Taping Project: "Possibles" 1963, Please Vote! Mono v. Stereo (9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Chip,

More great suggestions! Jack The Ripper is one track that has eluded me.

Thanks!

Bob

2. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Unfortunately, I have no choice but to use the CD mixes!

Bob

3. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Bob, the PP&M LPs are very common so you can get the LPs for about a couple of dollars at a used LP store.

4. Bob Lovely

Bradley,

That would be great but, at present, I do not have a TT and cartridge so it will have be the CD's versions on this project.

Thanks,

Bob

5. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I understand.

6. Bob Lovely

Scepter Records Box

Friends,

Yesterday, I purchased this box in an effort to fill out some tracks for this project and to acquire Mono single versions of the some of big hits contained therein. I must say that I am very impressed with the sound on this box set. A gentle touch was used in the mastering and it produces some very pleasing sonics!

Highly recommended to those that do not have it!

Bob :)

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

That's great, Bob! One of my favorite parts is the studio chatter and instrument warming up at the beginning of Dionne Warwick's "I Say A Little Prayer". The sound of that track sparkles! It almost makes me like her version.

When do you plan to start the 1963 series? I'm thinking of tracking down an LP of the PPM greatest hits to transfer to CD-R. Without Steve, I would never have known the CD contained remixes.

BTW, not to jump the gun here, but Do you have the Buddah Box? It will be useful to you later on.

8. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I am listening to disc 3 from the box on my computer right now!

Thanks! Based on recommendations here, I picked up the Scepter Box. I plan to begin the recording on the project immediately following the Labor Day holiday weekend. With some good productive recording sessions, I should hit 1963 sometime in October.

I do not have the Buddah box but, I have a number of Bubblegum comps on both Buddah and Varese Sarabande. Between these comps, I have most of the big Bubblegum hits. The Buddah comps have the best overall sound.

Bob

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Trust me! That Buddah box has more than bubblegum! The bubblebum goes away at the end of disc one. Then the soul music takes over.

10. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I will check it out!

Bob

11. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Want to put this in the right place after wrongly going for 1964:

Four Strong Winds - Ian & Sylvia.

12. Bob Lovely

John,

Thanks! As these threads peter out, I print them off and place them in a three-ring binder by year!

Bob

13. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I've only ever heard the stereo mix, so if this is for public conception I'd like to hear the mono (if it's significantly different).

I've said this on other boards, but someone (EMI?) needs to release the whole album. I was finally able to find a copy after losing my original back when I was 13.

I don't think it's in print anywhere, including Japan!

14. Bob Lovely

Larry,

The Mono is more commonly available on CD. The Stereo mix was only released on CD last year on an ERIC records comp. The Mono is worth seeking out for the exact sound of the original hit single.

Welcome to the Forum.

Bob

15. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

Thanks Bob. I'll have to check, but I thought Sukiyaki was in stereo on the Capitol Anniversary CD "When AM was King." I have it at home. Once I can figure out how to make a decent CD copy from my turntable to my laptop, I'm going to have to try to make a CD-R of my old Capitol LP so I can listen to it at work.

16. Bob Lovely

Larry,

Mono on "When AM is King" but, it sounds great!

Grant is one of the experts here on TT to computer transfers!

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.