Submarine movies

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rick Bartlett, Feb 22, 2018.

1. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Run Silent, Run Deep.
    [​IMG]

jerol

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The ocean would seem a safe place for a zombie apocalypse, but I'd be fine with being above the surface and living on a boat. I'd hate to be confined to a submarine.

Any good movies about submarine warfare in WWI?

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  3. Malinky

Malinky Almost a Gentleman.

How could you miss out `Das Boot`........That`s German for `The Boat` you know. :laugh:

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  4. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I like this fairly recent (21st century anyway) submarine/supernatural flick: Below

[​IMG]

AndrewK likes this.
  5. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Destination Tokyo
    Up Periscope

Grampire and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  6. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

it's hard for people to imagine life on a submarine. 'apparently', only 10,000 returned to Germany
    after sending 30,000 to war on these U-boats. They were paid well and were provided the best
    food, even though so many never survived. I'm a bit of a history buff, so I really love when they bring this stuff
    to a movie. It's not only great cinema, but a reminder of what these guys did to defend their country....
    that's another argument that is not suited to discuss here of course.
    I have the upmost respect for these young fella's doing what was expected of them, and a great movie
    that displays that, is always on my playlist.

7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Zep Fan and ssmith3046 like this.
  8. Seaquest DSV

SandAndGlass likes this.
  9. konut

konut Prodigious Member. Thank you.

The scenes with Slim Pickens on the Japanese sub are the best part of the movie.

10. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

49th Parallel

The Silent Enemy - minisubs (Chariots), used by Italian "Frogmen" to attack British ships in Gibraltar.

It's a great film.

fr in sc likes this.
  11. SquishySounds

SquishySounds Yo mama so fat Thanos had to snap twice.

Don’t see why not. Zombies aren’t known for their swimming abilities so really any boat on a body of water larger than a pond should be OK

12. Alert

Alert Forum Resident

Great choice!

On the Beach is a fascinating movie that gets dragged down -- for me -- by the overly sentiment Anthony Perkins and Ava Gardner plotlines. If you delete all of the scenes of melodrama on land and just watch the scenes regarding the scientific, political and naval efforts the movie is much shorter and more interesting. I know -- I'm deleteing half the movie!

The scene in San Francisco Bay with the American sailor outside the nuclear sub speaking to the captain (via loudspeaker) is very compelling.

Vinny123 likes this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Always liked Das Boot, Above Us the Waves and Run Silent, Run Deep. As a kid I enjoyed Around the World Under the Sea, which I guess turned up on UK TV in the early 70s...

hellion likes this.
  14. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I dislike almost all Submarine movies that I've watched. Most are just too far from any kind of reality for me.

The ones I really liked and believe to be a fairly accurate portrayal (of course I've never been underway on a WWII boat) are:
    Das Boot
    Crimson Tide
    Hunt For Red October (to a lesser extent then the first two).​

MerseyBeatle and Gasman1003 like this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Read today about this Mini-series set to air in 2018, this is Sequel project.

Sky, Bavaria Greenlight $28-Million TV Version of U-Boat Drama ‘Das Boot’

"Christian Franckenstein, CEO of Bavaria Film, said in a statement: “Today, more than ever before, anti-war stories need to be told. The notions of war and terror are ubiquitous. The misguided actions of young men driven to commit acts of terror by false ideologies are obvious.”

Franckenstein added: “The 1981 film ‘Das Boot’ is unique, and we are approaching our work with the greatest of respect for this masterpiece. We want to build on the strong brand of ‘Das Boot’ and continue telling the story in a contemporary manner by making use of every filmmaking and storytelling technique available to us today.”

16. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

finslaw likes this.
  17. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

18. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

Austin Powers: Goldmember

"It's long and smooth and full of seamen."

fr in sc and John B Good like this.
  19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

My wife's dad was a master chief in the 50's/60's. Been looking for the best one to expose her to a likely interpretation of his experience. Don't think "Das Boot" featuring Germans would quite do it, realistic or not. She seems surprised there are so many options out there, but would love your thoughts.

20. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

Mare Nostrum (1926)

:cheers:
    Cat

21. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

2 pages in and nobody can remember the SCTV classic Das Boobs? No wonder why none of you will get behind my petition to get Five Neat Guys inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Chris DeVoe and Jeff57 like this.
  22. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

I like sub movies too, and read all the sub books I could get my hands on as a kid.

Was thinking just the other day that there hasn't been a good sub movie in quite awhile..

23. Gasman1003

I, for one, would like to thank you for your service, Ed.

Last October we visited the Royal Navy Submarine Museum at the Historic Dockyard in Portsmouth.

Whilst there we had the privilege to tour HMS Alliance, in the company of a guide who had more than 30 years service as a submariner.

His insights were incredible, and amusing.

Here are a few photos from the trip:

[​IMG][/URL[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    HMS Alliance (P417) - Wikipedia

HMS Alliance is the last surviving British submarine of the Second World War era, although only commissioned in 1947. She saw service until the 1970s.

Sorry for straying off topic, but the trip only reinforced my respect and admiration for all who defend our freedom.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  24. Gasman1003

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  25. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

very cool! thanks for showing those off, I'd love to see more! hard to imagine life in one of those submarines.
    Glad these historic pieces are still in existence.

Subvet and Gasman1003 like this.