Taboo - New show on BBC with Tom Hardy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Wild Frank, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

I agree as my dvr was counting down at the breaks it seemed that the breaks were getting more frequent towards the end of the episode, every 6 to 7 minutes.

The show grew on me as it went on and I agree will all Tom Hardy is really good.

vince likes this.
  2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I KNOW, right?
    That first 24 minutes, I was excited to see how long it went w/o commercial-breaks!
    Having sat through "The Strain" on FX, I expected those commercials to be annoyingly placed between, like, only 5 minutes of 'show'!

3. He's already had a recurring role on Peaky Blinders.

GodShifter likes this.
  4. Damn, I didn't watch it because I assumed they would sanitize it for tender American ears and eyes. I'll have to look for a repeat.

5. vince

I'm sure there's a way to watch it either 'On Demand' or on the FX web-site.

kevywevy likes this.
  6. Yeah, just checked, it's on the Canadian website so I'm good.

vince likes this.
  7. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Saw first and second episodes tonight, but I only hope it won't inspire the U.S. to want to take Vancouver Island which the show seems to have them maneuvered out of by the nefarious British east India Company. I figured out that the senior Delaney must have been part of Capt. George Vancouver's crew circa 1778 once they mentioned his Salish wife being bought in Nootka Sound. I hope this series doesn't get lost or fail to find an audience.

8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It is on HBO in Sweden :thumbsup:

9. vince

Nice to know, a person who knows the factual history of the show is on board with it!
    Noticing your location, you must be quite knowledgeable!

10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Excellent second episode last evening. I am enjoying this show a lot more than
    `Penny Dreadful', which I found to be nonsensical at times. Tom Hardy is my
    favourite actor now that Philip Seymour Hoffman has departed....

11. beccabear67

Actually I need to correct myself, it was Capt. James Cook's expedition with George Vancouver circa 1778 that charted Vancouver Island. Vancouver was in charge later in the 1790s. I may have overestimated Delaney the younger's age.

Nootka Crisis - Wikipedia »

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I thought the 2nd episode was better than the 1st. That said, it feels like it's simmering before it comes to a boil! Is there any actor working today that exudes menace as effortlessly as Hardy!? It almost seems like, regardless of the role, that he's always about to explode!

13. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I think there are many. I quite like Hardy and he has a great face but I find him incredibly wooden as an actor. He's missing a tiny glint of humour in what he does (which is always the gift of a truly great actor I feel).

alanb, xdawg and jriems like this.
  14. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

It's a dark affair so far, but it's a nicely filmed and intriguing series. I suspect that Tom Hardy just likes to hang around in 19th century clothes en environments, really. Some thing aren't very accurate; I don't think people let their candles burning in empty rooms and sometimes four or five at a time! But that's nitpicking. I hope for a bit more action/development in the next episode (tonight!).

15. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

LOL...of all the things the candle thing bugged me the most. Not just the expense but the safety aspect (considering the lack of a fire brigade and houses made from lots of wood). I think they would have one candle in a holder.

Yovra likes this.
  16. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

Maybe its just me but the dialog between Tom Hardy's character and the guy with the compass tattoo on his head are very hard to here, i think that i may have missed some important story elements in those scenes.

I think that the sets and costuming looks great i'm not sure how accurate it is but it is visually compelling.

I also thought that the same thing about the candles.

17. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

It's certainly very stylised. I'm not aware (from history lessons!) of England, or London in particular. being much like that but I do really like how they've done it.

18. vince

I think we BOTH are gonna need sub-titles!

19. beccabear67

I sometimes have problems on tv with naturalistic sound where whispers are whisper volume and explosions are almost explosion level. It might work in a theater but... anyway, I don't think I had any problems with this show. Older shows had sound that was clear and understandable, but maybe that seems phony to viewers today.

As for other peeves... I did notice a couple of 'camera flying all around' scenes in Taboo and generally am really really sick of them, usually to show off some CGI graphics/backgrounds more than anything, but Taboo was actually very sparing with it. I find the flying viewpoint business very phony and makes me aware I'm watching a show, puts distance for me as viewer instead of making me feel part of a scene.

20. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

The guy with the head tattoo, isn't he the same actor who played Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire? Quite a transformation!

jriems likes this.
  21. hanleyp

hanleyp Forum Resident

I might have to go back and watch the episode with the subtitles on

vince likes this.
  22. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

My English is quite reasonable, but whenever a drama-series is on the BBC it has to be subtitled...all of these mumbled and muttered accents...:)

23. vince

He'll always be Tommy from "Snatch" to me!

24. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I said the same thing to my wife last night when I saw him.

25. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

Yes, Tom is Hardly a comedian.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.