super bright glowing tubes WY3P

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by inperson, Jun 13, 2008.

1. inperson

inperson Forum Resident

I just got this preamp and it has tubes that I am not familiar with. One tube is a WY3P another is a WY4P and the other strange one is a 5Z4P. Are there tubes that can be switched with any of these? Does "P" designate that is a Chinese tube? Makes sense due to the fact it is Chinese. But the interesting thing is the WY3P tube is like a night light. It glows so bright.

I was wondering what are the brightest glowing tubes (in normal operation) out there?

Attached Files:

2. KT88

KT88 Forum Resident

I had a pair of 165w triode monoblocks which used the 811A output tubes. Those things were like 25w light bulbs!
  3. P2CH

P2CH Active Member

The two front tubes look like 6SN7's to me. The rears look like radio (RF) tubes with the cylinder type plate assembly. Though I know they're not. The center looks like a 5Y4 rectifier tube.

Maybe check with the RCA tube substitution book. I think you can find it on-line.
  4. The WY3P is the Chinese equivalent of the OC3 regulator tube. The WY4P is the Chinese equivalent of the OD3 tube. The 5Z4P is also a Chinese tube(yes, the "P" is the indicator) that you can substitute a 5Z4G tube with.
  5. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

Petaluma, CA
    As said above, the rear outside tubes are gas cold-cathode VR tubes- they will glow rather brightly (from the gas inside being ionized, very much like a neon bulb) and in different colors depending on the gas used in manufacture.

The VR tubes make nifty night-lights too :)

6. That's pretty damn cool...
  7. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan Forum Resident

Denver, CO, USA
    Really damn cool! I bet a lot of HiFi Bugs would love to have one of those!
  8. inperson

inperson Forum Resident

The rear left tube is the WY3P, the center is a 5Z4P, the rear right tube is a WY4P and the two front tubes are 6H8C/6SN7's.