Syd Barrett "A Psychedelic Descent Into Madness" 1/6/1946--7/7/2006

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Psychedelic Good Trip, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere Thread Starter

Born in Cambridge England in 1946 Syd was ready and at the right age for the psychedelic swinging London 1960's..

Syd was with Pink Floyd 1965-1968 a leader of early Floyd. His guitar work with the strange riffs echo chamber, dissonance, distortion influenced many rock musicians of the time ex. Paul McCartney, Pete Townsend and David Bowie, Jimmie Page, Marc Bolan to name a few.

Syd was also the topic of the floyds biggest hits post Syd...1970's

As Rick Wright stated...Syd was known to have disappeared while the floyd were doing a BBC session one weekend in spring 1968. He was found with a group of people who were known for their acid use. As well as acid spiked drinks....

Syd would comeback to floyd looking the same but totally burned out as if his mind had been esrased or elsewhere by a massive overdose of acid...

Syd would be a shell of himself and his decent into the unknown realms of the mind got worse...

A solo career began in 1969... it would cultimate on June 5th 1975 when he showed up unannounced at Floyds WYWH sessions..at Abbey Road studios.

Overweight and bald his former mates hadn't realized who it was when Water's and Gilmore did they began to cry, they couldn't bare to look at Syds decent into madness..as well his physical appearance as compared to a young and vibrant Syd 1967...

Barrett had many interests and hobbies after Floyd. Photography and trips to the Botanical Garden were among Syds interest in his later life. Syd would also take a train ride to downtown London to go to Art shows...

Rick Wright on Syd Barrett

Pink Floyd - The Story of Wish You Were Here 2012...: Pink Floyd - The Story of Wish You Were Here 2012 legendado PT-BR »

I always liked Barrett floyd and all his contributions to The Floyd. Love The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

2. rd1

rd1 Forum Resident

I stumbled across this blog about a year ago, it's a lengthy article but it has a different perspective on Syd's story from anything else I've read.

3. Psychedelic Good Trip

:cry::shake:Just bumping me Syd....

Miss me Syd....

Crimson Witch likes this.
  4. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I've listened to "Barrett" quite frequently lately and I don't think it's so mad. It's a great psychedelic pop album. I think "The Madcap Laughs" is a lot more 'out there' and it was recorded before "Barrett". There's so many artists out there trying to be mad and original. It's good to have Syd. :)

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

:whistle:
    Two great far out Barrett albums..

6. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I have a Barrett compilation which I greatly enjoy... soon I'll have to pick up the 2 complete albums.

First place I heard any Syd was on the Works compilation in the mid-80s - just Emily and Arnold Layne. Eventually I'd get round to hearing Piper and loving it from top to bottom. But first stop after Works was Saucerful of Secrets.

I love the early singles and Piper......but especially Saucerful. I get that Syd's not on the whole thing, and it's a transitional album, but it blew me away when I first heard it some 30 years ago.

7. Psychedelic Good Trip

Syd was incredible before the acid burn out spring 1968 the man was very creative very inspirational the man was ahead of his time..

8. CybrKhatru

So true..... I'm not sure why I didn't hear Piper right away... but when I got round to it, oh boy! :D

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

Crimson Witch and CybrKhatru like this.
  10. Psychedelic Good Trip

Could imagine if Syd had kept it together after Piper wow floyd would have been something you know even though they became something but I mean with Syd as an extra part with with Waters and Gilmore...super 1970's WOW!!

limoges, Crimson Witch and CybrKhatru like this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:

Syd Barrett Greatness...

Crimson Witch, dsky and CybrKhatru like this.
  12. CybrKhatru

I picked up the Mono/Stereo 2CD edition a few years back. I love both versions, and it's hard to pick a clear winner.

And the madness of "Apples And Oranges" :love:

Thus far my favorite solo Syd songs have been "Terrapin", "Late Night", "Here I Go", and"Octopus".

13. Psychedelic Good Trip

Love this tune

Crimson Witch and CybrKhatru like this.
  14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Yeah I think he was fantastic. There are enough 'normies' out there as it is.

15. Psychedelic Good Trip

16. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I wouldn't spend much energy arguing that Syd was/wasn't mad, but I prefer to frame his art as "beguiling."

There are some outstanding geniuses out there in the arts, but nothing else quite like him.
    If I was ever forced to pick a side, I'd put my chips on Barrett.

Excellent screen quotes in this video - heartbreaking really:

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Dude THANKS for the comments and video

Crimson Witch and asdf35 like this.
  18. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Been reading the book "An Irregular Head" lately, has anybody else read it? Mr. Good Trip?

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I only have "The Madcap Laughs" and have been thinking of getting "Barrett" soon.
    Apart from that, what are your opinions on "Opel"? I seem to remember that Gilmore said it was garbage when it appeared on the market.
    Apart from those albums, are there any other stray tracks apart from in the Crazy Diamond box set?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  20. Gil

Gil Well-Known Member

:love: So many gorgeous and tasteful pieces of music from him. Add the weirdness and it's a great combination. Truly an original.

Quite possibly the most enigmatic person in rock music. For me, obviously.

21. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Syd was mentally ill and he and his family and friends suffered by all accounts due to his illness. I'm sure that he would have preferred to be a 'normie.'

22. Psychedelic Good Trip

:goodie:A Syd bump...
    going to get to it eventually..

23. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

I think it's unfortunate that the "massive dose of acid" angle has gotten so much attention over the years. The guy was mentally ill BEFORE he took any acid. Maybe the acid made it worse, maybe it didn't. But I don't think he was ever going to be a functioning member of society.

24. Psychedelic Good Trip

AGREED the acid just accelerated the mental illness...IMHO

25. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

Big admirer of Syd's music. Desperately sad about what happened to him and for that matter for anyone with those kinds of problems.
    Surely it's time for the "all-things-Syd" audio and video Immersion box set with money going to the trust his family set up or similar.
    Let's hope there's more footage of Syd's Floyd out there just waiting to be discovered or digitised.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.