Super Nintendo games

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thanks. So I would need a Game Boy (or Game Boy Advance) and then a GB version of Mario Kart, which has Super Mario Brothers 3. Is that right? And am I playing on the Game Boy, or on my TV using the regular Game Cube controller? It's too bad there wasn't just a GC disc that had a lot of the past games with a save feature incorporated, so you could save to the memory cards for the GC.

2. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

No Game Boy Advance handheld needed, just two things. (1)the "Game Boy Player" which is an accessory that snaps into the bottom of the GameCube, and (2) the Game Boy Advance cartridge of "Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3". You would be playing through the TV using your GameCube controller.

3. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

Some of favorites from way back were: Uniracers, Zombies ate my Neighbors, Maximum Carnage, Killer Instinct, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Star Fox, and Super Castlevania IV.

4. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

:righton:
    They put it out on the DS last year I've been playing the crap out of it!! I've been trying to do all the side quests and everything, and have just now made it into the Black Omen! Whee!

Yeah, I love this game. It rocks. HARD.

5. Inertiatic-Wrist

Inertiatic-Wrist Forum Resident

Word of caution about the GBA version of Mario 3. While the graphics are a bit souped up, there is the drawback of all of the unecessarily added voices. Every time a player gets an item or something Mario or Luigi talks. It's so annoying that I would sometimes turn the volume OFF just so I could play...

6. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Donkey Kong country I, II and III were my all time favorites. Great story, great music and honest to god thrilling game play!...so much fun!

7. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

Was always more of a Genesis fan myself, but really it's impossible to pick a "better" system out of the two. As console wars went, the SNES and Genesis were probably about as evenly matched in terms of great games available for both that we'll ever see.

The non-retail pack-in version of "Super Mario All-Stars" (the one that included SMW also) is utterly essential. I always wished more companies who felt the need to "update" classic games would have followed the All-Stars template of just sprucing up the graphics/sound and leaving everything else alone.

8. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

Maybe my favorite thing ever. Still have my system. Currently playing Final Fantasy 3 (aka VI.)

9. Senn20

Senn20 Forum Resident

I also tried using some of the Playstation emulation software for the PC, which runs the game straight off of the disc. The results were not promising. Audio choppy and out of sync, stuttering graphics. It's very difficult to get software designed for 1995 hardware to run on a 2009 computer!

10. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

You can also buy versions of the old NES etc. games online through your Wii. I've downloaded several games (original Super Mario, Ms. Pac-Man, etc.). They don't have a Save feature (at least, not that I've found), but they're fun. They're usually only $5-$10 to download. It also helps to have a legacy controller adapter that attaches to the nunchuk jack on the Wii remote.

Doug

11. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Let's not forget Final Fight 1,2, & 3 and "Street Fighter II" !!

12. Baba Oh Really

Contra 3: The Alien Wars was described by EGM as "the first real reason to buy a Super Nintendo".

Great times those were, indeed!

13. Baba Oh Really

That's because the Sega Genesis had "blast processing".

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

hehe...

15. Baba Oh Really

The Genesis was the faster machine.

The Super Nintendo had more colors, and it also had hardware scaling and rotation built in.

Each systems games has a DISTINCTIVE look. Both are magnificent, and as you said, at the end of the day, evenly matched.

smokeverbs likes this.
  16. Baba Oh Really

;):agree::laugh:

17. Spirit Crusher

Spirit Crusher Forum Resident

From what I remember the SNES had more colors and more pixels and thus had sharper graphics than the Genesis, but compare SNES Double Dragon and Streets of Rage 2 or 3. Super Double Dragon is like playing in slo-mo as much as I like it.

18. lugnut2099

lugnut2099 Forum Resident

The Playstation version of Chrono Trigger was essentially just the SNES version with some extra FMV sequences tossed in. As far as that game goes, you'd be better off just playing the SNES original, and the SNES emulators are much better and less fussy.

(I haven't messed with the PSX emulators myself, though I hear they _can_ work well, provided you spend enough time messing with various plug-ins and toying with options.)

19. Destroyer

Destroyer Forum Resident

That's right - I totally forgot about All-Stars! Now THAT was the way to package a game. Talk about value.

20. Wrightfan

Wrightfan Forum Resident

But did it have "Mode 7?"

Didn't think so :D

smokeverbs likes this.
  21. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

you can save any nes snes, genesis, game on the wii virtual console simply by pressing the home button... its a shame not more people know this... perfect for long games.
    it doesnt work for n64 games though.

22. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

SDD is still better than any SoR game though. :thumbsup:

I think the speed issue is overstated. I don't recall ever thinking about how slow Final Fight was. :confused: For nearly every cross platform game, I preferred the Super Nintendo version.

I like the Streets of Rage games but they are a tad on the generic side.

23. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Ahh...thanks for the tip.
    Doug

24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I have loads of SNES games, all in boxes with all inserts & in mint condition, and a console, for sale. PM me with wants, if anyone is interested (also have NES, N64, Virtual Boy, Atari VCS, 5200 & 7800 stuff). Also have Atari Video Pinball (their game BEFORE the VCS) still boxed.

25. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

No mention of Earthbound? That game is loaded with classic rock/Beatles references. Unfortunately, it's probably the most expensive SNES game, even used. Stays around the 3 digit point. The Japanese version is usually under ten dollars, but since it's an RPG, it's not as fun when you can't understand it. If anyone is interested in fun Japanese only games, check out this site:
    http://www.rvgfanatic.com/6501/index.html
    It's easy to play Japanese games on the SNES, just tear off the tabs in the cartridge slot. Now if only it was easier/cheaper to play my Super Nintendo in RGB...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.