DCC Archive Surrealistic Pillow?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Unknown, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown

Unknown Guest Thread Starter

Anyone excited about the upcoming remaster of this classic? Any chance it was done with some thought and care?

2. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Carl,

That's great news. I never managed to hear a good version of this on vinyl, and I haven't bothered to get a CD as I thought it would be worse. But a remaster does sound exciting.

Maybe I'll be able to figure out the words in the line in White Rabbit "when the logic, and proportion, have fallen ...."

Regards,
    Metralla

3. Unknown

I thought it was already out.

I'm assuming it's the same thing in the "Ignition" box set.

IFF the mono part is an improvement on the gold CD, I'll get it. We all know the mono master is gone, so I guess it's a matter of what kind of source they can use. Or maybe it's sourced from vinyl.

4. Mart

Mart New Member

I already own the old RCA "Surrealistic Pillow" gold CD & "Worst of Jefferson Airplane" (bootleg) DTS CD. Is Steve Hoffmann doing the new version? How many chanels? [​IMG]

5. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

>>> "How many channels?" <<< :eek:

The new version is out separately from the new box set, but it's bound to be the same one included in it. This version also contains both the mono & stereo versions (i.e., like the gold disc), if that's what you mean by "channels." The new version "claims" to be newly remastered and it does mention different people involved in the production of the release than those involved in the earlier gold disc collector's edition. However, until I've read a difinitive comparison or two I'll presume that it's probably not too different than the gold version we're both familiar with (i.e., I acquired mine about 6 months ago for around $25 through a fortunate eBay bid). :D

I hope that someone who has access to both versions makes a comparison and posts their opinion so fans can determine whether or not their gold disc is still the best available. I'm tempted, but I'd prefer spending the $15 on something I don't already have!

Cheers,
    Robert (aka AuPh)

[ November 10, 2001: Message edited by: Robert Cat Conrad ]

6. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Actually, I was just looking at this SP disc at the store, and unless memory fails me I'm pretty sure the same people credited on the gold disc are also credited with the "new" version: Paul Williams- Reissue Supervision, Bill Lacey- Audio restoration, Eddie Tallia and Mike Hartry- digital transfers, mono and stereo respectively. That would lead me to suspect this version is the same mastering job as the gold one.

7. feinstein

feinstein Member

I really hate to be a drag, but this new mastering is EXACTLY the same one as the gold CD mastering. I have both (I bought the new one as part of the box set released a couple of months ago). The packaging reveals that the same personel handled the mastering tasks on both versions, and an A/B comparison reveals that they both sound exactly the same. Frankly, I prefer the original mono LP to either mastering on the CD. If anyone wants to buy my gold CD version of Surrealistic Pillow, please E-mail me.

Fred

8. Larry Naramore

Larry Naramore Bonafied Knucklehead

Does anyone have a "Mint" mono LP that they could CDR and offer to us good folks on the DCC Forum? :)

9. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

You are correct; when I saw the new re-release in the record shop I only glanced at it on my way to the used CD bin. Later on I checked the production notes on one of the CD vender sites and compared it with my gold CD and realized that the restoration & "mastering" were attributed to the same two people.

Thanks for the heads up!

10. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

Well, I've got two kinda trashed copies . . . .

11. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

BTW, speaking of Pillow...wasn't there an earlier UK reissue a while back, that had an alternate tracklisting? Entire album in stereo + bonuses, or something?

-D

12. Unknown

Yeah, I have the import version. It has the stereo tracklist, plus some bonus tracks. In fact, most of the early Jefferson Airplane catalog has been reissued in Europe with bonus tracks. No real surprises though -- I'm pretty sure all the bonus tracks appear on the Jefferson Airplane Loves You box set. Still, it's great having those quad mixes as bonus tracks on the Volunteers CD. I haven't made any attempt to compare the mastering on these discs against the domestic reissues. Personally, I don't think anything will top the MFSL Volunteers CD.

13. Larry Naramore

I gotta trashed one too. Between the three they might make a pretty good fire. Found mine in the trash and saved it for the cover.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: Larry Naramore ]

14. Unknown

I have a VG+ish LP.

Didn't the UK LP have a different tracklisting? Does the import CD follow that?

15. Larry Naramore

Does it have any noise besides clicks and pops. I've spent hours cleaning up songs removing them manually.

16. Unknown

I've only played it once, and not all the way through. It doesn't play NM by any means. I would try it now, but I'm waiting on some new bearing oil.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.