Surround Processors

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thedudeabidz, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file Thread Starter

Hi. I have been a two-channel-only guy for most of my audiophile life. I've gotten by for years without a surround processor, but I can't stand how DVD's mixed for 5.1 with no stereo option sound through my NAD 320BEE. dialogue is always low and the explosions are always loud, so I'm constantly turning the volume up and down.

So my questions:

Are there surround processors out there that I could just add to my two-channel integrated amp for the times where I want surround sound for the pesky 5.1 audio only DVD's?

Is there a setting on my Oppo BDP-105D that will get around this problem?

Or do I have to just face the fact that I need to buy a whole new amp? If this is the case, are there any reasonably priced (under 1,000 USD) amps on the market that will provide me with audiophile quality two-channel AND surround?

I understand that I'd have to get the extra speakers for the surround, but I have a lead on those already.

Thank you in advance and sorry if this thread is a repeat.

Joe

2. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

You'll need an additional amp to power the extra channels for surround and center, so for simplicity, you may just want to replace the amp you currently use. However, if you want to continue to use your current amp for 2 channel sources, you need to make sure whatever surround sound solution you use has pre-outs that can be fed into one of the inputs on your existing amp. Then, for surround sources, you just set your current amp to some fixed volume level and adjust the volume of the surround sources with the surround processor. If you like NAD, you you could accomplish this with a T 748, for example.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  3. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I did exactly what atbolding is referring to. I got a surround preamp processor (mine is 7.1, but you can get a 5.1 for less money) and a five channel amplifier. My great sounding two channel amp is connected to the front channel pre-outs of the stereo music amp, and the surround and center channel pre-outs go to the five channel amp. It works great. You just need to balance the volume for the various channels, but most surround pre-pros have a menu that lets you adjust the volume of each channel seperately, but you will need to have a conistent setting on the two channel amp that you use whenever the surround is being used.

Also, the Oppo has a Dynamic Range Control that you can turn on in the Audio Processing setup menu to compress the differences between the low level and loud sounds.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  4. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Yes, atbolding's suggestion is a proper solution.

But...

To this specific concern, you might not find relief. For decades, it's been commented upon; the movie mixes done for home video routinely exhibit these characteristics. Changing gear won't necessarily make it all go away. (Yes, first check Oppo's Dynamic Range thing.)

I'd just replace the integrated with a mid-level AVR, hook up via the multichannel analog connex, and let the Oppo do the work. I personally think most credible current AVRs (Marantz, Onkyo, Yamaha) would stand up well against the NAD, but it's an arguable point depending on your own personal listening involvement, esp stereo.

thedudeabidz likes this.
  5. thedudeabidz

Thanks for the replies, folks.

atbolding, thanks for the suggestion, and Raylinds, thanks for sharing your experience with that setup. Sounds as complicated as I thought it might.

gd0, thanks for pointing out that it's a known issue. I just thought it was my system. My blu-ray of They Live has an audio selection for stereo, and it just sounds amazing. I wish more DVD's had that stereo option.

I will definitely try fiddling with my Oppo's Dynamic Range Thing before proceeding any further.

I'll have to look for a thread about good AVR amps. I notice most of them have built in media hubs though, and I don't need that having the Oppo.

6. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

how is your Oppo connected to your amp? Are you using the dedicated stereo analogue outs and which type,of mix down is in your set up?

7. thedudeabidz

My Oppo is connected to my NAD 320BEE amp through the dedicated stereo analog outupts on the Oppo to the CD input on the amp. Where do I select my mix down settings on the Oppo?

8. Robert van Diggele

Robert van Diggele Forum Resident

To select the mixdown you go to Setup/Audio Processing/Speaker Configuration/Downmix and set this to Stereo. I am not sure if the speaker configuration is a solution, otherwise you might want to try this. Setup/Audio Processing/Stereo Signal. Understanding your problem, I expect this to be on Front Left/Right. Changing this to Downmix stereo will spread the center channel info to the fronts.

It might seem a bit strange but setting the dedicated analog out sto Front Left/Right means FL and FR from a 5.1 mix are routed to the analog outs. Center and SR and SL will be missing in your soundfield.

Hopefully experimenting with your aet up will result in a good sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.