SVS 16-Ultra Series - new line of subwoofers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Digital-G, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member Thread Starter

black sheriff likes this.
  2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Man the ultra looks like a beast. I love bad a$$ subs. And the integration with phone tech is cool.. Elac is doing that also,,very smart.

3. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Should be extremely good....trying to decide now if I want to order an SB for a demo unit here.

4. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

On October 29 my local dealer in NH is having their annual fall audio event. One of the reps is from SVS. Hope their going to have one of the new subs.

Manimal likes this.
  5. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Like a Boss 429..sexy:)

6. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I just placed an order for the SB-2000. I've been on the fence for a new sub for a while, and since I just bought a new pair of Heresy 3 speakers, I was feeling pushed even more.

My current sub is a Definitive PF-15 and it has to be 20 years old or more. I was thinking of replacing the driver in it but after giving it more thought, I figured it's better to just replace the entire unit with something more modern. And every review for the SVS sub was a 5 star rating.

The Definitive sub seems like it's either kicking butt or it's not there. It has a mid bump too. Looking forward to hearing the difference the SVS has to offer.

mds likes this.
  7. GoldprintAudio

Great choice on the SB2000!! I keep a pair here that I use from time to time in my demo setups. They are crazy good for the amount of money you pay.

basie-fan likes this.
  8. bru87tr

bru87tr 80’s rule

What dealer, I would check that out.

9. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Sick sub dude !!!!!!!!!!!:edthumbs::edthumbs::edthumbs:

10. mds

mds Forum Resident

Nice choice. :edthumbs: I also have the sealed box SVS 2000. I am using two and they integrate very nicely, very happy. I started off with one and when I had the cash saved I bought one of the used units that had a slight dent in the rear metal plate. When it arrived I checked it thoroughly, and I couldn't perceive any dent, looked perfect to my eye and played just as perfectly as the other, very happy with that purchase.

I also received the email concerning the new subs which look killer but way above my price range. I would love to hear from anyone who pulls the trigger and has first hand experience with them.

The Pinhead likes this.
  11. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

I run a pair of those. I love them, and so will you. They have their limits, but it's easy to stay on this side of the line. SVS customer service is superb if you have a problem.

basie-fan and The Pinhead like this.
  12. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

What ever happened to a SVS subwoofer other than a black finish? I still have the PB-12 Ultra in a cherry finish. That sub is a beast and beautiful furniture as well. It's a letdown with black only.

The Pinhead likes this.
  13. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

It's good to know the SB 2000 sub gets high praise. Purchasing another sub-woofer wasn't something I really wanted to do. I'm thinking that a sub's size might need to be considered when matching to the main speakers. The 15" Definitive I currently have works nice with my Altec 19's, but with the Heresy's all I really hear from it is deep low bass and muddled boom. The Altec's cover the low end well by themselves so a big deep bass sub works alright. The Heresy's have nothing from 80 Hz and down so it seems I'm missing a lot of musical information. Something the Definitive doesn't seem to capture well.

I'm hoping a quality 12" sub will be more active with the Heresy's and fill in the empty gaps. More on par with overall woofer size too.

14. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member Thread Starter

I got a PB-12 with the Rosewood (or is it called Rosenut?) finish and love it. When I got mine they had announced they were going to phase out the different finishes and simplify by only offering black (piano finish and woodgrain finish). I didn't want another big black subwoofer, so that news prompted me to buy while I could get a finish that would match my main (B&W) speakers.

I love my subwoofer and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one (especially these new models) but it is a shame they don't offer the finishes they used to.

15. mds

mds Forum Resident

I'm using the SVS SP2000, with great results, however it is extremely important to have the phase adjusted to work well with your main speakers. If its off you get a very conjested / muddy sound. When the phase is set correctly, wow, the difference is very noticable with clean bass and lots of air around all the instruments and vocals. Unfortunately the phase must be adjusted manually which means having to have someone turn the dial while you listen or jumping up and down a lot to make the adjustments.

16. mds

mds Forum Resident

The post above concerns the sealed box, no port SB-2000 not "SP" as I wrote, typo.

P2CH likes this.
  17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

That is indeed true. I had a hump and adjusted phase to get rid of it.

18. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Man, that's gotta move some air.

19. Threshold

Threshold Well-Known Member

Audio Video Therapy in Nashua. Oct. 27th from 6-9:30.

20. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident

I replaced a Martin Logan Grotto with an $800 SVS sub and oh my... it just kicked that poor ML to pieces.

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

looks like a high value competitor to the JL Audio fathom line. If it sounds anything like them, you will be very happy indeed.

22. mongo

mongo Senior Member

JL Audio Subs are ridiculously over-priced as are many\most "established" companys subwoofers.

Subwoofers are one area where DIY or Internet Direct companies equal or surpass these products for far less money.

23. GoldprintAudio

JL subs are nice, but as mentioned, certainly not inexpensive.

A lot of people don't realize this, but SVS is actually no longer strictly internet direct. They have a few dealers located across the US (I'm one of them actually).

24. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I got the SB 2000 yesterday. I swapped it out with the Def PF15 and proceeded to get it set up.

It gives me the tighter bass response I was hoping for. When called upon, it does go low with authority. My mains were set at 60Hz, then I tried 80Hz and the sub wanted to howl more easily. This is while running the TT which sits 20 feet across the room from the sub. The sub sits behind my couch at the rear wall and the couch is about 6 feet forward from that. The room is approx. 13' X 20'. The room is set-up lengthwise.

I then set the mains for 50Hz and dialed the sub volume down. The Heresy's just seem to sound much better giving them lower frequencies. They have punch and they fit better into the audio mix. The volume of the sub is just at the point where it's there but without intrusion.

I can't say for sure if the SB 2000 was a major value add at this point. After I dialed the Def sub down previously, it sounded pretty good too. The SVS isn't flabby sounding like the Def was though. I'm sure there's a positive side to the update (upgrade) due the Def was about 20 years old with outdated technology.

I don't know, maybe that's why I'm hearing the Heresy's a lot differently now? I think a 12" sub fits better with mains that have 12" woofers? The 15" Definitive fits better with the Altec's which have 15" woofers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.