Taping Project: "Possibles" 1964, Please Vote! Mono v. Stereo (14)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob Lovely, Aug 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Lovely

Bob Lovely Super Gort In Memoriam Thread Starter

Steve,

Yeah!, I was fortunate. My Dad set me up. That big Jenson produced pretty good Mono bass on those old 45's...like Treat Her Right by Roy Head.

Beatles Mono versions--I assume they can be found on the EP box?

You bring up a bigger point that is worthy of note. As I have conducted research for this project, interacted with folks here, etc. I have discovered how many original Mono single mixes are missing from CD release. If I could find of them, I would use 'em! No Duophonics for this guy! :laugh:

Bob

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Bob, the problem with living in a Stereo (soon to be Surround) world, is that the amazing sounding authentic hit versions of many worthy songs have vanished completely from the digital realm, only to be found in the "antique" world of record collecting. It's sad, but not surprising.

3. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Bob,

I suggest you get a TT and start scouring the used record stores. Also, many of us have some of those old 45s.

4. Bob Lovely

Grant,

I have all those original 45's--some are pretty worn and some are near mint. I need to purchase a new TT and cartidge. Mine died in 98' (old age) and have yet to replace it--budget is a little tight right now considering all the reel tape (20 reels) and CD's I have purchased for this project.

A quandry, somewhat!

Bob

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Too bad you don't live closer. I could help restore some of those 45s.

6. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Sorry 'bout that, Chief ... I stand corrected.

7. Steve Hoffman

Tim, I wish it were true. I love that song!

8. Bob Lovely

Yeah!, you live too far away!:laugh:

I have over 1200 of them just packed away in moving boxes (argh!)

Seems kind of like a waste, doesn't it.

Bob :sigh:

9. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Suggestions for 1964 - Part 2

Soul Serenade - - King Curtis

You're No Good - - Betty Everet

S-W-I-M - - Bobby Freeman

Invisible Tears - - The Ray Coniff Singers (stereo) (One of my favorite RCS songs)

Pain In My Heart - - Otis Redding

Almost There - - Andy Williams

My Boyfriend Got a Beatle Haircut - - Donna Lynn

Baby's Gone - - Gene Thomas (needle drop) :righton:

A Letter To The Beatles - - Four Preps

Going Back To Louisiana - - Bruce Channel

Dance, Franny, Dance - - Floyd Dakil (regional hit) :righton:

Apologies for repeats.:)

10. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Great research as usual. You're No Good is a track that I have and a big oversight on my part (thanks!). Was S-W-I-M by Bobby Freeman the follow-up to C'mon And Swim? I have an Otis double CD anthology--is that track readily available?--probably on there. I have heard of the (2) Beatles novelty tracks--are they available on CD? Soul Serenade is an excellent track--good recommendation.

I have never heard the Gene Thomas, Bruce Channel and Floyd Dakil titles. You have :righton: after each so they must be gems?

No repeats in the bunch!

Thanks!

Bob

11. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Nevermind ... 'S-W-I-M' is nothing special ... I was thinking of 'C'mon And Swim'

Yes, it is on there ... but ... at the risk of stirring up the pot ... get a clean used copy (new, if you want to spend the $) of Warner Special Products' 'The Ultimate Otis Redding' 1986 which came up on the Rascals thread. I am not an audiophile ... but it sounds great on my $250 Panasonic boom box.

'My Boyfriend Got a Beatle Haircut' - - Donna Lynn ('I Wish I Were a Princess: The Great Lost Female Teen Idols' Collectors Choice 1997 CD)

'A Letter To The Beatles' - - Four Preps (Capital Collectors Series 1989 CD)

12. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Thanks for the info. I suppose that Otis CD is another one those 80's CD's that we should seek out?

Bob

13. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

That IS a great song...talk about ECHO-Drenched! No doubt, The Beatles heard it before most Americans!

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Whoa dad - Dance Franny Dance is a grade A pounder - I've got it in horrid fidelity on a Rhino Texas music comp - anybody know of a better sounding cd reissue of that Floyd Dakil Combo cut???

15. Pat

Pat Forum Detective

chip/Bob,

Rip Van Winkle is also on Sequel's "Love Power" CD (NEM 669)

As you might imagine (from my "budget" postings), I also have Hey Girl, Don't Bother Me-The Tams (on MCAD-20838). It is also on "On The Soul Side" (Time/Life Classic Rock series).

Bob,

If you have a Turtles or CD Wherehouse-type store near you, you can probably score The Tams CD (MCA CD) inexpensively!

16. Bob Lovely

Pat,

Thanks for the tip!

Bob

17. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

I checked with a friend who was involved with the Rhino CD ... they used his 45, judged the least worn of the 4 that were available, because they couldn't locate the tapes. As far as I know, the tapes have not turned up.:(

18. Bob Lovely

Chip,

I am curious about this track. Was it a regional hit? If so, to what extent?

Thanks!

Bob

19. Steve Hoffman

I've never heard it either.

There is soooo much music out there that I've never heard. It's frustrating.

20. Bob Lovely

Steve,

Especially from the older years when there were many, many more regional/local hit 45's.

Try these three on for size:

Kiss And Run--Bobby Skel 1964 Soft
    Walk Tall--Two of Clubs 1967 Fraternity
    Any Way You That Want Me--Liverpool Five 1966 RCA

All were big regional hits that have never appeared on CD, to the best of my knowledge.

Good point!

Bob

21. chip-hp

chip-hp Cool Cat

Yes ... it hit #7 in April, '64 on the KLIF Top 40 here in Dallas. It was on the local Jetstar Records (J-103), an Abnak label. It was leased (?) to Guyden (2111) for national distribution. With no name recognition outside of Dallas, I guess it got swamped by the British Invasion.

22. Bob Lovely

Chip,

Thanks! I enjoy hearing the story behind regional hits and how some made it nationally and some did not. Always interesting!

Bob :)

23. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Bob,

You might know something about this record:

"I Fought the Law" by Paul Stefan and the Royal Lancers

... on Citation Records no less! :D

My mother gave all of her old 45s to me years ago and this one was in there. Do you know the year this came out? Was it a regional hit here in Wisconsin?

24. Bob Lovely

ascot,

Sorry, I do not know anything about that one but, I did not grow up in Wisconsin (see my profile). I moved here in 1974. I know that the Robbs had several regional hits in the late 60's and they were from Wisconsin but, that one has me stumped. Tim Neely lives in Wisconsin, maybe he knows.

Bob

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Alas, I'm a relative Wisconsin newcomer, too; I moved here in 1995. Anyway, I'm too young to remember the age of regional hits. There were many in Philadelphia, but my radio listening days didn't really start until the early 1970s, by which time the Golden Age of Regional Hits was basically over. (We still had some regional hits in Philly as late as 1975, but they were rare.) American Top 40, MTV and radio consultants helped end that era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.