Symbol on mid-80s CBS Records releases... ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DJMurphy, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

That doesn't explain why it's on several Mariah Carey recordings.

Mariah Carey...Columbia CD-album CK 45202-2

Emotions...Columbia CD-album CK 47980-2

"Without You"...Columbia CD-single 38K 77358-2

I just called a friend of mine that worked for CBS/Sony from 1978 until just a few years ago. He moved to Carrollton just before the plant opened, and still lives in the area. I got his machine, so at this moment I have no definitive answer. If he doesn't return my call, I still keep in touch with several other long time CBS employees. But if it's Carrollton related, my first contact will know for certain.

2. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

:hide:

Attached Files:

3. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

I found a Japanese pressing of "The Best Of Kansas" today, and it has the circle/triangle symbol.

4. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It is on several (or do you mean all) Mariah Carey (CD Pressings) recordings?

I would think it explains everything, as all her pressings would have been made from digital masters, certainly not analog masters regardless of if the recordings were digital or not.

5. This 2 x 12" from '93 has the symbol but, once again, only on the A-Sides of the two records.

Attached Files:

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

All CDs were digital mastering, no way around that. It should be on all CDs from CBS from the period, they in fact used this marking.

And it should also be on all LPs that got the digital treatment, this includes older titles that came out on CD, and then became digital LPs.

Some LPs remained analog, and did not get the digital treatment, nor the logo. But the CD versions of course did get the mark.

elvissinatra likes this.
  7. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I don't think that they always put it on both sides of the record, but that record, once it has that dreaded logo (on any side) is as digital as the clock in my bedroom.

8. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I have this symbol on my Pink Floyd - Animals CD. I've seen it on other CD's and tapes that I have.

kailung likes this.
  9. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

It's not on all her CD-singles.

You completely misunderstood my point. I was giving examples that were not on CBS associated labels. Apparently you were using the term incorrectly without realizing. Perhaps you were trying to say. "all labels distributed by CBS". That's an entirely different thing. Columbia and Epic are not associated labels. They are owned by the company, and are handled differently than CBS associated labels, like T-Neck, Nemperor, ect.

10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Where are you going with this thread? And what part of digital markings on CBS product is confusing?

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Did you mean to say "That doesn't explain why it's not on several Mariah Carey recordings"?

I think you threw me off on this one.

12. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Previously I gave 3 examples of Mariah Carey CDs with the symbol. Here are some that don't have it:

Rainbow...CD-album CK 63800-2

"Heartbreaker"...CD-single 44K 79261-2

"I Still Believe"...CD-single 44K 79104-2

"Breakdown"...promo CD-single CSK 3996

"My All"...promo CD-maxi single CSK 4613

Again, my point is that the symbol is not a designation that only appears on CBS's associated labels, like you stated earlier. It also appears on some Columbia and Epic releases as well. This may seem trivial, but there are substantial differences in distribution, pricing, returns, ad money, ect for CBS's associated labels as opposed to Columbia and Epic.

13. Sean Keane

Sean Keane Pre-Mono record collector In Memoriam

It's a needle (stylus).

Mister Charlie and alainsane like this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There was a point where they stopped putting this mark on CDs. Are these all her later Columbia product, or on the early side?

Promos may not even be ones to consider.

15. boots

boots Chokma!

The circle is the CBS logo combined with the triangle which represents Tri Star.It was put together during a joint venture with Columbia,the triangle also represents music.

alainsane likes this.
  16. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

key words are actually 'were distributed by'. DefJam is a subsidiary of Universal now.

-Aaron

17. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

What represents HBO or Columbia Pictures (owned by Coca-Cola at the time TriStar was formed) in that mark then?

and since CBS bailed out of the TriStar partnership in 1984, and HBO in 1987, this doesn't make any sense.

I agree with W.B on this, it has to be the Carrolton pressing plant identifier, as practically all product carrying the logo (save for the aforementioned anomaly, which very well could have been a printing error) were manufactured there.

-Aaron

18. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

What I find odd is that it's on some but not all. I looked through a few of my albums and the mark is on the following:

SOS Band-Sands of Time
    Cherelle-High Priority
    Barbra Streisand-The Broadway Album
    Luther Vandross-Give Me The Reason
    Luther Vandross-Any Love
    Mission-s/t
    Mission-Search
    Grover Washington Jr-Time Out of Mind
    Grover Washington Jr-Then and Now
    Wynton Marsalis-The Black Codes
    Nancy Wilson-Keep You Satisfied
    Nancy Wilson-Nancy Now
    Kirk Whallum-s/t
    Paul Young-Between Two Fires
    Leata Galloway-The Naked Truth

All on side 1, the Mission s/t is a promo, the Barbra Streisand a first pressing, so that and Black Codes puts it back at 1985.

What this means? Don't know, but it's on a large amount of records.

19. boots

boots Chokma!

Just because they bailed doesn't mean they gave up rights .

20. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

You're still missing the point I originally made. It would only take one Columbia or Epic example with the symbol to disprove what you said in post #54. Several examples have been provided in this thread.

I didn't invent the term CBS associated labels. Geez every CBS associated label release, on all formats, has a different prefix from Columbia and Epic. I assumed you meant CBS associated labels when you used the term. It now appears you meant something else. That is the source of the misunderstanding.

Please, let's move on. If this is still not clear, contact me by PM.

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I asked if those M. Carey discs w/o the circle are on the later end of her tenture at CBS or Sony Music if you prefer.

22. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

Yes, I checked the dates. The early ones have the symbol, and the later ones do not. I have a bunch of unopened Mariah CD-singles and 12-inches, that might shed some more light, but I'm hesitant to pop the seals.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

That would be a Japanese JVC pressing. Somewhere around 1985, CBS/Sony had some U.S. titles pressed in Japan by JVC or Denon. This was done presumably because the U.S. DADC plant (CBS/Sony's only U.S. CD pressing plant at the time) could not meet demand early on. In any case, those Japanese JVC and Denon pressings have the triangle-in-circle symbol, like U.S. pressings. Japanese CBS/Sony pressings do not have this symbol. Some of the earliest U.S. DADC pressings lack this symbol as well.

rxcory likes this.
  24. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

My early pressings of "The Wall" and "Wish You Were Here" lack the symbol, but my 1994 Bruce Cockburn "Dart To The Heart" CD has it, very tiny.

25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

My CD copies of THE WALL and WISH YOU WERE HERE do not have that symbol either; do any CDs of these titles have that symbol?