sometimes things slip. This morning I was playing an old Jack Teagarden album of my dad's that I had never played before, and chaos set in that took me away for about 5 hours. Just got back into my office to see the record spinning, with the stylus on the label. WTF?
    Lost cause? Any chance it survived? Ortofon 2m Bronze so we're not talking thousands of bucks but $300 to replace a stylus...well, it's not a good time for it. I haven't listened to it yet, I'm kinda afraid to. Next steps?

2. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Inspect for obvious damage. If none. Listen to it.

Leonthepro and clhboa like this.
  3. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

As stated and at a minimum add a Q-Up or one of the other lifting devices to prevent in the future. I have one on my VPI Scout and it has failed me yet, going on 7 years.

E.Baba and Clucking like this.
  4. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

The stylus is fine! Just in case it picked up some paper fuzz, just clean it and enjoy your records!

5. Clucking

Thanks - checked it out with the lens and was horrified, until I realized what I was looking at may just be crud. It was. Its' fine. Listening to some Weather Report and it sounds sublime.
    Q-up: It's been floating around in the back of my head. Maybe it's time.

myles, The FRiNgE and stax o' wax like this.
  6. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

If it sounds OK, it is OK.

Leonthepro, .crystalised. and E.Baba like this.
  7. DryWhiteToast

DryWhiteToast Where's my Ativan

Does this really cause damage?
    I have woken up after a night of well, nevermind.
    I have woken up heard my stylus go back and forth at the end of the record and always thought it did no damage.
    Am I wrong.
    What could happen afterall?

8. DyersEve726

DyersEve726 Schmo Diggy

Label is different than if it stays on the vinyl. If it does skip to the label, I'd assume an anti-skate adjustment is in order.

Shawn likes this.
  9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

10. Clucking

Yeah, generally that's the case, but my anti-skate is dialed in and this is the only time anything like that has ever happened, I think it's the record.

11. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Some sides have defective or broken catch grooves at the end of a lead out, and will always cause a stylus to drift into the label. It's pretty rare, but I've seen it before and I've got at least one album in my collection that has this affliction on one side. Other than sounding really awful, playing a label won't hurt a stylus. It's all good man :)

PS congrats on the new job and the young family :righton:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    Clucking likes this.
  12. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

Hangover at worst. And a noisy lead out. I've been there, stylus was fine.

13. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

Throw out all the vinyl, switch over entirely to 128k MP3 streaming and SiriusXM.

Leonthepro likes this.
  14. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Good chance it is fine, but it depends and nobody can give you 100% certainty over the internet, you're going to have to give it a whirl and see.... bottom line is 5 hours on the label is not something you want to make a habit of --- of course.

Check it, you might have lost a few hours play time with it, but good chance it's fine.... unless of course you just used up the last five hours and it already had 1000 hours or something on it!

15. IllinoisCheesehead

IllinoisCheesehead Forum Resident

Same here. Anti-skate is where it's supposed to be. Happened once to me on one particular old, used album. I don't think I've ever jumped up off the couch faster. No harm done, as it was only a few seconds. I chalked it up to a defective/damaged run out groove. But stupid me, I didn't make a note of which album it was before I put it back on the shelf...

.crystalised. likes this.
  16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I played a single that looked fine, but when I played it it jumped off the record onto the platter mat for a couple seconds. I thought, well that's that. Amazingly it seems fine. I think styli are toughr than most people think. Nothing I'd want to repeat though.

Clucking and .crystalised. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.