Subwoofer question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Wie Gehts?, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wie Gehts?

Wie Gehts? New Member Thread Starter

My Thiel speakers have a nice midrange but very little bass. Consequently, I've been thinking about adding a subwoofer to my two-channel system. What can I expect from such an addition? When I hear "subwoofer" I tend to think of lease-breaking low-frequency sound such as one might hear in a movie theater, or the annoying thump-thump emanating from some 17-year-old dolt's mini-truck at the stoplight. All I want is to hear the bass that I know is on most classic rock recordings. Thanks in advance for your response.

2. Clay

Clay Forum Resident

I have an ADS subwoofer from about 10 years ago and it is very accurate.
    It is hooked up to my 5.1 system.
    If you get a regular old subwoofer you will not be happy.
    If you listen at low volumes the Monitor audio for ~$400 is a really nice little sub and better than the B&W when we did the sound test. I bought one for my son. The next model up is supposed to be goos also yet I have not heard it.
    I am saving for a Velodyne. They have a really nice high end unit with a computer and microphone that adjusts for room acoustics Wow! $2k or something like that ouch!
    The old model is good too and was $1500 (I think) yet is closed out at $1k.
    They also make a 18" one if you have lots of room that should go pretty low yet is like $4k or something.
    I took back a paradigm and got the ADS since IMO the Paradigm was boomy and the ADS was tight (It was $1k list at the time)and good for music not just HT.

3. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

An engineer I was acquainted with at one time was fond of Hsu Research subwoofers. He liked their ability to go very low (I think his model was good to 18Hz!) and play very cleanly. http://www.hsuresearch.com

I may build my own one day--I would almost like to try a 1/4 wavelength transmission line design since they are reportedly very uncolored. But they're not small cabinet designs by any means.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.