Suede Album-by-Album Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DrBeatle, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_spenalzo

mr_spenalzo Forum Resident

I haven't actually tried it, though I imagine it is an improvement:

Simon
    Cheap
    Lost In TV
    Positivity
    Obsessions
    Beautiful Loser
    Astrogirl
    Instant Sunshine
    Untitled (Stanbridge demo)
    ...Morning
    Oceans

CheshireCat, DrBeatle and Baron Garin like this.
  2. Wow, to boot it sounds like a better idea. Positivity isnt first! Haha. And Simon's there too. Easily one of their best songs in my opinion. I liked the redo lists he did for the first three albums. I found the re-sequence for Head Music to be a bit on the negative side though (he included Leaving, which was good, but he put it second to last as opposed to the final song, and put Heroin as the end which is just the most bum and glum notes to end an album like Head Music, I'd have replaced it with Let Go in the third to last spot and had Leaving close).

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. mr_spenalzo

The Head Music one was cheating a bit, with the inclusion of "Crackhead"... it couldn't have been on the album, because it was recorded after the album sessions specifically as a b-side.

Baron Garin likes this.
  4. I always found Popstar a better fit than Crackhead in my opinion.

5. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Way, way too down-tempo. It benefits from "Simon" but suffers for lacking "One Hit To The Body" or "You Belong To Me."

6. And which of the two is the more beloved?

7. DrBeatle

DrBeatle The Rock and Roll Chemist Thread Starter

I guess pouting at the keyboards with a ciggie hanging off your lip mattered more to fans and the press than stage presence or talent? :shrug:

:laugh: Good question. I guess what it goes to show is that nothing short of a miracle was gonna save that album!

8. Honestly the Brett redo setlist isnt that bad. Tye album isnt great but definitely doesnt deserve the scorn it gets in my opinion. Simon is a great song in its own right.

DrBeatle likes this.
  9. DrBeatle

I agree that it's not as bad as everyone says, BUT they recorded and re-recorded it so many times, and clearly lost their enthusiasm for it along the way that they became bored and man, does it come across loud and clear in most of the songs. "Simon" is a gem, though...should've been on the album, no question.

CheshireCat likes this.
  10. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Selected songs from "A New Morning" and "Everyday Robots" might go supremely well together on a mixtape;);)

Baron Garin likes this.
  11. DrBeatle

Ah, not even close, Everyday Robots is far superior, even with the lousy production.
    I think Suede was wise to go away after ANM...and right to come back a decade later. It was embarrassing way to end a career if it had been the last.

12. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I put on A New Morning this weekend and only made it up through "Lost In TV." So far, pretty terrible. Even "Lost In TV," which is one of the best songs, sounds uninspired. I don't like the production on this record at all. I'll stick with it and will try listening to the rest this evening. Also, I don't think I've ever heard "Simon." Guess I need to look for it.

Dr. Beatle: Definitely agree that it was the right thing for them to take a break after this album.

DrBeatle likes this.
  13. DrBeatle

Yep, although they did put out the Singles album (we'll move on to that soon) with a few new tracks and that horrid re-recorded vocal on "Trash." I think that was the final nail for me and lots of other fans.

14. Neonbeam

Haha....just a silly idea since both sound like "indie adult contemporary".

DrBeatle likes this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Never heard about this; do we know why they redid the vocal?

16. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

I just listened to the Singles version of "Trash." Shows you how checked out I was by the time they released it, as I didn't notice the update. I must have only listened to "Love The Way You Love," which I thought was awful.

But this vocal is worse. And utterly pointless. Brett was cleaned up by then so, alas, we can't blame the pharmaceuticals. :shrug:

CheshireCat and DrBeatle like this.
  17. DrBeatle

No idea, but I remember the very first time I heard it right after I bought the Singles album the day it came out, and I was like "something doesn't sound quite right..."

Yeah, it's pretty bad isn't it?

DTK likes this.
  18. Django

Django Forum Resident

The vocals or some of the vocals on CU are vari speeded, If I remember from the interview DVD on the deluxe CU brett said he regretted the decision.

CheshireCat and DTK like this.
  19. DrBeatle

They definitely were, but for Singles he re-recorded "Trash" in his 2002-2003 voice...and it's painfully obvious! :hurl::hurlleft:

CheshireCat likes this.
  20. Django

Django Forum Resident

Last edited: Jun 21, 2016
    Neonbeam and DrBeatle like this.
  21. Neonbeam

By 2005 and The Tears his voice was fine again.

DrBeatle likes this.
  22. DrBeatle

Yup. So weird and I've never understood it. Why, after quitting drugs, did his voice get so CRAPPY in 2001-2003? Usually, it happens the other way around!

23. mr_spenalzo

Probably took a while to get it out of his system.

Even with an innocent little addiction like smoking, the effects are still felt a long time after quitting. After I gave up it was a few weeks later that I started coughing up some crap, and another year or two before I noticed/was able to convince myself my lungs got more resilient.

DrBeatle likes this.
  24. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Is there no chance Suede will ever tour the US again? I never got to see them. Such a bummer. I bet they could do a successful tour, easily. Maybe avoid the smallest markets, but it'd be a big deal in most major cities.

DrBeatle likes this.
  25. DrBeatle

I've wondered this for years. Apart from 1994 & 1997, the only US shows they've done here were Coachella in 2012. They hate playing here because they have to be billed as The London Suede.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.