Talking Heads' Signature Song

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oatsdad, Jul 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

Per Wikipedia: “A signature song is the one song (or, in some cases, one of a few songs) that a popular and well-established recording artist or band is most closely identified with or best known for, even if they have had success with a variety of other songs. There have also been instances where a film actor has acquired a signature song by giving a popular vocal performance in a feature. Signature songs can be the result of spontaneous public identification, or a marketing tool developed by the music industry to promote artists, sell their recordings, and develop a fan base.[1]

The OP is correct in that a signature song is an objective, not subjective, characterization. Of course no one can say for sure which song every person in the general public will identify with an artist. But it’s possible to get some idea, based on popularity, exposure, mentions in the media, etc. about what the average Joe on the street will say.

I think it must upset some people to know that a favorite song of theirs is not a “signature” song but it really shouldn’t affect how much we love a song, one way or another.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

You can't reconcile a bands original fans, for whom a signature has to do with their establishing their identity as a band, with a record buying public for whom a bigger hit is usually more signature.

The fans don't care how big they got on the charts, but the public don't care who they really are.

Also: Look a tthe results. I think it might be less of a blowout if some of the early contenders were listed.

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

Have you read some of the comments on this thread? Never say never! :D

No, I didn't really expect "Stay Up Late" to get many votes - or maybe even any - but it's also not some obscurity.

As it stands, every song in the poll has gotten at least 1 vote except for "Late" and "Girlfriend".

I admit I'm a little surprised about the latter because it's the song during which DB wore the "big suit" - that's arguably the most famous moment in "SMS"!

4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

That big suit was classic.

J_D__ likes this.
  5. Oatsdad

Et tu, Ralphe? :cry:

Yes, it is just a conversation - not meant to solve world hunger or anything.

But as the OP, I get a little tired of people who bitch at me because a) they think I left out some songs b) they think I included too many songs c) they don't like my criteria.

Of course it's a personal opinion of what the "general public" thinks is the artist's signature song, but that doesn't mean there's a one size fits all answer.

If someone doesn't like my criteria, they're welcome to run their own threads. Call those criteria arbitrary if you want, but them's the breaks...

6. Oatsdad

Um, "early contenders" are included. How much earlier than "Psycho Killer" does it get? :confused:

7. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

He chose kind of a random song to come out with the suit on... I never really felt like the song and the image were indelibly paired.

sunspot42 likes this.
  8. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Oh, don't worry about it Colin, we're cool.:)

9. Oatsdad

Perhaps, but the fact that the suit gave the song so much exposure seemed like it should've given the song more of a "signature song" boost!

10. Oatsdad

I'm not worried - you're the one who should worry! You've been added to the list!

[​IMG]

ralphb likes this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

:laugh:

12. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

14. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

How many songs from the first two LPs?

15. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Best known though is a tough nut to crack, especially globally, for a band that had radically different hits in the US and Europe (and presumably Japan, tho I haven't checked).

For legacy acts, the "best known" song can change radically thanks to contemporary exposure on film or TV.

For an act that has several well-known songs, it can come down to which best typifies their style, or the style they exhibited during their peak commercial period.

16. Oatsdad

2 - the 2 that made the most sense for the thread.

Songs being old doesn't make them "signature" by default. Plenty of artists' signature songs come a good way into their careers...

17. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

Oh OK. I associate River with Al Green too much to go there (and it's a cover.) 1 or 2 it is. Not many to a certain type of fan.

18. Oatsdad

Well, a cover can be an artist's signature, as discussed in that thread, and some people think "River" fits! :)

19. JDeanB

JDeanB Senior Member

I voted for Once In A Lifetime. Maybe in an alternate universe it might be Pulled Up”. I could live there.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

No doubt. I think a lot of people would pick "Respect" when asked about Aretha Franklin's signature song.

fenderesq likes this.
  21. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Back when I regularly saw The Heads at CBGB the regular irregulars of which I proudly considered myself a non-card carrying member would first and foremost associate Psycho Killer with the band. ...and a 1-2-3-4 count-off at breakneck speed with you got it... The Ramones. These days all you can do there is buy a pair of overpriced sneakers. Those were the days when you could find a better class of people inhabiting The Bowery. CBs stills lives in the hearts and pits of the stomachs of those of us who remember those day. Those days in New York were; Paris in The 30s, LA in The 50s, Post War Berlin and the Vegas Strip in The '60s all rolled into one. But I digress...

...Psycho Killer. Second place, if such a thing exists; in my ears would go to Take Me To The River.

Vaughan likes this.
  22. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

She did it better than Otis. THs River wasn't a threat to Al.

fenderesq likes this.
  23. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Nacho usually edits great Bowie material, but sometimes picks a different artist. Wonderful edit of Talking Heads' signature song Psycho Killer, live at the Mudd Club 1979.

Vaughan likes this.
  24. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

As the Gatekeeper of The Wizards' joint in Oz said; paraphrasing... "that's a horse of a different color." For me; I'm not looking at this as an either or thang. Both versions; different; neither really commenting on the other. Both classic!

For the record: My choice was... Psycho Killer and TMTTR would take over PKs' spot if something caused it not to able to fulfill it's obligations.

25. I picked "Once In a Lifetime" due to not only music but also the lyrical content. Funny thing about that band is that in my mind, I can reduce their truly great material into about a 1 CD compilation. But that quality of that compilation is just outstanding. Not a band of great songwriters or prolific songwriters, but they were good musicians, and they had a lot of interesting ideas. A conceptual, art-rock thing that really worked.

Their music benefitted from some of the limitations of the day. Once David Byrne had almost unlimited tracks and editing ability, I think the music suffered for it (and in his solo career). It became a little to considered and worked-over for my taste.

head_unit likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.