Sweet - Any Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream #9

Dream #9 Well-Known Member

Their best IMO, well it's my favourite anyway.

2. Dream #9

It has been said that lead singer Brian Connolly was the half brother of the actor Mark McManus famous for his role in the Scottish detective series Taggart. Don't know if it's true. Brian Connolly was born in my home town Glasgow something I didn't know until recently. Bit of useless trivia for you :)

3. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

Not true.

4. Dream #9

:righton:

5. Dream #9

From two different (online) sources Makes no difference to me whether they were related or not. Good band. Good front man.

"The truth is that Brian Connolly was raised by Mark McManus's uncle and aunt, Jim and Helen."

"His half brother was none other than Brian Connolly lead singer of the group The Sweet."

6. TwentySmallCigars

TwentySmallCigars Forum Resident

He was born a Connolly. He was raised by the McManus family. He has no McManus blood in him at all. He is not Mark McManus' half brother.

7. Dream #9

I only put what I read. Wish i hadn't bloody bothered now. Thanks for putting me right. I'll be able to get a good sleep tonight knowing they're NOT related.

8. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

Has anyone put the poster in the new boxset up on their bedroom wall yet? :yikes: :doh:

[​IMG]

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

My grandma did.

10. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Oh Heavens no!!!

englishbob likes this.
  11. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I love "Love Is Like Oxygen", especially the album version.
    That song is forty years old this coming January. Wow!

12. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I remember this getting a bit of airplay on BBC Radio 1 back in 1974:

[​IMG]
    The Sweet connection was that Angel were managed and produced by Mick Tucker and Andy Scott

Weirwolfe likes this.
  13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

:laugh: What were they thinking with that?

Clonesteak and englishbob like this.
  14. bellbrass

bellbrass Forum Resident

The Sweet were a kick-ass rock band disguised as a glam band. Love Is Like Oxygen is not only my favorite Sweet song; it's one of my favorite songs ever (full version only, of course).

They did a lot of great stuff, and were one of the best 70s groups around.

15. LILO is one of those "sublime sounding" rock songs to me.

CybrKhatru and Weirwolfe like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Wrong.
    Sweet were a hugely successful and fantastic glam rock band who tried and failed to be a hard rock band.
    They released loads of brilliant top 10 singles. They also released loads of studio albums, which between them spent one single week on the UK Album charts.

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

What is the source material for the vinyl box? I'm not crazy about the cramming of bonus tracks on each and every side of the vinyl. It breaks the flow too much for albums I have ingrained in my head.

18. jon9091

Wow...that's pretty shocking. I wonder why they had so little success on the album charts? They seemed to do ok in other countries...Germany for example.

Weirwolfe likes this.
  19. Snow2

Snow2 Forum Resident

Always happy to hear stuff like:

Ballroom Blitz
    Teenage Rampage
    The Six Teens
    Fox on the run
    Love is like Oxygen

bob60 and shadowlord like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I like a lot of The Sweet's rock records but much prefer them as the glam rock single a band. To me they are unconvincing as a rock band most of the time. They sound like they are trying too hard with sexist and macho crap lyrics, tracks like Somebody Else Will, Sweet FA and Yesterdays Rain spring to mind as having putrid lyrics that just sound pathetic now. "If she don't spread I'm gonna bust her head" indeed. You really would have to be a total arsehole think that, never mind sing it as a lyric and then release it for all to hear! The posing just looks stupid too. They could certainly play, had many great songs, but with crap like that, they were never going to be taken seriously.

The version of Somebody Else Will on Strung Up is very unsettling as you know it was recorded in 1973, at the height of their chart fame, with very young girls in the audience. It's just vile.

I just avoid listening to the crap stuff and enjoy Wig Wam Bam instead!

bob60 likes this.
  21. Johnny Rocker

Johnny Rocker Well-Known Member

Yeup I dig Sweet, Fox on the run. that song rocks.:cool:

22. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

Even with some really bad song lyrics ("If you don't go down on me, someone else will") their music is awesome!!!
    My wife was not a fan after hearing the chorus of Someone Else.
    My four year old asks to listen to Poppa Joe everyday this week. She does have a Grandpa called Popa Joe. Maybe she thinks the song is about her grandpa???

23. jon9091

That's the clean version!

Clonesteak and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

It is a shame about "Someone Else Will". The lyrics are sexist and nasty but the instrumental track on that is a keeper. I love that relentless, driving riff and the really nice guitar break. The lyrics on the single are bad enough but you're right, the live versions are even more vile. Shock value wears off very quickly. I never liked the live versions because they usually combined it with "Burning" since they couldn't reproduce both the heavy rhythm guitar riff and the lead guitar of "Someone..." live so very little of that song was actually played and it was almost all "Burning". (At least in the versions that I've ever heard)

Another similar example is "Cockroach"----ridiculous lyrics but kicking instrumental track. All in all, I like a lot of Sweet's hard rock tracks and the poppy singles as well.

25. jon9091

This is where they needed a good producer to step in and say...great track, but it's back to the drawing board on those lyrics. Maybe a good manager as well.

Man at C&A, Spitfire and Bob J like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.