Taste/Rory Gallagher 1968-1970

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ranasakawa, Jul 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident Thread Starter

I am a big fan of Rory Gallagher, particularly Taste from 1968-1970. Those few studio albums are brilliant as is the 2 'Live' albums from 1971, Isle Of Wight & Live Taste.
    Problem is the sound on the debut studio album 'Taste' and the 2 Live albums sound atrocious, horrible etc.
    Why hasn't someone like Steve Hoffman had the chance to fix these up? Rory Gallagher deserves to be heard in the best quality available.

On a second note, there are some great video footage or Rory with Taste. Why hasn't this been done on a DVD as so much of Rory's solo stuff has?

Thanks for your thoughts on this............

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Good question and could not agree more.:righton:

3. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its the recordings themselves that are the issue. No mastering is going to turn these into something they're not. The first album has a lot of compression. The live albums do not sound much different to my ears from many other live rock shows of the era.

Incredible band and man though!

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I have the Live Taste on CD and as RauchRoll said it doesn't sound any different than any other live album of the era. No better but no worse either. I believe I have the old European Polydor disc, if memory serves me correctly.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I vaguely recall reading in the last year or so that a Taste live DVD of Isle of Wight was/is in the pipeline. Think it was in the "buying the rights" kind of phase (?). Sorry but I can't remember the details or where/when I read about it. Try googling it and going over to Rory's official website forum.

6. ranasakawa

I hope it does happen.

Thanks skipkid:righton:

7. Beech

Beech Forum Resident

I'm afraid that's probably true. For a start I doubt there is even a multitrack of it.

I know you're interested in 68'-70' but recently the Irish Tour (1974?) was released on DVD and it's quite good. It's a bit of a trip down memory lane for me!

8. ranasakawa

I have every Rory Gallagher on DVD & CD, Taste has not been represented on DVD except from a few bits and pieces.

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Great albums...never occurred to me that they didn't sound great.

10. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

There is actually a third live album called Live in Concert, it was recorded live at the Marquee in 1968 and released only in Germany on the Ariola label.

11. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Wow, I didn't know that! Is that available on CD, or just on LP back in the day?

12. celticbob

celticbob Forum Resident

Rory's Taste albums have been recently issued by Music On Vinyl. Are they worth picking up? All I own are the CD's.

13. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

I have On The Boards (Polydor import cd and vinyl), and they sound fine. Great album, btw.

Mark E. Moon likes this.
  14. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

Is anyone aware if the band's first single 'Blister on the Moon' / 'Born on the Wrong Side of Time' is available on CD? It was issued on Major Minor records in the UK, and the versions are not the same as the later album tracks (in my opinion the single versions are far superior).

15. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I'd like to hear those versions as well. Neither of my Best of Taste comps have them.:cheers:

16. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

Yes, I picked up a NM copy of this at a used record store in Germany last month and a pretty much Mint copy of Taste 'On the Boards' pressed by Deutsche Grammophon Hamburg. I am wondering if 'On the Boards' is a first issue, I imagine it is an early one, catalogue no. is Polydor 184366. Anyone here know?

Too bad though, the dealer also had the first Taste LP but I passed on that one, for economic reasons! The two I bought are in superb condition and play flawlessly. To think I was considering the Music on Vinyl reissue of 'On the Boards' but it was out of stock at Saturn and later the same day, I found the German DG/Polydor issue. I was very pleased .. to say the least!

17. garyt

garyt Forum Resident

The 2 tracks can be found quite easily on YouTube.

18. chillpill

chillpill New Member

Hey Chris,
    Just wondering if I can get some help here...Which Polydor import do you have? Do you have Taste (1st self-titled) on c.d.? Which is the best cd version of this album? These are two I have seen listed (they might be listings for the same version I do not know). Are either of these versions you have and how is the sound quality. Thanks for any help you can give.
    • Audio CD (6. Juli 1992)
    • Anzahl Disks/Tonträger: 1
    • Label: Polydor (Universal Music Austria)
    • ASIN: B0000074CX
    • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

LABEL: POLYDOR CATALOG: 841 600-2

Made in Germany. Barcode: 0 42284 16002 5

19. chillpill

chillpill New Member

I share your love for this artist although I am relatively new to the fold. Can you please tell me what are the best versions to get for the Taste albums on cd? I know none of them might be that great ...but which are the best of the bunch. This would help me so much! Thank you.

20. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

This is the Taste "On The Boards" (Polydor cd) that I have: 841599-2 (number on case spine, and face of cd)
    Also, noted on cd face: POL 899 and B.I.E.M. STEMRA. - Hope this is helpful info.

21. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Agreed as well. :righton:
    But all are essential to any Rory fan...

22. I have the debut on MoV vinyl. To me, it sounds great.

23. chillpill

chillpill New Member

Thanks!

24. rcdupre

rcdupre Flying is Trying is Dying

question: does anyone know what the TASTE first Japanese CD pressings are? I've been searching but I
    can't seem to find anything early-mid-late eighties..

25. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Last night actually i was watching some Taste footage,a power trio,i love it when Rory picks his alto sax!
    the song IT HAPPENED BEFORE IT'LL HAPPEN AGAIN is on of my favs:pineapple:but i prefer 1974 live Rory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.