"Tarkus" LP - Island pressing for $25. Is it the best version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GKH, Jan 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Original US pressings of ELP are great sounding. Usually inexpensive too. I had the first LP & Trilogy cut by George Piros, and my US (Monarch pressed) Brain Salad Surgery....a promo copy.

I eventually replaced the first & Trilogy with UK islands - which do sound better. IMO they are not worth that UK cost difference unless you collect ELP and/or consider those early albums to be in your favorites. I do, so it was worth it to me. The US's are no slouch when compared to them.

The 1st LP was on a pink label only briefly before it changed to the 'pink rim'. The price difference is simply the ink on the labels. Some expensive ink there. Trilogy was on the island pink rim before Manticore took over in the mid '70's. The problem is getting a clean unworn copy. Thats why I say if you can get a clean US Piros, do so.

Norbert Becker likes this.
  2. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

I recently played "ebay roulette" and got an original UK, pink rim, porky/pecko in great condition. If anything, the seller under-rated the condition. It plays beautifully and sounds, well, pretty much as expected: superb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.