Tangerine Dream - Super Bit Mapping

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr123paul, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr123paul

mr123paul Member Thread Starter

I've bought a few of these cds over the last year or two & think that they're really good.

Today I picked up a second-hand 'Rubycon' SBM issue & it's sounding ok so far. My old vinyl versions of these lps are a bit worse for wear these days, so cd seems to be the way to go. I particularly like 'Ricochet', 'Stratosfear' & now 'Rubycon' as I only really listen to their 70s Virgin-era output.

Other odd releases of theirs I have are things that I picked up in a bargain-bin a few years ago: Bootleg Box Vol 1 for £5 and for £1.99 a cd on the 'Disky' label. This one was released in '96, I think and looks to have been imported from Holland. Looks like a super-cheap version, but I love the sound of it! he track selection is great too: 'Phaedra', 'Mysterious semblance at the strand of nightmares', @Movements of visionary', 'Sequent C', Rubycon Pt1' and 'Stratosfear'.

Anybody have a SBM cd version of 'Encore'? Any comments? Any views re. what's the preferred version of this?

My vinyl version of this is still (30 years later!) in pretty good shape, so I haven't bothered with a cd of 'Encore' yet, but want to get one soon.

Does anybody have any views about these SBM releases compared to previous cd issues?

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

I haven't listened to these in ages I have a few of the SBM discs I must revisit them.

I have the first West German pressing of Ricochet & Rubycon and these are my favourite versions. I will dig the SBM discs out and will re-compare them.

I only have the original pressing of Encore and like the way that was mastered.

Simon

3. darkmatter

4. mr123paul

thanks for the links, dark matter.

jeez, i find the search function on here er..er..er..'problematic' at best.

5. mr123paul

having read those threads, i assume that the SBM remasters are generally reckoned to be the ones to get, then?

shame there's no feedback re. a SBM issue of 'Encore'...anyone?

6. ricks

ricks Senior Member

I have several of the SBM's but in each case I preferred one of the "original" CD masterings. Not that the SBM's I've heard were bad, as they were not, but Tangerine Dream's sound is electronic to begin with, and the processed digital type sound of the SBM's remasters to me serves no favor as it makes for an even more cold and digital sound. Also the added Digital Compression, albeit generally light to moderate, and NR (on some of them) does not fall in line with my tastes. For me direct compares were the key.

Rick

7. darkmatter

:agree:

I have just dug a couple of the SBM discs out, Stratosfear & Logos Live and you have my full agreement, a bit loud with NR and compression :sigh:

Glad I never sold my originals.

Simon :)

8. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

It's horrible. Brickwall limiting. Not sure what happened there as the others I've heard in that series weren't treated that way.

I kind of prefer the original V/C discs of Phaedra and Rubycon by a slight margin over the 1995 remasters, but they are really very close. The remasters seem to have a bit more treble, but I kind of doubt they were sourced from different tapes. Simon Heyworth probably did some minor tweaking, is all.

9. darkmatter

Thanks for the feedback Jeff :righton: I will stick with my original copy of Encore.

Simon :)

10. mr123paul

yes, me too. looks like my original vinyl will have to continue doing the job.

11. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Speaking of 'Encore' (or we were a few months ago, anyway), does anyone have the 7" single with 'Hobo March' on the b-side? It's never been added as a bonus track nor (to the best of my knowledge) has it ever appeared on a compilation. Was it just an except from one of the 'Encore' tracks with a different title or is it an actual rarity worth tracking down?

12. Graham Start

Graham Start Forum Resident

It's the same tune as Edgar Froese's "Ode To Granny A" from his Ages album. It might be a slightly different mix, I can't remember, but it might as well be identical. Unlike the 7" mix of "Monolight" which is quite different from the LP counterpart.

13. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Ah, thanks. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.