Talk Me Into (or out of) a Mac/B&W Combo

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rgcoleman9, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rgcoleman9

rgcoleman9 Member Thread Starter

Hi, folks --

I rarely post here, but enjoy reading. I've learned a lot.

I want to upgrade my stereo. I've wanted a McIntosh/B&W setup since I was little and, well, I've come into some money. I'm thinking the MA7000 integrated and the B&W 803ds.

Am I out of my mind?

My nephew, who is an audio engineer, suggested Bryston and Martin Logan, but I'm not a big fan of electrostats. Bryston separates and Martin Logan Spires would be equally as expensive.

I'd love to hear your opinions

PS: Also thinking VPI Classic and Oppo BP95 as front end.:)

2. whaleyboy

whaleyboy Senior Member

I have a McIntosh/B&W setup that I used to use for music and that I now use for a theater.

It works for me - I have the 7205 (it works for 2 or 5 channels) and the Matrix 805 speakers. Those speakers are smaller and probably less awesome than the 803ds but I have many, many, hours of musical bliss from that configuration.

I use something else now - not out of unhappiness - I was just able to dedicate a room to being a 2 channel music room and I left the Mac stuff in a theater.

I also use the VPI Classic and I just love it. It gets a great deal of use, it has been stone cold reliable and I love the sound.

It goes without saying that you should give the B&W speakers a good, long, listen with that amp to make sure that you enjoy the combination. There are lots of wonderful speaker options that will work well with that amp ;)

3. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

Go listen and see what you like. That's a lot of money. Ive got a pair of 802 Diamonds that I really like, used both with Mc amplification and Audio Research.

gingerly likes this.
  4. motorcitydave

motorcitydave Enlightened Rogue In Memoriam

I would try both McInotsh and Bryston with those B&Ws and see what you think. But definitely try before you buy!

As for the front end; those are good choices. Try those out too.

5. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

I run MC252, C46, B&W 805. McIntosh + B&W is a great combo. You will love it.

6. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

There are a number of satisfied B&W 800-series/McIntosh owners on the Forum, so you can feel confident that the combination works.

The 803 is an excellent speaker, and can easily sit on the end of very high power and high quality amplification. I don't know why, but McIntosh doesn't float my boat. Given the $8k price of the MA7000, I suggest you also try to listen to the Pass INT-150, Parasound Halo JC 2/A21 pre-/stereo power combination, and a similarly priced Bryston combination. At this price level, several extended listening sessions are called for to determine the best combination for you.

Can you run to the 802D? It's a big step up from the 803, price- and performance-wise, but worth it if you have the budget and room.

7. shucky ducky

shucky ducky Forum Resident

I am very satisfied with my 2 channel setup; MC6600, B&W 805 Diamonds, and the Oppo bp95 as a source. Lots of detail throughout the audio spectrum. Lots of power in reserve. The 6600 took about a week to burn in, but after that everything I throw at it just sounds wonderful. I think you would be very satisfied with that combination.

But as others have suggested, if a listening test is available, let your ears be the judge. One thing I would suggest is try to make up your mind now if you are gonna want tubes in the signal chain. If so, I would go the tube pre/ ss power amp route. Maybe a mc2300 into one of the newer macintosh amps.

If a listening test is not available, http://www.audioclassics.com/ has a wonderful policy that would let you try the equipment in your house. There grading system on used gear is very conservative... a B1 grade actually looks brand new to me. The only problem with this route is these Mac amps are VERY heavy... you will break into a sweat trying to get these out of the box. :laugh:

8. motorcitydave

Good advice there, Black Elk. :cool::thumbsup:

9. Bluesided

Bluesided New Member

I would go with the McIntosh but not those speakers - Tannoy, Magnepan or Vandersteen instead.

I would also recommend adding a comparable analog front end, or playing only high res digital but not cd or (shudder) lossy digital.
    Garbage in, garbage out as they say. Your high end equipment will only reveal the limitations of your sources.

(I read in your older posts you already buy new lps, this is a good start)

10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Try to avoid advice given by electrical engineers , they judge things on specs not listening tests .

11. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

I bet they make a good combination BUT the B&W's are not the only decent speakers in that price range. I personally would listen to Sonus Faber Cremonas as well - seen many combinations of McIntosh & SF over here in germany. I think the Cremonas do look much better, too.
    Buy whatever pleases you, but unless you always wanted a MacIntosh with Bowers & Wilkins speakers, settle on the Mac but test at least another pair of speakers, so that you have a point of reference as well as an idea about the quality of the B+W's among their peers.
    Of course there are countless more great speakers at that price level; I just happen to love Sonus fabers sound..

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have a MA6600, which is the model before MA7000. I had it almost 3 years now, and I used it with Paradigm, Quad, Sonus Faber and now KEF.
    It's a great sounding amp, worthy of the Macintosh legacy. In addition to great sound, it has nice features also, like an excellent MM phono, EQ, headphones etc.

You cannot go wrong with a Mac IMO, but you need to think carefully about your speakers. You need to auditioned different pairs to see how they sound.
    You cannot buy speakers based on internet recommendations.

Slick Willie likes this.
  13. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Funny, the Cremonas was what I had, I agree, they were sounding great with the Mac. Although ultimately I prefer KEF, Sonus Faber is definitely a good choice.

14. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Mac + B&W combo has served me well for 10+ years. And considering how often I upgrade the rest of my gear, it speaks volumes that the speaker/amp combo has remained in place.

Try to listen before you buy, but that MA7000 + 803 combo should be pretty incredible.

15. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

No more needs to be said. You will have great sound, but I'd target the 802D.

16. motorcitydave

He got advice from an audio engineer. Read the post again.

17. motorcitydave

I concur.

Now for Bryston, I would at least audition the BP26 preamp and the 14BSST2 amp. Nothing lower in the line for the 803 or 802 speakers.

18. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have a pair of 803D's being fed by a Mac tube combination C500 pre and MC2000 power amp. Living in an apartment in Tokyo, I can't listen at loud volumes, but the combination really works for me (primarily classic rock, alternative and R&B). I would caution that the burn-in for the 803D's is critical. I had an opportunity to compare a pair out of the box against a pair that had been sitting in the store for a few months. The difference was significant.

I would love to try out the MA7000 - that's the new one with the equalizer, right? I suspect that it will sound great, and you can have a nice time fiddling with the equalizer.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I recently listened to a Mac/B&W combo in a hi-fi store in Greenville, and it was amazing. Way out of my budget (which is currently 0), but amazing.

20. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yes, if you attend an audition, be sure to listen to a well-run in speaker.

I've written this here before, but it is worth repeating, unless you are a reviewer (with a short deadline) or operate a recording/mastering studio, just let the speakers break in through normal use. No need to run a CD on repeat for a week or two. Just accept that things won't be ideal until the driver surrounds loosen up a bit.

If you must force the break in, you don't need to run at high volume, just so long as the cones are moving enough to loosen everything up.

As for tmsorosk's comment, I have no idea who that is directed at. All the responses are either from satisfied B&W/Mac owners, Mac owners, or B&W owners. The few neutral responses have been of the 'nice for you' type. No one has referred to specifications. Several of the respondents are electronic engineers (myself included). My suggestions are based purely on extensive listening, nothing else!

21. TONEPUB

TONEPUB Senior Member

With the diamonds, it's more the tweeter than the woofer. I've gone through three pairs now and they break in at different rates, so the speakers sound pretty good right out of the box, but over the first couple hundred hours they sound different as the respective drivers break in. At first the woofers sound a little tubby and slow. Then after the bass tightens up the treble sounds a bit brittle until you get hours on the diamond tweeter. Finally, it all settles in very nicely.

Really enjoying the 802 Diamonds.

22. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Visit HiFi Buys on Nolensville Pike....they carry both McIntosh and B&W.

23. motorcitydave

In my opinion, tmsorosk read that post wrong. As I said before.

24. motorcitydave

Have you reviewed them yet?

25. rgcoleman9

rgcoleman9 Member Thread Starter

Ha ha...yes, I've done that! Which has caused me to lust in my heart! :)

Thanks for all the responses. Really appreciate the feedback!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.