Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts of the Great Highway vinyl reissue out in February

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Amnesiac, Dec 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident Thread Starter

Amazon link
    Bull Moose link

Out February 16 via Rough Trade. I know this is a lot of people's favorite Mark Kozelek album, so it's great that it's finally getting a reissue!

waaguirr likes this.
  2. Guelah97

Guelah97 Forum Resident

Funny, I just picked up the Old Ramon reissue and spun it for the first time yesterday. While listening I was thinking I wish they'd reissue Ghosts, looking forward to this!

lemonade kid likes this.
  3. Young and Restless

Young and Restless Forum Resident

Very glad to hear this news, many thanks for sharing!
    Love this album, been searching for it forever on vinyl...
    Finally found a mint copy at a record show earlier this year, but it cost $150!!!!!
    Ill be picking this release of Ghosts up for sure!

4. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Just put in my pre order! So excited. Anyone know how limited this is?

5. jjjos

jjjos Forum Resident

"Carry Me Ohio" is one of my favorite songs by anyone, ever.

I'm going to have to get this. I have "Tiny Cities" on vinyl already.

6. heybulldog

heybulldog Well-Known Member

Pre ordered and really pumped to get this.
    Have so often almost dropped £150+ on this. Glad I held out!
    Would have been cool to see some signed ones coming out too.

7. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

ordered

fantastic LP

8. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing

Listening to "Carry Me To Ohio" took me to the amazing Jason Molina's Songs: Ohia...they both set the mood so beautifully...I digress.
    Ordering the reissue from Bull Moose!

correctodad likes this.
  9. autumn daze

autumn daze I really don't belong here

This and April are wonderful albums. Carry Me Ohio is the classic (modern) rock song that so few people have heard.

lemonade kid likes this.
  10. Tokyo Ghost

Tokyo Ghost Senior Member

There are some great songs on this album.

lemonade kid likes this.
  11. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

Unfortunately not available on Spotify so have been streaming this album on Youtube. So great and pretty excited about the re-issue.

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. GrapplesInStereo

GrapplesInStereo Active Member

My copy shipped yesterday with an estimated arrival of February 12. Just wanted to give everybody a heads up that they should all begin arriving soon. I ordered mine direct from Rough Trade the moment I saw this up for preorder, that was probably within 24 hours of the preorder link going live.

lemonade kid and Defrance like this.
  13. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

My copy has also shipped. Anyone received theirs yet ?

14. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Just had a look at Discogs and they have two individual entries for this reissue. Each release is stated to be U.K. but they have different matrix numbers. One of them seems to have been pressed at GZ Vinyl so I would steer well clear of that edition, based on past experience. Is it possible that there are two different pressings available, both via Rough Trade U.K., pressed at different plants? I would buy this in a heart beat but I don’t want the Czech vinyl.

15. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Well i picked up mine from my local shop here in the UK yesterday and all 4 sides were flat with no marks nor any surface noise whatsoever, so even if GZ pressed this, they did a great job here. Sounded nice on vinyl.

Satrus, lemonade kid and Crazyhorse11 like this.
  16. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

I definitely don't have a GZ matrix on my copy but just one look at the two records was enough to make me want to send them back. Both were covered in fingerprints and dust like used copies. Plus light scratches.

These are definitely going back. They really are looking criminal. Definitely like GZ pressings from a couple of years ago. No idea how any self respecting pressing plant or record label can send out stuff like that, it's an embarrassment. I mean... why do this on vinyl at all if you are going to mess it up?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Marko K likes this.
  17. Neonbeam

Btw: Since the copy above doesn't actually have the GZ matrix, I'm not implying that they actually did press this. But it sure looks like what their pressings for smaller artists looked like a couple of years ago.

But: According to Discogs some copies do have a GZ matrix. And the run can't have been excessive. There's no way they pressed 500 000 copies of a Sun Kil Moon album. So it probably wouldn't make sense to split the manufacturing process between two pressing plants.

Any. Way. Glad I ordered this online because either the retailer will be able to send me two pristine records or I'm going to skip this edition. Since this comes in pvc sleeve it isn't sealed. One can check the condition of each and every copy without breaking any seals.:righton:

18. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Wow what a mess. Horrible. Just finished spinning my copy and I guess I got lucky too. Flat, clean and a great quality set for 22 Euro.

Satrus and Neonbeam like this.
  19. misterclean

misterclean Forum Resident

Any deadwax info?

20. Neonbeam

On the road at the moment but the Discogs entry seems pretty accurate!

21. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Thanks for posting! Your post 'inspired' me to go to my local record store tonight and I picked it up along with the Jackson Browne 'Late For the Sky' reissue. As Neonbeam pointed out in his post it was possible to remove the record (still in its inner sleeve) and to fold it back gently to see the record surface. Like yours, my copy is as clean as you could get so I bought it without hesitation. I think the 'spindle holes' look like Optimal 'spindle holes' because they are very clean and the quality of the pressing so far (I've only played Record One) is very high, like Optimal can do on a very good day. This is the copy that I got Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts Of The Great Highway . I don't think this is GZ Vinyl but I could be wrong? It is strange that there would be two different new pressings available, given that this album would be of limited interest?

22. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I saw your post after I returned from the record store this evening. Yech, that is just awful .. the kind of thing that gives me a near panic attack when buying vinyl whose provenance is unknown ... or from the Czech Republic.

This is the copy I got tonight Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts Of The Great Highway , which interestingly is not the pressing that is attributed to GZ Vinyl on Discogs. And yes, as you point out it is possible to have a look at these records before you hand over your money. When I saw the quality of the record surface at the store tonight, it was a no brainer because it is superb. My dealer, www.musiczone.ie, here in Ireland has PIAS on the description of the record on his website and I know from experience that PIAS only uses good pressing plants. I have just played Record 1 and it is a super high quality, clean pressing. As I said in response to GOHILL, I think my copy and maybe his also, is an Optimal pressing. Your copy has all the hallmarks of a certain pressing plant, for sure. Anyway, the good news is that there are very good pressings of this one out there so it is worth the effort to find one. Best of luck with that!

Neonbeam likes this.
  23. lemonade kid

Got mine today double LP on Rough Trade...perfection in a sealed plastic protective cover. Perfectly clean and shiny vinyl with a vinyl only acoustic bonus track: "Gentle Moon" (Acoustic).

And the audio is amazing...not a pop or tick. Perfection.

Some nice pics (not my TT, just some google pics).

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

24. lemonade kid

Man, are you guys over the pond getting crap vinyl pressed over there?

:realmad:

Should be illegal!

25. lemonade kid

Spinning it now. OMG! Wonderful.

funknik likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.