Surrealistic Pillow vs. After Bathing at Baxter's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Pillow would go best on the proverbial desert island. But Baxters is more innovative and I love it too. So it's pillow by a nose.

2. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

I'll give "Rejoyce" a re-listen.

brucifer likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

We all hear things differently. "She Has Funny Cars" has a lot to say musically IMO. The first verse has a cool descending E Mixolydian line that similarly Bowie would use in Width of a Circle. The pre chorus has a weird R and B vibe to it and an amazing countermelody by Grace Slick. She eventually lines up with Marty. The chorus is simple but effective IMO with heavy rock chords. Lots going on musically all within less than two minutes. YMMV.

billnunan and limoges like this.
  4. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

That's the problem! :disgust:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  5. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Of course the superior version of Somebody to Love is this.

mark renard likes this.
  6. Spiritual Architect

Spiritual Architect Well-Known Member

And the truth is finally out, Jim Carrey was the Walrus!

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. This Cohen Brothers film (a personal fave) has about four Jefferson Airplane songs from Pillow in it. A great opening . Might have to be Jewish to get all the humor but after seeing it about 6 times, It cracks me up every time

Sounds like the live bass intro version from Pointed Little Head was edited onto the the studio version?

8. And don't watch this if you don't want to see a spoiler from the same film....

9. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

No that's an entirely different intro grafted on - probably from the film's composer?

10. Really? It sounds like Jack though. Don't you think?

11. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Nope

12. OK then.

billnunan and chacha like this.
  13. brucifer

brucifer Well-Known Member

Surrealistic Pillow, but just barely. It's their best two LP's in my opinion.

14. For me in SF during those days I would select Cheap Thrills,Pillow, the first Quicksilver and Steve Millers Children of the Future or Sailor, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty just above it. I didn't love Baxters until many years later. When it cam out I first thought it was a mess. But I enjoy it today.

chacha likes this.
  15. I even like Crown of Creation more than Baxters... But yes Baxters is fun and adventurous.

16. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

17. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Surrealistic Pillow is the quintessential Airplane album.

It's like Baxter's took aspects from the previous album and took those to extremes, but the songwriting isn't as tight and crafted.

18. brucifer

brucifer Well-Known Member

Marty wrote or co-wrote five songs on Pillow, and then only one on Baxter's. I guess that period was a little too freaky for him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.