Suggestions for people who love percussion? Pop, World, or Jazz?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by voicebug, Mar 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

No one has yet mentioned Paul Simon - The Rhythm of the Saints great Brazilian percussion and otherwise all over that album. I know you didn't mention Classical music (which is understandable as it is not widely recognised as 'percussive' music) but there is a piece by Aulis Sallinen - Symphony No. 2 Op. 29 (Symphonic Dialogue for Percussion Player and Orchestra). It's a great piece for percussion. There is a wonderful recording by the Mälmo Symphony Orchestra; Okko Kamu Conductor. I'm not sure if it's still in print, but it's on BIS(BIS-CD-511). This CD also has a recording of the Sallinen Symphony No. 6 and Sunrise Serenade; also two lovely pieces.

2. RDK

RDK Active Member

The Kodo Drummers of Japan.

You've never heard - or better yet, seen - drum music played like this before!

3. ATR

ATR Senior Member

If there's a stereotype of classical music as not having much music for percussion, it's a wrong one. There's no better place to start than Bartok's Sonata for two pianos and percussion or Music for Strings, Percussion, and Celesta. I highly recommend John Cage's Sonatas and Interludes for Prepared Piano, but if you don't think piano is really a percussion instrument try John Cage, Works for Percussion by Quator Helios on WERGO 6203-2. One of the first CD's I bought was BIS CD-232 The Kroumata Percussion Ensemble playing works of Cage, Cowell, Lundquist, and Taira. This is a nice sampler of contemporary classical percussion from an international group of composers. Like wise Skin Hits, Globe GLO 5066, by Percussion Group the Hague. Harry Partch, a true musical renegade, designed and constructed his own fanciful percussion instruments. His compositions are on various labels including CRI. I've always thought that Uncle Meat was practically and homage to Partch. And then there's FZ himself...

4. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

Try to look for anything Dick Schory on RCA label.
    Great 50's and 60's precussion music!

5. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

What he said. How could I forget Cage? :)

There are also Blur, Everyday, Turn, and Swirl, by the contemporary composer Todd Levin. Wagner meets Hi-Hop is the only way I can think of to describe this. These are available on a recording from Deutsche Grammophon (445 847-2) entitled: Todd Levin De Luxe.

6. Tom

Tom Senior Member

Try Talking Heads "Remain in Light". "Holy Ghost" by the Bar Kays
    Adam and the Ants - Thompson Twins- Tom Tom Club

Tom

7. ksmitty

ksmitty Senior Member

I Really Love Billy Cobham's Jazz Fusion Styles. His drumming and percussion Smokes on the "Spectrum" album. The Vinyl version beats the cd hands down though in my opinion.

8. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Available on DVD-A, by the way.

9. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Santana's Abraxas SACD has made the biggest percussive impact on me of all my discs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.