TEAC "all in one" tt speed Q?..i know...i know

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Vinyl Addict, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

My daughter has a "all in one tt/cassette/cd player. I know... I know...
    but anyway, it turns too slow. I replaced the belt and lubed up the bearings and its still slow.

What else can i do? She spent $20 of her own money on it so i want to fix it for her.

2. Vinyl Addict

47 views, and no one has any insight?
    It seems to get up to speed now after a minute or so. I just keep playing the same p.o.s. record with the volume all the way down. Hoping the oil needs to keep working its way in.

3. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

It's probably a case of the motor bearings and shaft suffering from old lubricants. Is the motor accessible enough to spray some electronic cleaner into the bearings to flush things out?
    Then use a few drops of something like 3-in-1 oil for motors. The label on the oil will say "for electric motors" on it. This is important! The regular 3-in-1 is not good for this application.

4. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Those things are not exactly audiophile units. Correct speed probably was not their top design goal. As for oiling the motor, it probably wouldn't help if you dipped it in Texas. I would wrap one layer of electrical tape around the capstan to speed it up a bit.

narkspud likes this.
  5. Vinyl Addict

I dont know if i should try the tape or not. Its only slow for the first few seconds

6. utahusker

utahusker Senior Member

You're belt may be slipping a bit, probably due to a sticky bearing. Did you clean the pulleys with rubbing alcohol?

7. Vinyl Addict

That sir, i did not do. The platter is just plastic with the pulley built in. But i shall apply it on both pulleys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.